Thread: My firsr IBA ride... Devil's Tower and back in one day

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My firsr IBA ride... Devil's Tower and back in one day

Decided to stretch the legs on the Speedie this weekend and tackled my first IBA ride.

Left Denver @ 6:00am headed up through Granby tackled co125 up to Walden then ventured across WY ending up at Devil's Tower by 5:00. Stretched and rehydrated, then back down across the east side of WY.

All was going well when we hit Cheyenne, then 30 miles later, my buddy's oil light came on and the bike shut down. So there we were standing on I-25 @ 11:30 trying to figure out what to do.

Big THANK YOU to BigE who came out in the middle of the night and trailered my buddy's Goldwing back to his house as well as giving my friend a lift to Loveland to meet his wife. And thank you for letting us borrow the trailer to haul the wing back to Denver today.

So I got back on the road around 1:30am and managed to roll in by 2:45am.

It was a long ride and I'm suprised how little difficulty I had with it. The S3 is not a touring bike. In the twisties my friend was wishing he'd brought his blackbird, but on the highways, I was kind of wishing I had a windscreen and cruise control. Apparently, Goldwings don't like going for 15 hours straight at sustained speeds in the upper 80's to XXX.

Route (click for hi-res):

Didn't take many pics, but here are a few:
    yummy! everything I own that was on the trip looks like this. I have a lot of cleaning to do

The world's youngest Goldwing owner!

Lizzie did good.

PS: if you're planning on doing any serious miles, go get yourself a cramp buster throttle control paddle. That 11 dollar piece of plastic is a miracle.
    Last edited by salsashark; Mon Jun 23rd, 2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.