Thread: hard on a superhawk

hard on a superhawk

im just worndering if doind a 12 0'clocker on a superhawk is bad on the motor.......er i know it bad on it but with all the oile rushing to the rear cyclender what might happen? hydro lock front cylender seizing piston expload just worndering

thanks for any help

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: hard on a superhawk

I don't think hydro lock is really a concern, that's more of a problem on the fuel/air induction side. The part I would be concerned about would be oil starvation in the front cylinder causing undue wear. I don't think this will cause catastrophic failure (ie. engine dies right then and there) but more of an accelerated wear that will cause some kind of future engine failure, probably when you're "just cruising down the highway"

s

i guess im most worried about all the oil in the rear cylender.

on a + side iv herd of a superhawk running on one cylender before so id the front one loses all compression ill still make it home LOL and the rear will be in mint with a hot oil bath hear and there.

i was just think a bout my frist question when me and my friends picked the bike up to test out my 12 0'clock bar and started the bike 20 min later and it smoked really bad

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I'm not sure that you're really going to load up the rear cylinder with oil. At 12:00 the orientation of the cylinders will be roughly opposite of it's original situation with the rear cylinder parallell to the ground and the front cylinder in the vertical orientation. The issue is oil pickup from the pan, where all the oil will be in the very back of the pan away from the pickup tube. theoretically both cylinders will run out of oil pressure in this situation. It's not good for any bike, and while I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to guess the serious stunters are doing some kind of oil pickup mod to prevent oil starvation when doing prolonged wheelies.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    The issue is oil pickup from the pan, where all the oil will be in the very back of the pan away from the pickup tube. theoretically both cylinders will run out of oil pressure in this situation. It's not good for any bike, and while I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to guess the serious stunters are doing some kind of oil pickup mod to prevent oil starvation when doing prolonged wheelies.

Shoulda seen the hole in the front of that R6 motor from just this very thing.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

almost no wheeling involed with the R6
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    almost no wheeling involed with the R6
    Jim at TFOG said that's what prob. caused it...

Point is, oil pickups in most bikes just aren't designed to work with the front wheel that far above the rear wheel, especially for extended periods...
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

ya it had started to knock after he layed it down I dont think the bike turned off when he did lay it down.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

I think the oil pick up on the hawk motor is up front, extra oil will fix that. id also be concerned about dumping oil into the airbox(= hydrolock=rod through block). now go scrape that shit

Just don't park it overnight in the 12:00 position and you should be OK.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

Quote Originally Posted by codfish124 View Post
    im just worndering if doind a 12 0'clocker on a superhawk is bad on the motor.......er i know it bad on it but with all the oile rushing to the rear cyclender what might happen? hydro lock front cylender seizing piston expload just worndering

thanks for any help

is that the same bike you bought from Erico and you posted in another thread that it now doesnt run?
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

good to know lol!!!

well i had to do a bunch of work to it the next day after i got it, and they wouldn't sync the carbs so i had to. but after a lot of fuss with erico i did get them to fix the badly stretched chain for a return service of the 30 day guarantee that i got on the bike is no longer good. i don't think that was fair but i can fix my bike and i got the extended guarantee that they offer in case a CCT goes bad and blows up the motor.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    is that the same bike you bought from Erico and you posted in another thread that it now doesnt run?
    Hehe, that, and not being able to test ride said bike ahead of time for lack of endorsement
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you