Thread: Florida - Motorcycle theft capital of the world?

Florida - Motorcycle theft capital of the world?

Is it just me, or does anyone else see A LOT of motorcycle theft stories coming out of Florida?

Recently:

Three Southwest Florida Residents Sentenced in Separate Lee County Cases (2 motorcycle theft, 1 dump truck theft ring)

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.ns...25743C004B6654

"Another South FL Stolen Bike"

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...+theft+thieves

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Several men accused of stealing motorcycles in South Florida have been arrested as the result of a yearlong investigation."

"my bike has been stolen....AGAIN"

"Unbelievable THEIVES!!! (Florida) Must Read!"

"Miami area Bike Thieves - THE WALL OF SHAME !!!"

And it just goes on and on and on... Florida's weather is nice but when I read the story about the guy who rode his bike to Florida where it was stolen infront of his motel/hotel room on Vacation, I pretty much crossed this state off from my list of "States to tour in".

"Bike Stolen while on Vacation........"

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...ourist+thieves

Speaking of which, who has a Scorpio motorcycle alarm? I've read good things and I'm seriously considering picking one up now. Having your bike stolen sucks but having it stolen while on vacation, leaving you stranded is beyond the pale!

-Clovis
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: Florida - Motorcycle theft capital of the world?

I lived there for 3 years and YEP....I can believe it. Good friend had his CBR's stolen (2) another caught theives taking the cover off his gixxer getting ready to hitch it up. Another went in Walmart with a bike, came out without one....

This was in Tampa. They had 3 motorcycle theif ring bust while I was there (basically one a year) with Miami being the theft capital because of all the hack shops

Daytona is a bike thiefs dream day
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

I don't know much about FL, but I was just in the Orlando and Cocoa Beach area last week and I just can't see why anyone there would even want to ride. It's flat, boring, hot, muggy, and most of the year the bugs are so bad you have to carry a squeegee for your face shield. Oh, and it rains frequently and unpredictably. FL has to be one of the worst riding states IMHO.

What does this have to do with the OP? Florida, and that's about it. Sorry...
    Eric in Highlands Ranch
    '00 SV650 noisy lil bitch
    -----
    CSC Quotes worth repeating:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Yeah, it could be nothing, or you could die in a fire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
    The best fix is to ride more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rednarb View Post
    I don't know much about FL, but I was just in the Orlando and Cocoa Beach area last week and I just can't see why anyone there would even want to ride. It's flat, boring, hot, muggy, and most of the year the bugs are so bad you have to carry a squeegee for your face shield. Oh, and it rains frequently and unpredictably. FL has to be one of the worst riding states IMHO.

People make up for the straight roads by going to Jennings, Miller, and Daytona for track days. You are right on all accounts people like it just for the fact they can ride (there are a few twistyish roads there, but are highly POPO patrolled). It is a love hate relationship with Florida but if you are on the east closer to the Georgia border that is not bad at all. Mid state is brutally hot and causes you to hallucinate in traffic from fumes, heat, humidity, and your jacket creating a mini sauna on your body. It is also Squid Capital USA along with California.
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

I have an Scorpio alarm on my 650 works pretty good when i use it. Bike makes nosie while the remote goes off in your pocket if your with in about a mile or so.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

From Progressive Insurance - Metro area with highest likelyhood of haveing a motorcycle stolen, with rank of population.

Table is rank, city, state, likelyhood (100=average), population rank

Metro Area Likelihood vs. National Average of 100 Population Rank
    1.Honolulu, Hawaii 428 53
    2.Miami, Fla.359 22
    3.San Diego, Calif.277 15
    4.Las Vegas, Nev.249 35
    5.New York, N.Y.-N.J.247 1
    6.Washington, DC-Md.-Va.242 8
    7.Los Angeles-Long Beach, Calif.233 2
    8.Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood, Fla.229 29
    9.New Orleans, La.228 41
    10.Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Portsmouth, Va.-N.C.226 47

Florida gets on there twice as does California.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

A few years ago, there was an investigative story (Dateline?) about motorcycle thefts in Florida. A news crew travelled with a police task force that was targeting motorcycle thieves. They used a bait bike Harley to catch a major bike thief. The cops said that this guy could steal a bike in "6 seconds". I can't believe with all of the current technology that is available, that bikes are still so easy to steal. I would think that insurance companies would be pushing manufacturers to do something.

On another note..............
    where do all of the stolen bikes/parts go? Is there really that big of a market for stolen parts?

Friend of mine had his R1 stolen from in front of his place in North Pole, Alaska. So I suppose it doesn't matter where you are. I think this just makes me want motorcycle parking to be legally required at parking lots (to keep the bikes closer to the front doors of the establishment and thus more visible/protected). Anything that keeps people from riding (including increased risk of theft) takes us back a step in acceptance of motorcycles and scooters as viable transportation in the States.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

That's why I only ride ugly, dirty, old bikes.
    Somone's bound to have a nicer one near by.
    (Never be the fattest one at the watering hole when the lions are hungry.)

.... FL has to be one of the worst states....
    ^ Fixed it for you.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Account Deactivated at users request DARK ANGEL's Avatar

my kx500 was stolen out of my front porch at my apartment and they were nice enough to put the ramp back in its place....whoever stole i hope is dead from riding it...it wasnt a toy..

Account Deactivated at users request DARK ANGEL's Avatar

after living there for most of 20 years out of my life since i was a child, i have ridden most every good twistie road there is. They arent too bad but they are far and few between, the ones i know arent patrolled.. the only nice thing about florida is the year round riding... yes the heat/humidity do suck balls and the bugs.... but hey im in COLORADO NOW WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    The cops said that this guy could steal a bike in "6 seconds". I can't believe with all of the current technology that is available, that bikes are still so easy to steal. I would think that insurance companies would be pushing manufacturers to do something.
    I can't start my own bike in 6 seconds!!
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Little View Post
    I can't start my own bike in 6 seconds!!

Mine won't either but then most of mine are firing 6 cylinders.

Board Newbie

What is it about Florida!

Check out the latest Sunshine State motorbike theft news horror story from WESH News in Orlando -- this time they're blaming gas prices!

http://www.wesh.com/news/16766715/detail.html

In the clip, the Arlen Ness dealer demonstrates a XENA disc-lock alarm, better than the Scorpion cause it works as a lock and an alarm and self arms; two systems in one... and it reminds you not to ride away with the disc-lock in place.

Thieves are going to steal what is easier. But, nothing is foolproof.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler