Thread: oil change! basket and clutch replacement!

Board Newbie

oil change! basket and clutch replacement!

Good morning! thank you guys for the feed back on the oil change question I had, now i have another problem- since i've been running on 4qts of fully synthetic 10-30 oil for about 9months already if not more ,and since my last oil change on april 28th the bike is making a funny noise,it sounds like the idle is a little weak, when i start the bike if dont stay on the gas until it reaches a temp of 85f it will cut off. Also the noise sound like is coming from or around the oil filter along with a deep knocking noise! when im riding it seems to be fine but when you get to a stop and put it in neutral you are able to hear the noise and as soon as i press the clutch it get softer, i overheard that replacing the basket and clutch might fix the problem!
    Last edited by 01gsxr1k; Thu May 8th, 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: oil change! basket and clutch replacement!

I don't think an oil change caused your clutch basket to go out, but without hearing the noise it's hard to say what is going on.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Agree with rforsythe on this one. The extra oil, if it was a problem, would have much more likely caused seal leaks than any kind of clutch wear problem. If you think the clutch is a problem I'd start by replacing the plates. Sometimes the tabs on them get worn and cause a sloppy fit in the clutch basket. Stock baskets are pretty durable and it takes some serious force (or miles) to wear them out.

I have almost no experience with GSXR's so don't know what their common issues are, so this is where I would start.

s

Every GSXR I have had seems to have a noisy clutch and gets quiter when its disengaged. (konichd will now have a smart-ass reply )
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Every GSXR I have had seems to have a noisy clutch and gets quiter when its disengaged. (konichd will now have a smart-ass reply )

Hmmm...the ducati has a bit of a noisy clutch (kinda always)...wonder what anyone has to say about that

(I beat Konichd to the smart ass reply WOOHOO)

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

The GSXR's is as smooth as butter, however it does have some Kawi bolts so that could have directly affected its performance
    Last edited by konichd; Mon May 19th, 2008 at 07:27 AM.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I have almost no experience with GSXR's so don't know what their common issues are, so this is where I would start.
    The most common issue is that it's a Suzuki.

And no I'm not joining the DK camp, I own a Suzuki, shit I'm on my 3rd. But I'm a realist too.

That notwithstanding, while Zuki's do make some noise, if it's a new noise that wasn't there before, it bears looking into. I'm happy to listen to the bike and give my non-professional diagnosis, as I'm sure many others are, or you can take it down to Faster or TFOG and have someone there give their thoughts as well.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

If memory serves, the 01-ish models of GSXR's had the problem with the shifter star bolt backing out and touching the backside of the clutch basket. The symptoms you describe sound suspiciously like this is the cause. It's a pretty easy fix if you have the proper tools - being an impact wrench and a socket to fit the nut that holds the basket, which I think is a 36mm (Jim?).

You'll have to pull the cover and the clutch pack and basket. The shifter star, and the bolt that holds it in are in the lower left and are pretty obvious. If the bolt is loose, pull it out and clean it and the hole with brake clean, and put some red lock-tite on the bolt before re-installing. "Snug" (20-ish lb-ft) is plenty, then re-assemble everything else. If you lean the bike a bit towards the left side, you can do all this w/o losing any of your new oil.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    If memory serves, the 01-ish models of GSXR's had the problem with the shifter star bolt backing out and touching the backside of the clutch basket. The symptoms you describe sound suspiciously like this is the cause. It's a pretty easy fix if you have the proper tools - being an impact wrench and a socket to fit the nut that holds the basket, which I think is a 36mm (Jim?).

You'll have to pull the cover and the clutch pack and basket. The shifter star, and the bolt that holds it in are in the lower left and are pretty obvious. If the bolt is loose, pull it out and clean it and the hole with brake clean, and put some red lock-tite on the bolt before re-installing. "Snug" (20-ish lb-ft) is plenty, then re-assemble everything else. If you lean the bike a bit towards the left side, you can do all this w/o losing any of your new oil.
    Ah I completely forgot about that on the 01's and I had to tighten mine back down.

Found a link on how to replace it, so just tightening would be similiar http://books.google.com/books?id=kFg...l=en#PPA222,M1
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I forgot about that f'n shift star too.

My 600 would back that thing out all the time. Even locktite wouldn't hold it as well. I eventually stuck a later-model GSXR1000 part in there and it held better. One trick, if you have access to someone that can do it, is to get the screw in the star properly and then tack weld it to the star itself. The only way it's gonna back out after that is if you grind it off.

I should note though that when my shift star backed out, I didn't really get clutch basket noise, but I hit false neutrals all over the place.

than sincere ignorance

Board Newbie

Thank you again for your help guys! I'll be working on it this weekend- hopefully I can get my wheels back on the road soon! also thank you for the website about replacing the bolt!