Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Week To Go

One Week To Go

Trip: 6/20/2008 - 7/6/2008

I'll be going over the bike tomorrow to make sure everything's ready for the ride. Tires have a hair over 1,000 miles on them so they'll last the whole trip.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: One Week To Go

That looks like an awesome trip!

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Wow! That'll be an adventure.

How many miles in total?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    Wow! That'll be an adventure.

How many miles in total?

About 8,500 or so. Not as many as the trip to Labrador but just as fun

Carl

That's very similar to the route I did about 3 years ago. One of the most memorial trips I have made on two wheels. The Halibut at Tok as you cross into Alaska is almost worth the ride by it's self. Stay flexible and you will have a great trip. Wish I was doing it again...

Carl, you the man!

Say, what does the moon and the numbers mean? overnighters and short day stops?

We are leaving on Friday the 20th from the steps of the Capital to catch 1000 miles in a day--finally earning that Iron Butt. Are you leaving Friday?

I was going to do a trip like yours last year, but it was canx. Damn.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by OldKneeDragger View Post
    That's very similar to the route I did about 3 years ago. One of the most memorial trips I have made on two wheels. The Halibut at Tok as you cross into Alaska is almost worth the ride by it's self. Stay flexible and you will have a great trip. Wish I was doing it again...
    It's not like there are a lot of routes

But yea, all my trips are pretty flexible. My intention is to at least get to the Arctic Circle but if I can make it to Prudhoe Bay, I'm good too. On my trip to Labrador, I had to bail because I wasn't going to be able to make the third ferry in time. The dirt road had pea gravel which made it like riding on ball bearings. No way I could get the necessary speed to make it.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Carl, you the man!

Say, what does the moon and the numbers mean? overnighters and short day stops?

We are leaving on Friday the 20th from the steps of the Capital to catch 1000 miles in a day--finally earning that Iron Butt. Are you leaving Friday?

I was going to do a trip like yours last year, but it was canx. Damn.
    The moon are estimated overnight stops. The numbers are waypoints. I can specifically tell Streets & Trips to make a waypoint an overnight stop. So the one in Montana, Jasper, and Portland are overnighters. The rest are ad-hoc.

And yep, leaving bright and early Friday morning (about 4am). I've been trying to go for the past 3 or 4 years. Unless something bad happens, I'm on my way Friday.

Carl

That's when we'll be departing, too. Damn, Carl, have a fantastic ride. Say, have you thought about setting up a blog site for this? Something you can put some pictures up on?

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see some pics when you get back. Be safe!

That's when we'll be departing, too. Damn, Carl, have a fantastic ride. Say, have you thought about setting up a blog site for this? Something you can put some pictures up on?
    You mean while on the road? I'd be concerned that I'd lose the laptop while running around. Generally what I take in my gear is something I don't mind if it gets lost. I'd hate to lose a laptop to either theft, weather, or road incidents. I have a notebook for my, well notes and the camera for pictures.

If you mean afterwards, then you've apparently never been to http://www.schelin.org

Carl

Oh, come on Carl, just carry a gun and shoot the bastard that tries to steal your laptop. I'm sure it would be safe enough in your top or side cases. That's how I carry mine. But, I respect you position to play it safe with your computer. Either way, we all look forward to your posts. I'll check out the website.

Rider Workshop-USA

Doing some prep to get the bike ready and gather the gear.

Carl

Carl, you are so cool. I assume you're taking camping gear?

Wow, one hell of a trip! What bike are you taking?
    Eric in Highlands Ranch
    '00 SV650 noisy lil bitch
    -----
    CSC Quotes worth repeating:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Yeah, it could be nothing, or you could die in a fire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
    The best fix is to ride more.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    Carl, you are so cool. I assume you're taking camping gear?
    Absolutely.

Got the tent set up in the back bedroom airing out. The sleeping bag is behind it (blue) and the pad is in the other bedroom breathing (it's a foam pad vs an air mattress).

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Rednarb View Post
    Wow, one hell of a trip! What bike are you taking?
    The Hayabusa of course. It's the one I'm most comfortable on

I have a new tank bag coming and I have a new tail bag so the back will be a bit neater. Otherwise that's pretty much how it'll look.

Carl

I just noticed we are taking pretty much the same route to the Black Hills/Rapid City.

Rider Workshop-USA

I just noticed we are taking pretty much the same route to the Black Hills/Rapid City.
    What time are you leaving and from where? All routes are flexible and it's just a few stops that are required

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    What time are you leaving and from where? All routes are flexible and it's just a few stops that are required

Carl
    The steps of the Capital building on Colfax and Broadway at 5:00 A.M. (for a gratuitous "Mile Hi" picture) and then over to gas (and official start receipt) at the gas station on the south side of Colfax across from Metro/Araria.

We'll (Ric and I) will roll up I-25 into WY turning off on the 18 and 79 up to Rapid. From there east to Murdo and south on 83 back into KS and on the 36 to Denver (or there abouts) with any luck we'll be back well before midnight.

Hell, this ride can't be much tougher than my run to Vegas in May. I hit 100 miles of snowstorm, more like a blizzard, in Utah--that was the same storm that dumped snow in the foothill suburbs around Denver.

We don't plan on making a land race out of it, just a good pace to keep us in time and Johnny Law off our butts.

It would be good to share some road with you if we happen to cross paths. As Ric pointed out to this unworthy one, you'd make an excellent witness for the starting point!
    Last edited by pilot; Mon Jun 16th, 2008 at 08:18 PM.

Rider Workshop-USA

I can do that. I generally take 85 north but I guess I can take 25 farther north if you guys want. Meet you at the steps at 5am?

Carl

Sounds good. Yes, I was thinking about taking 85 for the more scenic route, but getting out of Dodge is important. I'll do that 85 run to the border and a smaller X-country down the road. Send you my cell in a PM.

Rider Workshop-USA

Sounds good. Yes, I was thinking about taking 85 for the more scenic route, but getting out of Dodge is important. I'll do that 85 run to the border and a smaller X-country down the road. Send you my cell in a PM.
    Actually 85 on the other side of Cheyenne is pretty quiet, especially early in the morning.

I'm trying to get to Glendive Mt by around 6pm. It's a leisurely 700 miles so it shouldn't be a problem but if I'm falling behind my time line, I may peel off and continue on. Of course I'll let you know before doing that

Carl

Have a good and safe trip Carl.