Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racers crash at Hastings!

Re: Racers crash at Hastings!

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    I know this is an off the wall question, but you didn't happen to take a picture of the OEM and Ohlins pistons side by side--just for a compare and contrast?

No.... I traded the stock forks for the new forks with the 25mill internals already done, then took them to Faster for a Spring swap for my 180lbs ass.....
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    No.... I traded the stock forks for the new forks with the 25mill internals already done, then took them to Faster for a Spring swap for my 180lbs ass.....
    180 damn, I use to weigh that. Did they do a shim stack adjustment, or was that not even brought up?

(Man, I see the big fish are starting to swim in this tank. Time to change lures, ha.)
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    you should talk to Dave @ Single Track Mind, yeah the Hastings track has a lot more bumps than last year, but once we got my bike set up to work over the bumps I barely noticed they were there. My 1000 has a simple 20mm revalve kit, no need to spend the mega bucks on full carts when you can get stock parts to work just as well........ oh sorry I forgot, the MRA is all about outspending the guy on the grid next to you
    This is for sure the truth. I've got the GP bits in the ducati fork and a 25mm kit in the R6 and there is no question which fork works better. The ones Dave worked are better. I too got a KILLER deal on the 25mm kit, which is why I bought it, and I'll say it was a big improvement on the R6, but the work dave did is better and at less than 1/3 the cost.

I hope someday to be fast enough to NEED more, but I think some rider coaching is in order well before I spend more money on the bike

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    This is for sure the truth. I've got the GP bits in the ducati fork and a 25mm kit in the R6 and there is no question which fork works better. The ones Dave worked are better. I too got a KILLER deal on the 25mm kit, which is why I bought it, and I'll say it was a big improvement on the R6, but the work dave did is better and at less than 1/3 the cost.

I hope someday to be fast enough to NEED more, but I think some rider coaching is in order well before I spend more money on the bike

In deed... I actually had already planned to go with some internals only.... (Strangely enough after many buddies of mine went that route and also had good luck) but I stumbled on a racer who just started and decided it was not for him and sold his goodies after the 1st race... so thats a dang new as it gets... I basically scored the 25 mill kit for ~800 ish.... Which, like I said was a smidge over, springs, valves, oil, and labor for it anyway.. so I figured why the heck not?

My previous bike (an 03 R6) I had stock, with Traxion revalve and springs only, and it was amazing.... I bent a fork on those and picked up new ones wiht Thermos man done internals and even felt better than before... Hell so far, I ran far better times on that bike than I have yet on the 06 (at every track)
    Wahooman ownes that 03 now, and I have thought many times of asking to buy it back.... HAHA
    Last edited by BlueDevil; Tue Jun 10th, 2008 at 08:17 AM.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Dion I was generalizing about MRA racers, not you in particular

It just blows my mind how many novice bike in the MRA have these trick 16.5's on them, a lot of racers dont even have stock wheels. More club racers need to learn to ride before they get caught up in the money spending frenzy. I heard somewhere that the MRA tire vendors sell more 16.5 tires than the rest of the clubs put together, most people will go just as fast on a 17" DOT as they will on a 16.5 slick, in fact last year I was faster 90% of the time on DOT's compared to slicks.

People wonder why they run out of money club racing, I think people shoudl spend less and ride harder, look at WERA as an example, your SS bike IS your SBK, no changes at all
    It is what it is

Pilot: Oh no.. No Shims were used or needed so far at this point.....

180lbs: Yes Im actually down to 180 woot!!! Im on my way to a goal of 170lbs.... Since I cant afford to buy horse power, Ill just eat more salad and get it the DInglebers way by being wafer thin and padros light tee hee

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Dion I was generalizing about MRA racers, not you in particular I relaize a terrible common occurance is when a rider reaches their skills limit, they start buying, thinking it will make them faster..... usually riding faster (at least in my experience) has more to do with growing a pair, that it does with how much your $2800 Marchesini's costs haha

It just blows my mind how many novice bike in the MRA have these trick 16.5's on them, a lot of racers dont even have stock wheels. More club racers need to learn to ride before they get caught up in the money spending frenzy. I heard somewhere that the MRA tire vendors sell more 16.5 tires than the rest of the clubs put together, most people will go just as fast on a 17" DOT as they will on a 16.5 slick, in fact last year I was faster 90% of the time on DOT's compared to slicks.

People wonder why they run out of money club racing, I think people shoudl spend less and ride harder, look at WERA as an example, your SS bike IS your SBK, no changes at all

Yes I took no personal reference on that one.... No worries

Ya know Ive never run as fast on a slick as I have on a DOT... Not sure why... but I can see your points... Though racing is NOT cheep.. no matter how you look at it... It can be done for a less expensive price tag..
    Id say in 6 years of racing including 2 previously owned bikes and 1 Novice Championship including 6 top 5 season finishes, Ive spent somewhere near 45K..... Granted the bikes bump that up a we bit... I spent 7500 ish on the 03 (which came race ready) and I spent nearly 12K on the 06 that came bone stock and had to convert.... but I will say that the year I won the Novice #1 I spent a total of 300 ish on tires the entire year (Cause of contingency) .. so that certainly helped alot... My tire budget (the largest expense of the entire thing) is usually 2K or more a season....... Though its not a cheep sport, its so much more fun that golf aint it?

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

well the good thing Dion is that you are smart enough to spend the money on the right things, you have been racing for 6 years, it's longer than a lot of racers do because they get caught up into the money race. People are amzed that I still turn up to the races in my POS 6x12 trailer and a $70 Walmart EZUP instead of a toyhauler, I guess the difference is that I turn up to race, not show other people how much I am prepared to spend to be competitive....

.... I guess my way is working ok so far
    It is what it is

Yes I took no personal reference on that one.... No worries

Hey Dion, Clarkie was really referencing me.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

.... I guess my way is working ok so far

ahhh Youre slow !!! haha Kidding... I actually sat in Turn 1 to watch RORO in Hastings... That was a fun and interesting persepctive to watch...

I can actually see the toy hauler part, when families, pets, etc are involved.... I know for example, the wives, kids, and pets sure have a much better experience and heck may even enjoy coming out to Hastings in July to watch you...... but from a money standpoint, my Harborfreighter with milk crates bolted to it to hold gear, does me just fine... I heard everyone talk about their 6-7mpg with that terrible wind going out to Hastings and 7-9mpg coming back... Then I looked down at my gas milage gage and giggled a little....23.4 mpg’s woot…… but as stated on the MRA bored... to each their own.. If you can afford it, then run it... I honestly admit, if I could afford it, I would...
    Last edited by BlueDevil; Tue Jun 10th, 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    Which is why I haven't spent anything on the bike itself (other than the necessities like race plastic and case covers) and I'm spending money on getting the CPU (i.e. me) upgraded. Doing some one-on-one with Mark next week...

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Doing some one-on-one with Mark next week...

Dirk
    You wont regret that... Everyone who has taken personal time with Mark, ends up faster almost immediately.... Enjoy and ask everything you can and soke up the info like a sponge...

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

You wont regret that... Everyone who has taken personal time with Mark, ends up faster almost immediately.... Enjoy and ask everything you can and soke up the info like a sponge...
    Yep, I'm really looking forward to it. I plan on working with him several times this summer as his schedule permits, and I'll be at the Pridmore class in September. I was supposed to do the latter in June but I broke my collarbone. Clarkie, if you ever have time for some one-on-one coaching, I'll jump at the opportunity. And if any of you guys ever see anything that I could change to improve my riding (e.g. as you lap me several times in the endurance races ), I am all ears. I have no ego to bruise. I'm slow and I know it. But I want to learn how to be fast.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Yep, I'm really looking forward to it. I plan on working with him several times this summer as his schedule permits, and I'll be at the Pridmore class in September. I was supposed to do the latter in June but I broke my collarbone. Clarkie, if you ever have time for some one-on-one coaching, I'll jump at the opportunity. And if any of you guys ever see anything that I could change to improve my riding (e.g. as you lap me several times in the endurance races ), I am all ears. I have no ego to bruise. I'm slow and I know it. But I want to learn how to be fast.

Dirk
    The single most important thing is confidence..... That unfortunately cant be taught... but Im sure there are many skills that can be that will in the end help to build confidence....

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

...and I'll be at the Pridmore class in September...
    Hey Dirk, I want to do that class too, I've ridden with them a couple times in the past and the coaching was good. Do you know if Jason will be teaching now that he's got the WSBK schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    Hey Dirk, I want to do that class too, I've ridden with them a couple times in the past and the coaching was good. Do you know if Jason will be teaching now that he's got the WSBK schedule?
    Hey Wyeth. I don't know about Jason's status but the way I look at it, at my level I am sure to learn a LOT even if he isn't there himself. It might be a very different situation for you though. It'd be cool to have you there!

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

The single most important thing is confidence..... That unfortunately cant be taught... but Im sure there are many skills that can be that will in the end help to build confidence....
    Agreed!

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Hey Wyeth. I don't know about Jason's status but the way I look at it, at my level I am sure to learn a LOT even if he isn't there himself. It might be a very different situation for you though.
    Umm, I think we're at similar levels Dirk. And you're right, even w/o Jason that school would be a good thing.

Dion I was generalizing about MRA racers, not you in particular

have you seen my bike?! it is so trick with its rattle can paint job and stock everythin : ) gearing even

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611