Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously low oil

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Seriously low oil

The GS has an actuator arm that I am trying to do some research on. That could be the issue.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Sooooooo
    Sweetie pulled off the fairings, pulled the right side housing, and pulled the clutch. The steels were in really good shape. no scoring or warpage. The friction plates looked brand spanking new. No particles in the oil or in the side housing. We put everything back together.

Started the bike. Idled fine. When I pulled in the clutch lever, no problems, no noises. I went to drop it into first and it ground really hard. Tried to go from neutral to 2nd, same thing, hard grinding.

I have no clue as to what is wrong now.

Clutch springs are tensioned per the manual, exactly the right amount of oil, clutch lever is at the correct tension, everything is as it should be.

Any ideas?

not trying to be an ass...but it comes naturally for moi....

I had a similar issue when I changed the clutch for the VFR. I found out the hard way that all the Clutch disks are NOT the same.

If the disks are not on the correct place (order...one is different than the rest) it will start in neutral but pull in the clutch and try any gear and it will "CLUNK" stop the engine cold.

hope that helps.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Clutch cable is tensioned with no play in it.
    FYI your clutch cable should have some play in it so the clutch isn't engage slightly when the lever is released.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

AKA "Devaclis"

Right, normally we keep it that way. We were just making sure that we were getting full release on the clutch. Once we are done messing around it will have the standard play in it
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

BTW, What year is Piezy's GS?

I think you're dealing with two issues.
    1) Low oil.
    After the last oil change did you recheck the oil level after running it a little?
    The oil filter will soak up a little oil, but usually not enough to leave it as low as described. Maybe half a pint max.
    I've seen it run and it definitly doesn't seem to be burning enough oil to account for that much loss in so few miles.
    So the original cause is kind of a mystery.

2) Clutch issues:
    When you pulled the clutch disks did you clean them off and give them a little oil bath?
    If you ran it low on oil the friction/wear disks could get gunked up with pad material and cooked oil to the point that they're not seperating enough to allow oil between the individual disks.
    Also +1 on Steve's comment about confirming the order in which the wear/friction plates are stacked.
    If the clutch is the old style worm screw actuated type check that it is functioning and not worn out.

Don't bother with the dealership. We can tear into it this week and figure what's up.
    I have most of the calipers, guages, micrometers, etc. you should need to check tolerances for anything out of spec.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

If I had clacking coming from the top of the engine, I'd check the valve clearances.

If that didn't work I'd search here: http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?board=1.0

AKA "Devaclis"

yeah Jeff. The pads were in good shape. I pulled them all apart and checked each side of all of them. No gunk Also, the oil really was not that low. We put in about a quart to top it off to the correct level.

I found a few articles on GSTwins on how to adjust the 3 adjustable areas of the clutch so I will try that tonight.

Thansk for the GS link chica!! I have been on their site all day

um don't you have certificates for stealerships and aren't you always reccommending faster & tfog?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

AKA "Devaclis"

I have certificates for a Kawi place way up in Longmont. TFOG is booked out 3 weeks at least.

Maybe the claw mechanism in the clutch cover isnt grabbing the pin that pulls/pushs the clutch pack apart.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Maybe some jerk named Stuart threw a monkey in your garage with a box of superglue and told him to go apeshit (I'm not the best moto mechanic but I try to help)
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer