View Poll Results: What do I do with my stupid tire?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ignore the nail, ride balls to the wall till it explodes. (if I had balls)

1 2.27%
  • Admit defeat, buy a new one. Refinance house or consult loan shark.

23 52.27%
  • Admit defeat and sulk, buy a cheap ass replacement.

0 0%
  • Patch it.

18 40.91%
  • Kill myself.

2 4.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nail in rear tire, what to do?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Nail in rear tire, what to do?

If a repair is the best option, then I would go with a patch, not a plug. To properly patch the tire you'll need to get it off of the wheel, the patch goes on the inside and I've never had one fail. If I have no other option because of money or whatever, then I'd go this route. If I had ANY other option (ie. ramen for a couple of weeks...) I would replace the tire.

Like I said, I've got a pilot power for you if you want it. I won't be able to get it to you till next week, but it's yours for the taking. I've been using it as my "rain" tire for the race bike, so it's on a wheel and it's most recent use is on the dyno to get the bike tuned well. Not brand new, but certainly not shot either.

Thanks for the generous offer Scott. I think I'll eat ramen for a few weeks and buy a new tire. I'll sell the one with the nail in it to some individual that has faith in patches and wants a pratically new Pilot Road 2.

Plug it, patch it, put slime in it, then throw it away and buy a new one. That's what I did. Worked great!
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

Tire plug kits today are much better than they were a few years back. The chemical and mechanical bond between the plug and tire compound is what is critical. If you have a nail/screw in your tire you should get it out at soon as possible (more to come on that) and get the repair done immediately thereafter--remember to cut/remove any steel wire from the chord, if it is sticking through as it could cause further damage.

Endurance rider--those who run X-cross country/world have to patch their tires in the oddest of places. Places where getting a new tire is out of the question and it would increase their costs dramatically. Follow manufacturers recommendations.

Why get the object out ASAP?
    Soon after you plug the tire you need to get it to shop to have the tire removed and inspected from the inside. The nail/screw (I once had a spoke from a Jaguar rim jammed through my truck tire) can do severe damage to the inside of the tire as it moves around inside. It can score the sidewalls something fierce. The side walls take the most torsional abuse and are most susceptible to failure from such damage. If the internals are at all worn---REPLACE THE TIRE. If not, you can most likely get away with a patch/plug.
    There are different opinions on the shape, location of how to install a patch. Again, follow manufacturer directions, or ask to see the same if someone else does it for you.

Finally, if you don't have confidence in repairing the tire, replace it. The last thing you want is to start thinking to yourself, "Gee is my tire gonna hold in this turn or is it gonna blow out and I'm gonna crash?" Just as you're going into the twisties in the sticks. You need to focus on what you are doing--riding with proper technique.

For further information:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...air/index.html

~P
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

Patch it. $170 is way too much to spend again...the tire being brand new you should be fine. I've ran on both patch and plug, since you aren't doing track days you tires won't be heating up as much IMO.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

The hell with the back tire....just ride like this.

Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Here's another option:
    If you have some money but just not another $170.
    Patch and sell it to someone that just needs a commuter tire. (Telling them the condition up front of course.)
    I'd buy it from you for the Hardly but it's the wrong size.

Personally, for all but track, I'd-

Hey, it was good enough for kids with cancer.
    Seriously, dead center on a new tire?
    Patch it, consider it's speed rating one step down, and replace it a little earlier than you might have otherwise.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    The hell with the back tire....just ride like this.

First off, i love how this guy cares enough to protect his shins but is naked other than shorts and tennis shoes and the ever protective baseball cap, except he has it turned the wrong way..... n00b

That aside, ive ran a patched tire as a commuter, but if i was gonna be crankin out the G's in the canyons, id want to have a really good tire, and not a patched/plugged one. So replace it if you do any kind of spirited riding, thats my .02

06 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    Tire is holding air fine with the nail in there. Nail is in the center of the tire, next to but not in a groove. Tire is BRAND FREAKING NEW, $170 Pilot Road 2CT....
    Gaurantee you will need replacement. Had the same thing happen to me last yr. new rear tire, had a nail in it. Patched it up seemed to hold good for a while so I taken it for a cruise and the weight just didnt hold the air. Tire went down after about 1 mile of riding. And here I am stuck in the middle of traffic pushing it to a gas station.
    Buy a new tire I know it sux

I have run patches and slime in motorcycle tires for THOUSANDS of miles successfully. Just keep an extra eye on the tire. ALWAYS check your tire pressure, inspect the patch/plug often and you will be fine.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

honestly you can patch and plug the tire giving you twice the protection. put a plug in it then take it in and have them trim the plug inside the tire and place a patch. thats what i did and then went drag racing and put lots of miles on that sucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Most modern "patches" are a plug patch combo. You pull the patch tight with the plug and trim the plug off from the outside.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Unfortunately you really can't know until we see the nail. I've had smaller brad type nails in two brand new tires, plugged them both (the string plug) and they both held until they were done. They were both off center but again, tiny holes (I rode home on it; when I got home I checked the air and found it was at like 5 lbs ). I also had a torx bit (about 3") into the very top of the bit, so it looked like the head of a bolt and I replaced that one just because of the size.

I didn't take either tire to the track but rode the SporTec on an IronButt ride and in the canyons. I'm not a fast rider though and don't push it that hard in the twisties.

If you have any doubt though, better to eat ramen than be afraid of riding the bike. Heck, I'm happy to front you a few bucks if it's just a question of timing. I let you ride my 'busa, I must trust you

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

I've mostly gone with a new tire(OCD!) of the SAME SIZE, however you can patch/plug a tire. It really depends on how big the hole is and how close it is located to the side wall. I have yet to experience anything but a slow leak with a properly installed plug/patch. Unless you only ride at speeds averaging 130mph or more I doubt you would ever experience any further belt separation. Problem is, unless you do it yourself, there are very few shops who will repair tires due to their insurance liability. If plug/patching steel belted tires was that dangerous, then why would a shop even sell the kits??
    Just be smart and use your best judgement as it is your body that will end up looking like BACON! Sorry..was just reading the Bacon thread and now I'm drooling for BACON!

WHAT I DID

No offense to the people who told me "OMG YOU'LL DIE!! WE LOVE YOU JEN DON'T DIE!" I appreciate the sentiment.

However, the votes (online and real life) for patching were a clear majority. Also, the bulk of people shunning patches, also wanted to sell me a tire (thinking specifically of bike shops here). Also, couldn't find anyone local who would mount a patched tire, so that added to my conundrum. Lastly , no one on the "OMG NO" side actually had any story of a patched tire failing catastrophically or not, other than a few I read on the net that also admitted to crappy patches.

Lastly, NO ONE in Northern Colorado has Pilot Road 2CTS in stock. The cheapest one of my tire I could get would be from MotoAdventure Kawasaki, in Lovelend, but after negotiating, their price was still more than $20 more than TFOG, and $30-something to mount it, and the other dealers here wanted $30 to $50 more than MotoAdventure. Interstate Honda has a good deal on mounting: $10/rim off the bike. $200+ for a motorcycle tire...no thanks.

An another rotten note, I took the tire to Fort Collins Motorsports to get it taken off the rim so I could maybe patch it myself. They wanted $10 just to take the tire off the rim. I should mention that one of my other bikes is currently in their service department, and they will be collecting $1000+ for the work they're doing on it.

So after an afternoon of playing phone roulette, I called Jim at TFOG. Yes, he had a new Road 2CT in stock, but "why not patch it?" he said... ...yeah, here's a guy with my tire in stock, I tell him I'm not sure about patching, and he could have easily sold me a new $$$ tire. But no, I took him my nailed one, and he confirmed he could patch it, and a very reasonable amount later, I have my tire back.

The nail he pulled was a finishing/siding nail...probably picked it up at the new home construction near the end of my block.

Crappy pic, but thats the nail. The tiny dot at the top of the tread groove above the nail is the patched spot. That is almost the exact center of the tire.

We'll see how it works out.

Also, not wanting to be a wimpy girl, I reinstalled my back wheel myself!! There was some cussing. Maybe it's not much but I am jazzed!

Also, I've been told by several that carrying a patch kit on the bike greatly reduces your chance of getting a flat... :P

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Awesome Jen... +1 Jim at TFOG.. great guy !
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Also, I've been told by several that carrying a patch kit on the bike greatly reduces your chance of getting a flat... :P
    To be continued.......

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

It works for me. Now, if only carrying Honda polish would keep bugs off my visor...

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

jen.
    sorry for the late response.
    i agree with alot of what has been said about patching a tire.
    i've ridden quite a few plugged or patched tires in the past.
    typically i run those treads down in the off season.
    i seem to have a problem with invaders on my tires...must just be my luck.
    if you want to know frustration. i think i have had 5 tires in the last 3 years that have needed to be replaced for whatever reason.
    just last sunday i was supposed to go for a long 500 mile round trip with some friends.
    got the bike ready...i'm all packed and i got to check the pressures....2.5# of pressure in the back tire...WTF
    this little guy kept me from being able to go!!!
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...