Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike etiquette (Parking)

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Re: Bike etiquette (Parking)

One bike per one spot?!?!?!?!
    What planet did you learn to ride on? That's just wasteful.
    (Unless you're parking next to Shea, then you want at least 10' of clearance.)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

AKA "Devaclis"

I am pretty good about making sure anyone can park next to me. except Jeff. For some reason, I subconsciously park right in the center of a spot when I know he is coming .
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    ... except Jeff. For some reason, I subconsciously park right in the center of a spot when I know he is coming .
    Yeah, right.....coincidence?
    (Dana parks like a douche.)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

AKA "Devaclis"

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Oh Yeah......that's not a knife....now this is a knife!

Could you imagine how pissed the general public would be at a GTG if everyone parked one bike per spot?????

I can envision an entire bar parking lot full of motorcycles all 10' apart perfectly square in the middle of their own parking spot.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
    I can envision an entire bar parking lot full of motorcycles all 10' apart perfectly square in the middle of their own parking spot.
    Next time one of the group get's a ticket or hassled for parking somewhere other than a marked spot let's all do that.
    It'd be a great way of making a point.

Ooooo boy. Wouldn't want to be the jerk I caught putting his kids on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    At work there's a few older guys with their hardly davidsons
    Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I'll take a full spot, at the end so it can be seen IF there are plenty of spaces. If not I'll try and squeeze in. We have designated M/C spots here 1/2 wide.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

thanks guys, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Next time one of the group get's a ticket or hassled for parking somewhere other than a marked spot let's all do that.
    It'd be a great way of making a point.
    +1 ^

I love parking on the sidewalk, and smile at all the suckers giving me dirty looks cuz they had to park 10 miles away.

I, too, park on the sidewalk if it's safe and out of the way. I see it as being courteous to the cagers by not taking up their spaces.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    I, too, park on the sidewalk if it's safe and out of the way. I see it as being courteous to the cagers by not taking up their spaces.

I always thought of it this way too. But they just don't seem to see that.

I lived in a condo for awhile and had a bike and car. Parking was limited in the lot so I would put the bike sideways at the front of the space so I could fit my bike and car in the same space.

They apparently enraged some of the neighbors that would leave me nasty notes about "reserving" a spot. They would park in the space with my bike.....then I would bang on their door at 4 am asking them to move their car so I could go for a ride

I finally parked the bike in it's own space and strangely never had another issue. (but was taking up two of our limited spaces now instead of one). People just don't get it sometimes.
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

People are gonna grumble, that's about all there is. Best laid plans & all..
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I actually had a guy in college put a note on my bike that said "you need to move this bike, a car could park in this space".
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

People are gonna grumble, that's about all there is. Best laid plans & all..
    Amen - It's like the other thread about double yellow passing. You gotta just do what you need to do and ignore the few whiners who are sad about their life not being as fun as ours.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
    I actually had a guy in college put a note on my bike that said "you need to move this bike, a car could park in this space".
    Funny, I had puke left on my bike in college....

Quote Originally Posted by tarded400 View Post
    Funny, I had puke left on my bike in college....

Haha.....buddy of mine puked ON my 1967 Camaro RS/SS one night in high school without me knowing it. He decided that if he did not clean it up I would kill him. So he spent the rest of the night (3am to 7am) washing and WAXING my BLACK car in the dark so I would not find out.

He snuck off before I found it. I came out of my house to find a sparking PERFECT Camaro. I was baffled!!! I parked my car dirty, then the next morning it was perfectly clean....hmmm.

He confessed the story years later.
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

apparently they don't have the same courtesy at the dorms.

There's a post up on STN that at least one of the garages downtown has put in a mechanism that is dangerous to motorcyclists and as such has banned motorcycles from the garage (the OP didn't post the name of the company though).

In that event, I'd take a single spot and ask that other riders do the same to show just how many spaces could be taken, especially now.

Back in Virginia, when I parked in the building garage, they'd try to park me against a side wall or in a corner when I rode in. I told them no way. If I have to pay full price to park, I get a full space to park in. You want me to park next to the wall, then I get a break.

The VRE had free parking so I'd park in the slashed spots in the corners instead of in a space. The garage would get pretty full so I was being courteous.

Generally though in lots, I'll park back or front with the bumper and in the center of the spot for doors and folks who hurry into a spot. On the street I'll park to leave room for one more rider.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

I only saw a couple mentions here of parking on the sidewalk, and I've always wondered about this. I parked on the sidewalk amidst a sea of scooters downtown once and got a ticket 'cause I was over 50cc. Now I take up a whole spot and don't feel bad about it! But at the grocery store, kmart, or wherever if it's a big sidewalk, I'll park there if I can find a spot that's out of the way of pedestrians, but I always feel wierd when I drive up the little walkway ramp to get onto the sidewalk. I got a warning ticket at the mall for doing this once, so now I park in the "designated" bicycle parking spot in the parking lot, where there's ample room for the bike. Haven't gotten a ticket yet.
    Do the rest of you guys use the sidewalk? What's your thoughts about this?
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

I frequently park on the sidewalk and have never been hassled about it. Whether or not I do it just depends on the layout of the building, I want to be able to get up on the sidewalk without having to ride through pedestrians, and the parking spot needs to be out of any walking paths.

At work we have covered parking for the bikes and all the cars are outside (sweet!). They took like four cager slots divided and painted them creating a section for 15 bikes and there are two sections for the bikes. My only gripe is this dude on a trike, he takes up two spots and then some, personally I think he should be out with the cagers or in a handicapped spot (why else would you be on a trike?). Sometimes if I come in late, all the bike spots are full then I have to go out into the hinterlands with the cagers. Then I do take up a full spot and stick my nose out a tad.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.