Thread: Aging of the Eyes

Aging of the Eyes

Happens to everyone eventually. I can see fine distance-wise with contacts but I can’t see shit up close with them. I wear one power for work and another for play, and I have to take them out for any kind of up close detail vision. Working on my bikes is a glasses on, glasses off kind of deal. My eye doc suggested reading glasses to wear while wearing my contacts, but I refuse to wear contacts and glasses at the same time! A buddy of mine got bifocals and could not get used to them...waste of $500. Lasik correction for distance and reading glasses seems like a good alternative. Any you other foggers do this?
    Last edited by FZRguy; Mon May 12th, 2008 at 02:11 AM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Aging of the Eyes

Just went back to the eye doc after a six year hiatus. Went up +.25 on the bifocal. Nice to be able to read again ---- and see the tack on the instrument panel.

Got the new Rx last Sat afternoon. The orbits are finally settling down to the point it doesn't feel like I'm walking around on acid anymore
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'm an AF flyer and a lot of the guys in my career feild ended up there becuase of vision. A few years back the AF endorsed and began to pay for Lasik. So I know a lot of guys who have had it done, and they love it. Not all of them have ended up 20/20 buut they all improved. One of the biggest joys I have heard from them them is not having to grab for their glasses in the morning to see the alarm clock.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    ......it doesn't feel like I'm walking around on acid anymore
    ....SUUUUUURE it doesn't!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    A buddy of mine got bifocals and could not get used to them...waste of $500.
    Are you referring to bifocal contacts or glasses? I tried the bifocal contacts and could not get used to them. They just didn't work as well as bifocal glasses. I have tried the mono-vision approach too, one contact for close up and one for distance. Your brain will learn to switch eyes, but it is a crappy solution for a number of reasons. My eye doctor says he has never found a contact solution that does it all well. Haven't made the plunge for Lasik yet.
    Ciao

Member Lifetime Supporter CBRSue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Happens to everyone eventually. I can see fine distance-wise with contacts but I can’t see shit up close with them. I wear one power for work and another for play, and I have to take them out for any kind of up close detail vision. Working on my bikes is a glasses on, glasses off kind of deal. My eye doc suggested reading glasses to wear while wearing my contacts, but I refuse to wear contacts and glasses at the same time! A buddy of mine got bifocals and could not get used to them...waste of $500. Lasik correction for distance and reading glasses seems like a good alternative. Any you other foggers do this?
    These might help!
    Last edited by CBRSue; Fri May 30th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Susan

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I notice as I've gotten older, when I go to a bar, the "beer-goggles" tend to be more effective (and needed).......
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Well, that does kinda look like me Sue. My friend could not get used to bifocal glasses. Yeah, my doc mentioned the mono bit…just doesn’t sound safe at speed.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    Haven't made the plunge for Lasik yet.
    If you do and your eyesight changes again, you’ve got the same prob.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Has anyone here has Lasik or similar? I've worn contacts for the past 10 years and have considered it.

Is it worth it? How did insurance work with it? 20/20 for everyone?

-Clov
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"