Thread: Either of these would be fun up near Deckers

Either of these would be fun up near Deckers

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Re: Either of these would be fun up near Deckers

sick

Can't believe I am saying this, I want the car....That thing can handle
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

BTDT and yes, it is sick.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

That's certainly a nice car to have, I'd love one! That or a T-rex... or an Atom =)

Multiple car enthusist programs (which mostly seem to originate out of the U.K.) are quick to document a sports car's superior handling ability due to having four, wide, sticky tires versus the bike's two super sticky tires but with a limited contact patch.

Throw in an ultra-light vehicle with a powerful engine and the motorcycle's typical power to weight ratio advantage disappears.

-Clovis
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis
    Throw in an ultra-light vehicle with a powerful engine and the motorcycle's typical power to weight ratio advantage disappears.
    This is true. I'll be happy with my bike until I can afford something like this

Yeah I think I'd rather have the aerial atom, just looks cooler. I wonder which one is faster?

Depends on what you have done to the motor on the Atom. Those things are pretty easy to work on, last I heard they come in two flavors: 245 HP naturally aspirated or 300 HP Supercharged, no matter what you're getting a Honda K20A2. The Caterham R500 Super Seven is rated at 230 HP and weighs 460 Kilograms versus the Atom which weighs in at 456 Kilograms. I'd say the Atom would kick the Caterham's Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    That's certainly a nice car to have, I'd love one! That or a T-rex... or an Atom =)

Multiple car enthusist programs (which mostly seem to originate out of the U.K.) are quick to document a sports car's superior handling ability due to having four, wide, sticky tires versus the bike's two super sticky tires but with a limited contact patch.

-Clovis
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Depends on what you have done to the motor on the Atom. Those things are pretty easy to work on, last I heard they come in two flavors: 245 HP naturally aspirated or 300 HP Supercharged, no matter what you're getting a Honda K20A2. The Caterham R500 Super Seven is rated at 230 HP and weighs 460 Kilograms versus the Atom which weighs in at 456 Kilograms. I'd say the Atom would kick the Caterham's Ass.
    I guess the thing that kills me is this. While I think these cars are great and all. I just don't see the point of having one. I know I'm in the minority but both the Caterham and Atom are butt ugly to me. Basically just a open wheel design and not a very good one(aesthetically). Yeah give me a Formula 1 car that's open wheel and of course it's a thing of beauty.

Then there's price. Last I saw a Atom(top of the line model) would run you 50k+ easy. And while you get alot bang for your buck. I can't help but to think of what someone could do with a $10k Liter bike and dump another $40k into and see what kind of bike you come up with?

I mean last I saw(few years ago now) a company on the east coast would take an engine and for about $4500 completely upgrade it. The kit they had for my bike was they take my 988cc and it comes back bored over to 1055cc's and with a true 208hp to the wheel guranteed. And that's only for about $5k in motor work. NO fancy turbos or nothing. Then you can throw money into your suspension and brakes(top of the line everything) and even get a set of 16.5in Carbon Fiber wheels so you can run super fat sticky tires.

I'd much rather have a $50k bike than a $50k car. I mean you take the scenerio I mentioned and that $50k bike is going to suck the paint right off those Atoms and Caterhams.

By the way 5th Gear tested a GSX-R1000 vs a Westfield XTR4, both stock from the factory and the GSX-R1000 came in a miniscule 1.1 seconds behind. That was without the guy being able to set up the Suzuki's suspension for his weight and dial it in for the track. And he still came in 1 second behind. Not bad for a $11k bike vs. a $50k+ car.

And in all fairness I think it was BS that 5th Gear wouldn't let him adjust the suspension. They are car bias and said it had to be as it came from the factory. Well nobody is your perfect 150lb rider that's 5'8". Because you know damn well that they could of adjusted the Westfield as well, but it's a car and set up for heavier drivers. My argument is that if both car and bike come from the factory with "Adjustable Suspension" systems. Then they should of both been allowed to adjust their and dial in their set-ups. I'm more then sure the bike racer could have gotten alot more out of the Gixxer. He was wheeling bad and sliding around.

I will give 5th Gear credit, at the end they recognized that the Westfield eventhough you could register it and put plates on the car. Was not a practical car for the streets and was more of a track day mule. While the GSX-R1000 was perfectly at home on either the track or street. Hence why they gave the win of the day to the Suzuki.

p.s.
    I think it should be noted that I'm pretty sure that the Westfield had way more track oriented tires(as per her having to heat up the tires and brakes). With the Gixxer coming with probably your typical Dunlop D218's, which while bikes come with decent tires. They aren't for track days and for sure stock dunlops wouldn't have generated enough heat and grip.

I think if they would of been able to put a set of Supercorsa's on the bike it would have been way different. At least run equally spec tires. I know they aren't stock but you know the car has probably a DOT spec road/track tire on it.

check it out: GSX-R1000 vs. Westfield
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdjIG10D6kE
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun May 18th, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Depends on what you have done to the motor on the Atom. Those things are pretty easy to work on, last I heard they come in two flavors: 245 HP naturally aspirated or 300 HP Supercharged, no matter what you're getting a Honda K20A2.
    Actually the American version uses the Chevy Colbalt SS super charged engine. American muscle! lol

That car would be fun as hell. That guy was nuts on the super motard!
    Last edited by RyNo24; Sun May 18th, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Quote Originally Posted by RyNo24 View Post
    Actually the American version uses the Chevy Colbalt SS super charged engine. American muscle! lol

That car would be fun as hell. That guy was nuts on the super motard!
    Considering that wasn't an American video I was going off the international specs, not the US. Thanks for the info though I had no idea they were using the Ecotec on the US version, you learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    Yeah I think I'd rather have the aerial atom, just looks cooler. I wonder which one is faster?
    the guys at Flyin Miata which builds those cathram kits, aka a Locost, and sell the parts to make them claim they are faster than an Ariel Atom, and having met some those guys. I'd believe it.

the thing about a Locost is you can put what ever engine you want in it, so anything an Ariel can get, you can get.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=46-86005
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    the guys at Flyin Miata which builds those cathram kits, aka a Locost, and sell the parts to make them claim they are faster than an Ariel Atom, and having met some those guys. I'd believe it.

the thing about a Locost is you can put what ever engine you want in it, so anything an Ariel can get, you can get.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=46-86005
    how well do you know those Flyin Miata guys? You know a guy named Mark that worked them in Grand Junction?? He's a good friend of one my co-workers. He was always taking his Subaru WRX up to the track there in Grand Junction and racing with the Flyin Miata guys. He's also done a bunch of track days with the Flyin Miata guys at PMI as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."