Thread: Tires

Tires

I will be needing some news here soon. I was pleased with the Continental sport attacks that I have. As of right now I have about 4000 miles on them. I don't drag knee but I ride a quick pace in the canyons. I also ride my bike to work. So is there a tire that will give me more miles and still hold the roads in the canyons?

Re: Tires

The TLS I just picked up has the Pilot Roads on it and they were doing pretty well this weekend, I wasn't sure how hard I could push them but I gave a pretty good run and they held fine.

TL1000riders...not trying to hi-jack, just thought since we were looking for the same thing, I could add to this.

I am also looking at some new tires very soon. I'm thinking 50% of the miles will be commuting and 40% will be canyons and if I'm lucky I can get out to the track for the rest. I'm torn between the Metzeler M3's and the Michelin Pilot Power. Both seem to be a quality tire with the big difference just being the Michelins turning in a little quicker. I have been running a 180 Michelin Power Race take-off on the rear for the last several weeks and have to say I really like the quicker turn in over the 190 Bridgestone BT014's that was on the back. So, maybe going with the Michelin PP's would be a good choice as it seems to be more of a triangular shape than the rounded Metzeler's? With that said, the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's and Diablo Corsa III's look like a real good tire too...but like the Metzeler's look to be more rounded. I guess it's just a matter of preference on the feel of the turn in...whether you like it a little quicker or gradual?

Question I have is this...Do the Michelin 2CT'S have the same compound in the center of the tire as the PP's? If I'm doing 50% or more miles on these things commuting, will the center hold up the same? If this is the case, I can gain a little more grip with the 2CT'S and still have approximately the same mileage on the 2CT's?
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

I have 2 sets of the brand new bridgestone bt-003's with 3 7 lap sprint races on them. 120/180 $100 each set.

I really like these. Although they don't flop over as well as the michelin power race's but as you lean more, your contact patch on the bridgestone's stays the same. If you did the same thing on the Michelin's, your contact patch decreases.

Dingle

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    Question I have is this...Do the Michelin 2CT'S have the same compound in the center of the tire as the PP's? If I'm doing 50% or more miles on these things commuting, will the center hold up the same? If this is the case, I can gain a little more grip with the 2CT'S and still have approximately the same mileage on the 2CT's?
    I just put Pilot Road 2's on the VFR. They have Pilot Power type compound on the edges and a harder compound in the center. They have gotten rave reviews on the VFR boards for being sticky in the corners but having good mileage for commuting/touring. So far I like them a lot in terms of stickiness and turn-in (not quite as quick as the 2CT's but still pretty good). Jen (sky_blue) put them on her 600RR so she might have some feedback on them too.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I was going to start a similar thread to this one, as I'm ready for a new set of tires as well. And with gas prices what they are (and will be) I'll be using the bike to commute unless they're calling for all day rain storms.

Couldn't tell ya much about the technology involved, but I picked up a set of 2CT's last week. 2 words: HOLY SHIT! After my literally bald Qualifiers, it's a whole new experience hitting corners.

+1 for the Michelin 2CT's. I was running those on my street bike and loved them. Harder rubber in the middle for commuting, and plenty of soft rubber for the canyons. Check out Faster Motosports as they have deals for the CSC on Michelin Tires. You wont regret it!
    Casey D