Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealin wit tha Police!

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: Dealin wit tha Police!

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
    long rides I wear helmets, to work and back I normally don't setting in traffic gets to hot with a full face helmet on
    I hope you don't crash... sweat wipes off, road-rash/brain-damage doesn't.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

I don't buy the "never admit to anything" train of thought. I mean, you won't admit to anything you haven't done, correct? I've been pulled over 9 times in 8 years and only got one ticket and that was for a 55 in a 45 and Morrison PD brought it down to defective equipment and a $45 fine. Back to admitting what you've done, one late night I was headed back to Kittredge passing through Evergreen and I was speeding trying to get home when these headlights appeared out of nowhere, I looked down at my speedometer and saw 63mph and the speed limit was 40mph. Sheeyat... Officer asked me how fast I was going and did I know what the speed limit was I told him and he took my papers back to the cruiser, after a bit he walked back and I saw that he had his business card out. Yes! A warning! He gave me back my stuff and said "I appreceiate the fact that you didn't try to BS me, slow down okay?" The mand had me for reckless driving and he let me go. Once I was hauling the mail up Pikes Peak in my Subaru Impreza RS (full roll cage, etc) with a video camera going and got pulled over, again I was polite and admittted to what speed I was doing but I did tell the officer that I didn't see nay speed limit signs and he told me the "implied" limit was 35mph even with no signs in the mountains. He let me off with a warning and told me to keep it down to a dull roar (got it all on video). I used to joke that I'm not even going to bother to pull over becuase I know they'll let me go...

My rule of thumb is 5 over up to 50 mph then 10 over above that. If pulled over I do it as quickly as possible but I'll also wait a bit to find a safe spot to do so. I'm unfailingly polite and I answer, yes sir, no sir, no matter what. It's no guaranty that you'll get let off but it doesn't hurt to be polite.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Agreed, if you’re cool with cops, they are usually cool with you. I’ve been stopped a number of times by various departments with just a verbal or written warning.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC51BUZZ View Post
    ... and don't wear an ipod.
    Are you saying 'don't wear an ipod when you ride', or '(if you do) take the earbuds out & turn it off'?
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider_9 View Post
    They are people just like we are. They are doing their job. Treat them with the same amount of respect that you would want to receive. If you are guilty of something, don't get all butt hurt and have an attitude when you get busted for it. If you don't want to get busted, stay within the limits of the law. If not, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    I agree with this statement...Respect is the key, But.. Even If you're cool, they may just site you for The offense anyway. (Take it like a big boy or girl) Just good ole fashioned, random dumb luck alone will get you out of a ticket..
    Every man dies..
    Not every man really Lives...

www.myspace.com/5thdynasty

Greetings all. This being my first post and all, I guess I should introduce myself.

I am a cop, but I still love to ride. I've ridden street bikes for the last 19 years and even though I know my supervisors would disagree, I do enjoy riding a little faster than the speed limit at times. I don't stunt and I wear my gear ALL THE TIME. It may not be full leathers, but I won't be confused with some squid that wears shorts, flip flops, and his hat turned backwards. I'm also not going to cut in and out of traffic like some idiot either.

Here's my take on cops. Since I am one and work with them, it gives me a wonderful insight that most don't have. Let's face it, nobody likes getting pulled over. I've only been stopped once on my bike and it wasn't for speeding. Since I became a cop 10 years ago, I've been stopped for speeding in my car two or three times. Since I'm always armed, I tell him who I am and that I have a weapon in the vehicle/on my hip/whatever. Yes, there's some professional courtesy, but we'll just call it a perk of the job. If you work at Starbucks, you can drink free coffee, so don't complain.

As it has been pointed out, cops are just like anybody else. If you look around your office, you'll see people that are complete a$$holes/biches, a few idiots, some that don't talk very much, some that make you wonder if they're going to bring a rifle to work the next day, some that have no other function but to suck up to the boss, some people that you really enjoy hanging out with, etc. Well, it's the same here.

There are two guys I work with that are complete a$$hats. It's just their personalities. I can't stand them, so I stay away from them. Every contact they have with the community results in them telling the dispatcher, and every other cop on shift, about how beligerent or argumentative the violator was. It's funny to me because in ten years, I can count on two hands the number of people who have been argumentative or di(kheads during a traffic stop (not counting the drunks, tweakers, criminals, etc. that fight to avoid going to jail), but these guys have that many in one shift. Something tells me it's not the violator, but the way the officer conducts himself. If you get stopped by these guys, you can be as polite or courteous as possible and they'll still hem you up.

On the other hand, you have guys like me who don't care much for writing a million tickets. When I was working the road, I was more interested in finding drunks, drugs and real criminals than I was with writing a guy a ticket for doing 10 over. Naturally, I wrote tickets, but 90% of the time, the reason for the stop was so I could make contact with someone and look for other things (I can't find 'em if I'm not stopping someone). When I worked nights, I'd write a few tickets for the first few hours, then spend the rest of my night looking for people who should spend their time in jail instead of on the streets.

First and foremost, don't do the crime if you're not willing to accept the consequences. You want to do 130 MPH and cut in and out of traffic, don't be surprised if the officer gets a little heated as he tries to catch up to you. You can go to jail for Reckless Driving and if you're driving/riding like an a$$, chances are you will. When the lights go on behind you, find a safe place to stop. Don't slam on your brakes as soon as you see us. If you don't notice we've lit you up until after you've passed a safe place, don't just stop in the middle of the road. While you're thinking, "Well, he just wants me to stop, so I'll stop RIGHT HERE!", we're thinking, "WTF is wrong with this idiot??? Why does he stop in the middle of the friggin' road when there's a side street/wide shoulder/parking lot/etc. a hundred feet ahead of us?"

Keep your hands on the steering wheel or grips. If you're on your bike, kill the engine and set the stand down. The faster we see your hands, the sooner we know you don't have a weapon in them. DO NOT go reaching into your glovebox!!! Remember, we're walking up from behind, sometimes at night, so we have no clue what you're reaching for. Sure, 99% of people will just be getting their registration and insurance, but 1% are trying to hide something or reaching for a weapon. We consider everybody to be in the 1% until we see otherwise.

Once the actual contact begins, if the cop happens to be a di(k, don't respond in kind. Arguing or giving us an attitude is only going to get you in more trouble than it's worth. Sure, you feel good because you spoke your mind, but you're walking away with a summons or additional charges because you decided to be an a$$hole. I'll admit, most of the time, I've made up my mind on whether I'm writing a ticket or not before I've even turned my lights on. I do this so that way your attitude doesn't influence my decision, but the truth is, it does sometimes. I've made up my mind to give you a verbal warning, but then you start acting like a jacka$$, well guess what happens? At the same time, there have been a few times that I had every intention of writing someone up, but their attitude got them out of it.

Let the officer dictate the stop. As I said before, don't just go reaching into your glovebox before we've even talked to you. Be polite and respectful. Don't talk to us like we're one of your homies on the street corner. If the officer has an attitude, don't return it, just let it run off you like water off a duck's a$$. Don't come up with some convoluted excuse because we'll know you're full of crap. You're far better off saying something like, "Officer, I apologize. I knew I was going too fast/didn't realize I was going that fast/wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been/etc." DO NOT question the officer's integrity or blame some other driver (I've had a driver tell me the person they just PASSED was actually going faster than the violator. Yes, it defies the laws of physics, but that shouldn't matter, right?). If you disagree, do so respectfully, but understand that any statements you make can and probably will go in our notes.

Also, if you're clocked by radar vs. laser makes a difference. If I'm running laser, I have a target reticle that I'm aiming directly at your car, which means I'm not clocking the semi next to you, the car behind you, the car going the other way, or whatever. It's your vehicle I'm aiming at and the laser widens at a rate of something like 3' at one mile or something minute like that, so it's not like I'm . Radar is a bit different in that the beam expands at a greater rate, so it becomes more of a judgment call. Sure, there are times where the violator makes it so obvious that you know beyond the shadow of a doubt who it is. For instance, a vehicle in the right lane is doing 55-60, while the guy passing is doing 82. Our visual estimate of the guy passing will put him in the 80-85 range, which matches the radar's reading of 82 MPH, so we obviously aren't going to confuse the vehicle at 82 with the person in the right lane at 60. When it gets a little trickier is when there is a group of cars and the guy going faster is only going a few MPH faster than everyone else. Sure, he'll still be passing, but someone passing at 67 MPH when everyone else is doing 63 doesn't provide the same reference as someone passing at 10 MPH faster than the vehicle they're passing. Also, despite what your cousin's sister's boyfriend's friend's uncle who was a tow truck driver and knew a cop told you, the State of Colorado does NOT require us to show you the radar or laser. I've shown people the laser before because it's a handheld device that allows me to take it up to the violator's vehicle, but the radar can be mounted to my vehicle (and, yes, it can clock you as you're coming towards me and going away from me in the opposite direction or coming up behind me or pulling away from me in the same direction) and I don't want people out of their vehicle unless I have a reason.

I know it's long and I do apologize for that. If y'all have any other questions, feel free to ask or PM. Keep the shiny side up all!

Edit: I didn't realize this topic was a zombie before I started typing (being brought back from the dead LOL)

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    the State of Colorado does NOT require us to show you the radar or laser. I've shown people the laser before because it's a handheld device that allows me to take it up to the violator's vehicle, but the radar can be mounted to my vehicle (and, yes, it can clock you as you're coming towards me and going away from me in the opposite direction or coming up behind me or pulling away from me in the same direction) and I don't want people out of their vehicle unless I have a reason.
    I do want to point out one thing, As you do not have to show the gun you do have to show the printed out stub that comes out of it. Yes when you ask to see the gun, the cop can say no. If i ask to see the stub, and he still says no. then well thats a lot more fun to handle...

btw thanks for all you do.

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

CaneZach- good post and thanks for the insight! Welcome!
    '06 CBR1000RR

Once the actual contact begins, if the cop happens to be a di(k, don't respond in kind. Arguing or giving us an attitude is only going to get you in more trouble than it's worth. Sure, you feel good because you spoke your mind, but you're walking away with a summons or additional charges because you decided to be an a$$hole. I'll admit, most of the time, I've made up my mind on whether I'm writing a ticket or not before I've even turned my lights on. I do this so that way your attitude doesn't influence my decision, but the truth is, it does sometimes. I've made up my mind to give you a verbal warning, but then you start acting like a jacka$$, well guess what happens? At the same time, there have been a few times that I had every intention of writing someone up, but their attitude got them out of it.
    Yup... all about attitude... nice sized, perky, beautiful attitude!

Welcome to the club... stay safe out there.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Welcome CaneZach. Definitely some great info given by you, much appreciated! Always good to hear the right way to do it from the other side of the fence.

(You wouldnt happen to be on gixxer.com also?)
    For My Diavan

Quote Originally Posted by t_jolt View Post
    I do want to point out one thing, As you do not have to show the gun you do have to show the printed out stub that comes out of it. Yes when you ask to see the gun, the cop can say no. If i ask to see the stub, and he still says no. then well thats a lot more fun to handle...

btw thanks for all you do.

Tyrel

Actually, there is no "stub" that comes out of either my radar or laser. By stub, I'm assuming you're refering to a computer printout? I've never seen a radar that operates like that and I've used Stalkers, Eagles, and a different brand, though I don't remember the name (might have been Kustom Signals, though I think they made the Eagle). The lasers I've used have been Laser Atlanta, LTI, and ProLaser by Kustom Signals. None of the radars nor the lasers have ever printed out a stub.

Quote Originally Posted by Craven_Morehead View Post
    Welcome CaneZach. Definitely some great info given by you, much appreciated! Always good to hear the right way to do it from the other side of the fence.

(You wouldnt happen to be on gixxer.com also?)
    Craven, you know this!!! Actually, I think I followed your link to this board

Craven, you know this!!! Actually, I think I followed your link to this board
    LOL...well welcome to the madness my friend!!
    For My Diavan

Actually, there is no "stub" that comes out of either my radar or laser. By stub, I'm assuming you're refering to a computer printout? I've never seen a radar that operates like that and I've used Stalkers, Eagles, and a different brand, though I don't remember the name (might have been Kustom Signals, though I think they made the Eagle). The lasers I've used have been Laser Atlanta, LTI, and ProLaser by Kustom Signals. None of the radars nor the lasers have ever printed out a stub.
    Here you go, get some of these and keep them in your cruiser for the stub demanders...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for what you do.Attitude is key,I admit,there's been a few times when I got pulled over and could/should have been ticketed but I was not.So, since I have no tits it must have been the attitude.

welcome to the forum mr. police officer sir.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

AKA "Devaclis"

Holy shit, is that Gainer?

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

actually that's JJ(FOOLDS) before he went on the Jared Diet
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

I was flying down 115 towards the springs, right before my ship out date in the USMC...I saw the cop as I was flying by. I must have been doing at least 95. Once I saw the guys cruiser I just pulled over and waited for him...no way he could have missed me...

He let me go with a warning...I didn't even have my current license with the bike endorsement...He told me it was damn nice of me to stop and he didn't want to have to impound such a nice bike so I had better slow it down...I did 5 under the rest of the way...Talk about luck...

Just like the officer said, it's all about respect...
    Last edited by DeVeck; Fri Jan 9th, 2009 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guessinthe2000 View Post
    ditch that biatch.... They can only get you when they got helicopters after you... LOLL
    LOLLL, nice...

Let's be honest....I think we all speed...even cops speed in their POV's. For cryin out loud...these bikes are not designed to go 50mph. It's a waste if your limit is 55 on a bike >600cc's.. Get a scooter for $1500 and you'll never get a speeding ticket...and if you do...just show the officer your speedometer limit of 70..lol. Otherwise...speed when you can get away with it.

Speeding doesn't kill people and never did... my .07 .
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Greetings all. This being my first post and all, I guess I should introduce myself.

Once the actual contact begins, if the cop happens to be a di(k, don't respond in kind. Arguing or giving us an attitude is only going to get you in more trouble than it's worth. Sure, you feel good because you spoke your mind, but you're walking away with a summons or additional charges because you decided to be an a$$hole.

Let the officer dictate the stop. As I said before, don't just go reaching into your glovebox before we've even talked to you. Be polite and respectful. Don't talk to us like we're one of your homies on the street corner. If the officer has an attitude, don't return it, just let it run off you like water off a duck's a$$. Don't come up with some convoluted excuse because we'll know you're full of crap. You're far better off saying something like, "Officer, I apologize. I knew I was going too fast/didn't realize I was going that fast/wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been/etc." DO NOT question the officer's integrity or blame some other driver (I've had a driver tell me the person they just PASSED was actually going faster than the violator. Yes, it defies the laws of physics, but that shouldn't matter, right?). If you disagree, do so respectfully, but understand that any statements you make can and probably will go in our notes.

Edit: I didn't realize this topic was a zombie before I started typing (being brought back from the dead LOL)
    Great post, but one thing I'd like to add being an x LEO myself is that many people (including LEO's) have seemed to forget on thing. Police officers work FOR the public..PERIOD! Not the other way around. The public joe is the one that should recieve the respect first and foremost...not the other way around. We have lost sight of this in our country.

To serve and protect.

With that being said, if you (joe public) are not in the wrong..stand your ground. As there is no reason to be fearful of a LEO if you have not done anything wrong. And if for some reason he/she gets and attitude with you for something... take it with a smile and as soon as it's over..write everything down that occured and burn his/her behind in court. The reason I say this..is because the LEO's that have attitudes and ego's need to go. They get partners and innocent people killed.

I have been in a few tight situations while on duty and have to say that loosing the ego and remembering that we were there to serve joe public first... always made just about any individual or situation much easier to deal with.

.07 cents
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

I am a cop, but I still love to ride.
    Welcome to the board.

Off subject, but of interest to many of us on the board, is your take on how one should act when stopped if one has a CCW permit, and is carrying. Colorado doesn't require you to be notified like Utah does, but it's basic courtesy. How would you prefer us to proceed?
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

JUst be friendly and they give a helping hand... just ask
    I can't reach my license can you hold my beer?

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful, hate me because I'm better than you, better yet, hate me because I'm fuckin bad ass!!!"