Thread: Sv1000s?

Sv1000s?

So I'm thinking about upgrading the SV650s to the 1000. The main reason is for the better suspension, and the power is an added bonus. What do you guys think? Me and my wife really enjoy having something different than the I4 super sports, although I'm not opposed to another liter bike if the price was right. Anyone ever had an sv1k?

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Re: Sv1000s?

Alot of upgrades for the sv650 suspension, Springs, Oil, 636 rear shock..... Or even do a GIXXER front end swap. Check out Svrider.com if you are not already a member.

I have a family member that works at a cycle shop, and I think I could get the 1000 that is 3 years newer for around $500. I figured swapping out the suspension would be more than that just in parts. Plus, the 650 is about ready for a valve adjustment and has needed a fork oil change for a while. How is the 1k suspension? Is it that much better?

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Jason (JasonOn) had an SV100s which he recently wrecked and could tell you a lot about. I went from an I4 (GSXR600) to a TL1000R, and then let that go (to my ex) to get an R1. Personally, after having been used to an agile 600cc sport bike, I found the TL1000R a little cumbersome (big, not the same power, etc.) for canyon rides, but it has the torque and stability for good 2 up riding. I preferred the R1 for my style of riding, but I wouldn't take a passenger on that bike...I found that it doesn't balance as well with someone wiggling on the bike, and the power on that was too much to keep the front end on the ground. Then again, I am a 140 pound chic, so a passenger on the back with me drastically changed the weighting.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

I had one and it was underpowered for a 1K. Very comfortable and dependible. I liked the bike alright though.

I have an '03 naked 1000 and like the fully adjustable suspension f/r but it is not up to the standards of the sporty liter bikes. Power is good but not as fast as my ex 1997 TLS.

I like mine a lot! But its like what a few people said, it is underpowered for being a 1000 although how fast do yout think you need to go on the streets? The gas milage is good around town (I average low 40's mpg) and it's a comfy bike.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    1993 Yamaha FZR 600 Tear Down!!
    1996 Yamaha FZR 600 <Sold>
    Twitter!

I understand that it has less horsepower than even a new 600cc, but looking at the graphs, it looks like it is extremely linear and would be great around town. You guys that had one- it did have a ton of around town power, didn't it? I may have to go down saturday and take a look/ride at the shop.

I geared mine -1/+3 and it would "get it".

I love the SV. Unless you're racing, you really don't need an "R" bike. For commuting, for having fun in the mountains, for just about anything. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's not the fastest bike in the world, but I've gotten mine up over 150. Do you really need to go faster than that?

I've never ridden an TLS, or the TLR, and when my 05 got wrecked, the only bike I could think to replace it with was another SV.

Talk to the people over at SV-Portal. Some have left the SV behind and some are on their second or third.

Really, it's a fantastic all-around bike.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Noob Question: How can you be "underpowered" on a 1K? Any 1K?

If I ever wreck my sunshine(650babydog) I will buy another and paint it Yellow. Darn skippy I will!
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Well, the wife put a damper on the new bike talk, so it looks like I'll do a spring and oil swap and use it for mileage, then maybe afterwards I can get another 929, cuz all I can think is "I wonder if the SV1k would XXXX like my old cbr...."

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Noob Question: How can you be "underpowered" on a 1K? Any 1K?

Its more of comparing the SV1K to say an R1. Yes, the SV is fast but to say its R1 fast isn't going to happen.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    1993 Yamaha FZR 600 Tear Down!!
    1996 Yamaha FZR 600 <Sold>
    Twitter!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Got it thanks.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I know the sv1k engine can be strong, I have been out ran by a tlr before on my cbr929. Although, he had extensive engine etc mods. The engine pushed so much air that when he was sitting still and would rev it, it blew off peoples hats about ten feet behind it.

I have had my 03 SV1000S since 2004 and it has been a great bike. Regular services and oil changes is all I have done to it. Except for changing the tail and putting some covers on the radiators. Been getting 50 mpg commuting to work on it this year. It is good enough for me in the canyons and plenty fast. I have less than 15k on it.

I just bought a KTM 625 SMC and that bike takes care of the rest of the stupidity I have left.
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor! George Carlin

Morphine its not all it should be.-Humbucker

08 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Black
    06 KTM 625 SMC
    03 Suzuki SV1000S (Sold)