Thread: Bike problem

Bike problem

hello everyone! This is not for me but one of my buddies. He's got a problem with his bike as he says below. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help!

I had a very knowledgeable guy do the following repairs to a 01 GSXR750:
    -change spark plugs -clean airfilter -replace a fan relay -and he basically tried to diagnose any other issues with the bike.

Now the history of this bike; I bought it 2 months ago. It was not taken care of by previous owner, the bike would run strong but would not go over 10K in 1st gear and would not go over 12-13K in any other gear, and the FI light would come on sporadically, so I know the bike has issues.

This "mechanic" told me the SVTA is probably bad because the butterfly valves are stuck open, but I still have yet to get a C28 code. Actually the bike has never put out a code. He also told me the fuel pump is not in optimal condition- it works, but he thinks it should be replaced, I am not sure the exact reason.

I got the bike back the other day and it runs like ****- like it has fouled plugs or water in tank. It is very sluggish. I told the guy and he tried to help. We found out the battery was close to dead, so it was replaced. Also I disconnected the Powercommander because the guy thought it might be shot.

Here is how the bike behaves now. When I turn the key there is hear a loud buzzing noise for 1-2 seconds coming from my fuel pump (not certain since haven't taken tank off), which wasnt there before. Everygear the bike is very sluggish, but if I keep the throttle wide open it slowly climbs through the RPM's and when it hits 7-8K RPM the bike takes off and runs like it should (with lots of power).

Can someone tell what I should look at next to try and diagnose this issue?

Re: Bike problem

sounds like the fuel pump may be going bad. ( which could also limit rpm's) and try some fuel injector cleaner. those are my ideas without looking at it. that or if your petcock has a pickup problem that could be causing the issues that appear as fuel pump
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

the 01 750's had a habbit of pinching the fuel line that goes from the tank to the tb's when you lower the tank, lift the tank just slightly and see if the fuel hose is caught on the left frame tab.
    It is what it is

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

The pump is supposed to make a noise for a couple seconds when it comes on, that's just the pump pressurizing the system.

It's a strange sounding issue though. Usually a lack of fuel would let you run ok in lower RPM's, but starve out as you got higher; you seem to have the opposite issue. I'm thinking either a throttle valve is stuck open (i.e. too much air at low RPM's), or an injector might be (too much fuel). Start it and let it high idle for a min, then shut it off. See if any of the plugs are wet-fouled with fuel or look different from the rest.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

but if the pump is having trouble getting fuel it will make more noise. but other than that you could be right on the money
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Thank you everyone