Thread: BAJA to CABO in the DIRT!! Of course

BAJA to CABO in the DIRT!! Of course

Anyone hablo espanol?? Like riding in the dirt?? Able to get free from 1/1/04-1/11/04? Likes Mexican beer!! No weddings planned that time of year? :P No carbs to re-jet? Is able to commit and actually mean it? No shoulder injuries?

I have 1 other rider that wants to do this and he has a sister in San Diego where we can crash for the night & park my truck. He's looking @ getting a new KLR 650 very soon. (For me, this ride is dependant on that fact)! At least for now it is-
    We will truck it to Cali and ride to Cabo & back > 2000 miles of dirt 3 days down, 3 days back. 2 days in Cabo & travel to Cali & back to CO.

I have room for 2 more riders in my truck! Assuming your bike is slender and you don't mind it "kissing" another bike en-route. If you're worried about scratches, this ride's not for you. If you're @ risk of a layoff,(who's not?) this ride's not for you. If you're not experienced in the dirt......
    Dual Sport may be better than pure dirt bike as we will be on the road a little. Larger tank or the willingness to carry etc. fuel is a must. I know I'll be needing a larger tank,(again ) for my DRZ. We split the fuel costs of the F-250 and split lodging in hotels,(don't like sand fleas)

Yes, this is a long way's off....but what better way to start the New Year off biker style??

Let me know....
    Harry Biker

Sounds like fun. I just took my first bike trip into Mexico, south of Big Bend, this past January and plan to make it an annual event.

What kind of stuff do you plan to ride? (meaning - how big of a dual-sport is too big?) Are you riding technical trails, or cross country desert?
    IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold, TCGold

GSL-
    VERY IMPRESSIVE resume via IBA rides!!!! I just completed my 1st 50CC ,BBG & well, looks like you've been there, done that "double"!!

I'll be on a DRZ400s & the other rider a KLR 650.
    Cross country desert,(too far from home to screw up on technical stuff).

Say, you didn't do your Mexico ride w/ "Pirate John" out of Jacksonville did you??

No, we rode into Mexico with a cop out of Houston and an MX racer out of San Antonio. 3 BMW GS's and my wife on her DR200. She has since upgraded to a DR650.

I think I read that you also ride a GS. True?

Yep, I too have a GS,(too short for the Adventurer model that I see in your web site) although, after adding a Russell Day Long...Now even the GS is a stretch Sure wish I would've bought the 7.9 gallon tank though, my range on the 50CC was really bad!! I nver hit 200 miles and ran out of gas x 2 once @ 193 miles.

Are you a member of MTF and did you do your 100CC this past March?

Your dirt SS1K is AWESOME!!!

Yeah, I'm PastaBurner over on the MTF. Did the 100CCC in March with the gang and had a blast! There's currently discussion of a Border to Border run in August. El Paso, TX, to somewhere in Montana...

So, do you think the stuff between Baja and Cabo is gonna be too rugged for the GS? I have a DRZ with a camel tank on it, but the seat's only comfy enough for about 100 miles a day. Actually, there's another question... How far do you plan to ride each day, or is the ride still too early in the planning stages? Got a route picked out?

If you're good in the dirt/sand then I know the hefty GS will get you through it. I heard of a rider that races in the Baja that takes a large GS out to Rampart Range and just spanks the KTM's & CR's.
    If you are moderate or less- than I'll assume the GS will topple over. There appears to be some deep sand areas and very soft sand areas. I've seen pics of KTM's Adventurer getting stuck. I know I'd dump my GS, thus the 300lb-er DRZ will be the bike for me.

I can relate to the uncomfy seat. Any type of cheap seat cover including sheep skin and bicycle type shorts should help.

No route has been picked yet. We were thinking approx. 300-350 miles/day to get to the tip of Baja. As you know, the beauty of the dual sport is we could if needed, always jump on the paved Hwy1.

What kind of range are you getting on your larger tank? Do you have a DR650?

Are you riding in the 100,000 Ft. ride from Foothills in August?
    How about the Colorado Freewheeelers annual ss1K?

I haven't had the camel tank on the DR long enough to really get a good feel for range. I'm guessing 200 miles if I put the stock countersprocket back on, but...??

My wife has a DR650 with a camel tank but, she would also want to go. I guess there's another question: any objection to a chick coming along (and possibly embarrasing a guy or two)... If it's a problem, no worries. We're gonna get to Mexico in January someway or another.

The only rallies we're signed up for this year are the Big Cat rally up in Wyoming and the Adventure Rider rally in the Sierras. I just can't get excited about paying to attend a rally in Colorado, since we already ride most of the roads in the state on an annual basis.

GS in Rampart??!? I can see riding there, but certainly not spanking any KTMs/CRs... Are you referring to that A racer that also rides a GS? I don't know his name, but he also has a stable full of DRZ-S's that he's selling off.

No problem @ all with your wife riding too. If she's as good a rider as you state, then I'll have reason to hold back to enjoy the view kidding.

Which company makes your larger DR tank & where did you find it? I'll assume it's plastic?

Don't know who the rider @ Rampart is/was but the word is he gets a new R1150GS annualy and then goes out to the single track areas @ Rampart just to show off and spit out pure dirt bikes etc. I'd sure like to see our size bike do that on the tight stuff!! If you know in advance that you are going to ride there on the GS, let me know, I'll bring a camera and am current on my CPR Life flight heads out there a few times every month!!
    I'll be on the DRZ though as I'm always good for a "get off" when I ride the roller coaster type tracks out there.

Well, she rode the DR650 on the Dirt-SS1K, as her first ever IBA ride. She's excited about doing this trip! Me too, as I am now somewhat in "Mexico-training" for the 2006 MTF ride from Deadhorse, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina.

I got my tank from http://www.imsproducts.com and just ordered it over the phone. Installation was a breeze and I like being able to see the fuel level thru the transparent plastic. My DR is the kicker version and I've heard of at least one person that had a minor problem mounting the tank on the S version. Something about a missing bracket where the seat attaches. They called IMS and got a bracket shipped for free, so, no serious problem.

I also got my seat from ICG or some strange acronym like that. Anyway, it's a POS. Hard as a rock. May have to get a gel seat if we're gonna ride 300-350 miles a day.

We're doing a dual-sport weekend on June 28-29, if you're interested in getting together for some riding. I thought I read somewhere that you were going to the Utah 1088, but didn't know if that was still in the works or not. If you go, GOOD LUCK! It should be fun!