Thread: Durango?

Durango?

Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm going to be moving from Houston to Durango and am trying to decide if its worth bringing the bike. What do you all think? Anyone ride in this part of the state?

Thanks,
    Pete

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Re: Durango?

OMG!!!

Yes...bring your bike and you will be the happiest lil camper in the Southwest of Colorado.

More later on suggestions of where down South to ride.

Oh and welcome to the forums.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

You'll regret it if you don't bring the bike.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

hwy 550 from Durango to Ridgway

hwy 145 from Dolores to Placerville (Dolores is just west of Durango) and hwy 145 takes you through Telluride

For a little longer ride and parts will be straight and boring, but once you get to the twisties you'll be struggling to remember the straights...hwy 50 and hwy 92 around the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Hwy 550 will get you to hwy 50.

Oh and then let's not forget that you're just North of New Mexico and the Taos and Santa Fe areas where you've got more mountains and canyons to have fun in. Get yourself two maps...one of CO and one of NM and have yourself a blast exploring.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Well yes I do know the roads are pretty sweet. I've had some fun with a rental car up there before. LOL! But is there anyone to ride with? Does anyone host group rides on the weekends? I'm not a big fan of riding around by myself. I guess it will probably also depend on what kind of living arrangments I'll have. I'm flying up at the end of the month to look for a condo or townhome and hopefully can find something with a garage.

Thanks for the responses.

Ah, now I see said the blind....er um....girl.

I've not seen anyone from the Durango area post up in these forums. That doesn't mean they're not out there. But, here's some help to get you started...http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28 That's the ADV Rider forums and it's just another way to find riders close by.

Every now and then, people from the CSC will get a group together to ride down to the Southwest parts of CO, so keep yer eyes peeled for posts when those groups head your way...and then make a hasty retreat...j/k.

Much luck in your hunt(s).

Here's some pics from my Denver to Durango trip last fall
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jdatwood/Durango07

Didn't get as many as I would have liked. Should give you the general idea though

Definitely ADV riders in the area. I've ridden with some locals 2 years in a row now when we make the Durango trip.
    Jon

uhhhh wolf creek is AMAZING!!! i lived in Durango for a year, theres a great bike rally down there too!

There are a couple of dealers in the area, so riding both on and off-road is popular. From Durango it is a day trip to Page, Vegas, Denver, Salt Lake, and the roads are really in great shape in that part of the state.

I'm sure you'll find a friend or three to ride with.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Many group rides to choose from at all different opinions of "the pace". Bring the bike, or else you'll regret it. Welcome to CSC

Member Yearly Supporter flytarget's Avatar

As everyone is saying, definately bring the bike! There are definately riders in southwest CO, you just gotta flag em down. There does not seem to be many in clubs. All the afore mentioned roads are excellent (especially red mountain pass). The one not mentioned though was the Telluride, Gateway, Grand Junction loop. As far as I am concerned that is the best road in Colorado. 55 miles of everything from sharper corners to long gentle ones you can take at crazy speeds and the road was just paved a couple years back so its still in perfect condition! There is almost minimal traffic (even in the summer)

I have a couple friends that live in Durango, Ill see if I can get them to toss out a few names of some riders for ya to link up with. And when ya get a chance time yourself from Silverton to Ouray. My best so far is 21 minutes, taking into account all the summer traffic.
    Riding a sport bike is kind of like having sex... when its good, its really good and when its bad, its still pretty good.

Well I just rented a house with a 2 car garage so I think the bike will be coming with me now. So anyone in the Durango area please chime in. I've been up here for over a week and haven't seen many sportbikes, mostly Harleys and BMW's. If all goes well I should be moved in by the end of the month.

PM sent
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."