Thread: oil change

Board Newbie

oil change

Good morning, I have a question for you guys- i just started to do my oil changes on a 01 gsxr 1000 and the dude where i get my supplies recomended to use 4qt of r1 sysntetic oil i believe is 10-30. How good or bad is this opinion? I also was told to use 3qt. and just make sure the oil window is fulland just refill if nedeed. i have 34k on this bike already!

Re: oil change

A quick Google search reveals that that bike needs 3.4 quarts of oil. So make sure you get at least 4.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

By "just started" you mean you had someone else doing them before (and not "this is the first one, I've just been adding more when it runs low") right?

The owner's manual will have the quantity you need. It will vary a little depending on if you replace the filter or not (usually about 200ml), but I advocate always replacing the filter to make sure the oil is as clean as it possibly can.

Going off the quantity in your manual, put that exact amount back in the bike after draining the old and putting on the new filter. You will see it look a little too full in the sight glass - that's OK, it will return to normal the next time you warm it up and shut it off after the new oil fills the filter and gets circulated.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by 01gsxr1k View Post
    Good morning, I have a question for you guys- i just started to do my oil changes on a 01 gsxr 1000 and the dude where i get my supplies recomended to use 4qt of r1 sysntetic oil i believe is 10-30. How good or bad is this opinion? I also was told to use 3qt. and just make sure the oil window is fulland just refill if nedeed. i have 34k on this bike already!
    I echo the above regarding oil qty. I think on Suzukis it is also stamped on the case in ML right near the fill hole (3400ml- 3.4 L) and believe that the weight of oil required for your bike is 10W40.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I echo the above regarding oil qty. I think on Suzukis it is also stamped on the case in ML right near the fill hole (3400ml- 3.4 L) and believe that the weight of oil required for your bike is 10W40.
    Suzuki's do stamp it on there, but that quantity doesn't include filter changes. If you have the external spin-on type, a little more will be needed when changing that.

10W40 is correct.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I have the k3 gsxr1000 and I used pretty close to 4qt's when I last changed my oil. I was a little worried because the case does say 3400ml and the manual says 3.4qt and have been told too much oil in a motorcycle is bad juju. I did change the filter along with it and went by the little window on the side and filled 'er up til it was at the full line.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I use just a little over 3 qt when I change mine.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by pauliep View Post
    I was a little worried because the case does say 3400ml and the manual says 3.4qt and have been told too much oil in a motorcycle is bad juju.
    The bad juju is leaky gaskets I know from experience back in my younger days.
    11 BMW S 1000 RR

10/30 will be little too thin. Use 10/40 or 15/50 in the hot summer months. Fill the oil until the level is in the middle of the site window. Start the bike and let it warm up and then shut it off. After it cools down check the level again. Make sure you dont have the bike on a rear stand or it wont be accurate. Add oil until the level is back to the center of the site window. It's usually just over 3 quarts so the 3.4 is probably accurate.
    Pauliep- if you're putting 4 quarts in yours than its way too much....even if you pull the oil cooler off and drain that before you fill it.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I wasn't trying to to say I used 4 but close to it. My fourth quart container was less then half full when I was done. Now you got me all worried
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    10/30 will be little too thin. Use 10/40 or 15/50 in the hot summer months. Fill the oil until the level is in the middle of the site window. Start the bike and let it warm up and then shut it off. After it cools down check the level again. Make sure you dont have the bike on a rear stand or it wont be accurate. Add oil until the level is back to the center of the site window. It's usually just over 3 quarts so the 3.4 is probably accurate.
    Pauliep- if you're putting 4 quarts in yours than its way too much....even if you pull the oil cooler off and drain that before you fill it.
    One thing he forgot to mention - when sighting the quantity, hold the bike vertical, don't do it with the bike on the side stand. What Jim mentioned is also valid though - both wheels should be on the ground supporting the bike.

than sincere ignorance

Board Newbie

Thanks a lot for your help! I've been using 4qts for about 4 oil changes already, and just till now when i start the bike it sounds like the idle is a little too weak and a cracking noise comes out of or close to the oil filter. Also when i press the clutch this noise get softer, i overheard that chaanging the basket and clutch would get rid of this problem. What do you guys think?