Thread: What's in your tankbag?

Clever Custom User Title Lifetime Supporter Jaydoc's Avatar

What's in your tankbag?

Thought it might be interesting to see what people carry in their tankbags, backpacks, etc... for emergencies when they're on long trips. Include tools, gimmicks, clothes, etc...

Myself:

Auto-inflating tire seal kit
    Electrical tape
    Duct tape
    Multi-tool
    Metric allen wrench kit
    First aid kit
    bungie cords
    Space blanket (you know those really thin silver ones)
    Signal Mirror (Why? I'm not sure but I've always carried one everywhere.)
    Fire starting kit
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9
    Not a slam, but I am curious if you've been on the board for 3 years, even if you've just been reading the board, why does this thread surprise you? I mean it's pretty much par for the course on here.

Re: What's in your tankbag?

My tail bag has a large center compartment with two lare side pockets which fit the $4.97 wal-mart first aid perfectly.

In one pouch I have the above mentioned first aid kit with extra gauses
    In the other I have a cleaned out kit and use the box - with it I have 4 minute epoxy, jb weld on a stick, utility knife, muffler/fuel tank repair patch kit, Gurrila tape, Gurilla glue and bambling wire and a tire flat repair kit - basically the "fix it" box.

I also carry the pouch that came with the bike that has some basic tools with some that I have added like a full range of standard allen wrenchs, current indicators and test leads.

I also need to add some point a master chain link and fuses.

The tools and first aid are generally taken on the long trips - first aid to treat injuries and everything else to treat bike first aid ie patching a tank that has been dented/cracked in a wreck.

The tail bag fits on the passenger seat and has been tested to speeds exceeding 180mph without issue and doesn't throw the weight off at all so it is also worthwhile to carry on day trips to the mountains close by.

-Clov
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Check out this thread (Dizzy D would be so proud of me for reviving an old thread!)

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...hlight=tankbag

Well, that one was a day trip thread vs a long trip. I have a prepared checklist of gear that I review before going out for 1 or more weeks. Items change for destination and intentions of course.

http://www.schelin.org/personal/plan...de/stage2.html

I'll print it before packing, make sure I have the necessities, add in the gear I picked up last time, and drop the stuff I found I didn't need last time.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Well, that one was a day trip thread vs a long trip. I have a prepared checklist of gear that I review before going out for 1 or more weeks. Items change for destination and intentions of course.

I'll print it before packing, make sure I have the necessities, add in the gear I picked up last time, and drop the stuff I found I didn't need last time.

Carl
    Great list Carl. I'll borrow that if you don't mind.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Great list Carl. I'll borrow that if you don't mind.
    No problem A quick look shows I need to do some editing of the list again from the last trip. The Handstand especially needs to go in the tank bag. Because of its location, I only waxed the chain at night and by the time I got home (10,000 miles later), it was almost dragging on the ground. I was afraid I was going to be walking home from Kansas

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Clever Custom User Title Lifetime Supporter Jaydoc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post

Carl
    Phenomenal list. I have a few things to add to my meager trip supplies, it seems.
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9
    Not a slam, but I am curious if you've been on the board for 3 years, even if you've just been reading the board, why does this thread surprise you? I mean it's pretty much par for the course on here.