Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Double Yellow Pass

Re: The Double Yellow Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Didn't CO adopt the Cali law about X number of vehicles behind you on a mountain road and you're SUPPOSED to pull over and let them pass?
    That would alleviate a lot of the problem.
    A lot of moutain road pull out areas for slow moving vehicles need to be used more often. The problem seems to be that nobody wants to admit that they are the "slow" vehicle. All of us have probably followed behind a slow truck, RV or car and watched as they pass one pull out after another.

On a side note............
    I recently followed a motorhome RV down to Longmont from Estes Park. I have NEVER seen an RV go that fast. It was interesting to watch the guy. He must have been a fellow motorhead.

Clever Custom User Title Lifetime Supporter Jaydoc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    On a side note............
    I recently followed a motorhome RV down to Longmont from Estes Park. I have NEVER seen an RV go that fast. It was interesting to watch the guy. He must have been a fellow motorhead.
    The wife and I are proud new owners of a used 32 foot RV. You want a lesson in how important setting up for a turn is then drive one of those babies on a curvy road. Talk about feeling the chassis loading and unloading! But if you do it right and apply the same principles you use for riding a bike (or driving a car) on the track then you can really keep up your speed in the curves. If, however, you have no idea what a late apex turn is or how to use all of a lane then you're going to be braking all the time and driving slow in general.
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9
    Not a slam, but I am curious if you've been on the board for 3 years, even if you've just been reading the board, why does this thread surprise you? I mean it's pretty much par for the course on here.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    Any time you're ready to push lane splitting through the state legislature let me know. The position of the AMA and the MRA along with a vise grip of lobby support might just be the thing that the motorcycling community of this state needs.

Side note: I came back from Steamboat this past weekend (7/4) and the experience I had on I-70 was nothing short of FUCKED UP. I could have made it to Idaho Springs from the Eisenhower Tunnel in less than 30 minutes ---- it took over 2 hours. I'm at the point of planting IED's and taking out a few SUV's that seem to be in the way of progress.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Wink Re: The Double Yellow Pass

No Pass.

In this case the trailer (and tow vehicle in front of it) totaling about 36 feet in length will be at the corner entry in 3-4 second while traveling about 40 MPH. Considering that the side marker posts are about 100 feet apart on the straight stretch, that would mean from the rider's POV, that at 60 MPH the rider will make the corner in about 5 seconds. This would not be enough time to reasonably move back in between the two vehicles and stand up and take a bow--especially considering that the front vehicle's driver isand will brake and decrease the following distance between the two vehicles prior to the following tower braking. Also, the is shining brightly and slightly to the right in the face of oncoming traffic--perhaps obscuring their view and perhaps timing. Should, say, Rybo and Scott come flying around the approach at 70 MPH the closing distance between our rider, Valentino, and thus would be fast approaching a head-on crash.

Additionally, upon closer inspection, there is an endangered-species osprey on sitting atop the 16th evergreen to the right and it is about to swoop down on a that is ravaging the apple core thrown into the ditch by a previous passer-by. None of this would sit well with the National Park Patrol (same one who spent precious time with Cathy last year) who is sitting just around the corner reading this season's program about the MRA and the Colorado Sportbike Club--thinking what a nice group of R2SL volunteers and safe riders these people are.

All distances and times are estimates. But hey, that's what we do (estimate) every time we ride.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Any time you're ready to push lane splitting through the state legislature let me know. The position of the AMA and the MRA along with a vise grip of lobby support might just be the thing that the motorcycling community of this state needs.

Side note: I came back from Steamboat this past weekend (7/4) and the experience I had on I-70 was nothing short of FUCKED UP. I could have made it to Idaho Springs from the Eisenhower Tunnel in less than 30 minutes ---- it took over 2 hours. I'm at the point of planting IED's and taking out a few SUV's that seem to be in the way of progress.
    Jeff (and everybody else), next time try the old frontage road that goes from around exit 216, I believe, through Silver Plume, then on the highway to Georgetown (2 miles) get back off and ride the old US 6 all the way down through Empire into Idaho Springs. In the past I have taken several riders on this scenic route and general time saver. Less car exhaust. too!

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Jeff (and everybody else), next time try the old frontage road that goes from around exit 216, I believe, through Silver Plume, then on the highway to Georgetown (2 miles) get back off and ride the old US 6 all the way down through Empire into Idaho Springs. In the past I have taken several riders on this scenic route and general time saver. Less car exhaust. too!
    We were on the frontage road and it sucked equal ass.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

We were on the frontage road and it sucked equal ass.
    That calls for Bo-Jo's!

Rider Workshop-USA

I pass. I usually check with new people to see if they will as well. If not, I usually won't pass on a DY if I am in the minority.

I have a group I ride with all the time. Couple of us do, the slower guys sometimes will, but we end up waiting for them anyways.

Buddy and I puled out of a waterfall overlook and he promptly pass a white Durango. I noticed the plates were solid white and marked as "permanent" so waited. Sure enough the Smokey Mtns park ranger lit my buddy up. And only gave him a warning! The gods were smiling that day.

Sight distance includes:
    • Traffic Conditions
    • Road Conditions
    • Cops
    + daylight conditions
    + parking lots
    + wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by *KEN* View Post
    Make sure the car you're passing isn't about to make a left-hand turn...
    Yeah, I saw a R1 ram the rear left corner of a minivan in this exact discription. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidofDenver View Post
    And I wasn't driving any less safe than you were.
    It's subjective dear David. Leave it alone.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

I'd love to, but between the MRA, CAMA(HPR) and the CMC my free time is nearing non-existent levels. I would be happy to contribute what I can, but it'll be 2009-2010 (MRA prez term is over and hopefully HPR is up and running) before I'd have the time to be the lead on such a project.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    I'd love to, but between the MRA, CAMA(HPR) and the CMC my free time is nearing non-existent levels. I would be happy to contribute what I can, but it'll be 2009-2010 (MRA prez term is over and hopefully HPR is up and running) before I'd have the time to be the lead on such a project.
    If you guys are serious about this, let me know. My sister worked in the senate this last year and has got a few (influential) guys drooling over her. Figure anything will help, and I would love to be able to lane split like I did back in Cali.

Ahhhhh, the lane splitting debate....

Rider Workshop-USA

This is coming from a 2 year rider, mind you, but I'd like to say I would never pass on a DY (barring a cager wave on/pull over). In fact I have to say I was rather impressed with the group I rode with on Sunday. There were many times when the agitation of a *cough* mini-van *cough* would hold up all 9 of us. Instead of passing,the leaders just pulled aside to give us some space and then we returned back to the road.
    My 250 can beat up your 250...
    cause its a Ninja

I have...will I again...probably not. Its when people get too comfortable on bikes is when people end up getting hurt. Man im still kicking myself in the ass for that and I was lucky to even make it! :\
    josh-

'01 R6 - Sold
    '00.5 RSV Mille (April) - Sold
    '08 RSV1000R

Quote Originally Posted by grafix View Post
    Its when people get too comfortable on bikes is when people end up getting hurt. Man im still kicking myself in the ass for that and I was lucky to even make it! :\
    Being comfortable on your bike is a goal, complacency is another thing.
    If it scared you that bad you screwed it up. I pass all the time unless they GTFO. I have cut some close but I am very confident in my pass before I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Being comfortable on your bike is a goal, complacency is another thing.
    If it scared you that bad you screwed it up. I pass all the time unless they GTFO. I have cut some close but I am very confident in my pass before I go.
    Yes being comfortable on a bike is a goal, however getting too comfortable is when i see people get hurt...atleast thats how it is back in Ohio. At first you are all cautious, you are defensive...then you start getting comfortable with the speed, with the adrenaline, and you do stupid shit...I have had friends killed because they got "too comfortable." Im not saying being comfortable is a bad thing, im saying it can be corruptive and can make you careless.
    josh-

'01 R6 - Sold
    '00.5 RSV Mille (April) - Sold
    '08 RSV1000R

Be comfortable but stay within yourself. We all make bad decisions, just try to minimize them.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Big Boy (and Girl) rules apply....take the appropriate risk for YOU and deal with any consequences......Sandboxshooter out......(Chad, I really like the comment about stupid advice......lol.) I ALWAYS take advice for the same reasons.

Im pretty sure most of the rv people are not bike rider/or car drivers... so they dont know what to do...
    TintTechonline.com or PM me- Tint for your car!!!

A. Lane Splitting-Just got back from Paris and London, lane splitting-YEEEEEHAAAA!!! The cages don't mind it works great and road rage seems non-existent....let's do it. Just because there is a law ok'ing it doesn't mean you have to.
    B. Double Yellow Passing-Yes. I was told by a LEO that in Larimer County, the judge throws out impeding tickets almost all the time. I almost always ride the speed limit, so if I catch you on my 636, you are really slow. I seem to get waved by a lot on my sport bike. So I can to 70 mph in 1st gear, my exposure time is nil, if I know the road or can see down it aways, and the vehicle is well below the speed limit, my sight picture is good, road conditions are good.....I go.

Month & a half Bump, Mon Jul 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM

been stewing on this little piece of a ride report for a week or so.
    Slowed to a near crawl by now, I remember weaving through the debris field so as not to run across anything that would damage a tire, but I was getting ever closer to Mitch lying in the road. John and I soon passed right near him and beyond and stopped our bikes and got off to determine what had happened. A woman beside the road was already on her cell phone calling for help, and several other passenger cars had pulled off the road.
    John asked if I was OK and went to see if Mitch could be helped, maybe even to perform CPR on our new riding buddy. He came back to me and said two words I’ll never forget and never want to hear again, “He’s dead.” Mitch had crossed into oncoming traffic while passing a car and slammed head-on into the front of the truck. The fuel tank on his bike exploded causing the fire on the truck, and the rest of the bike exploded into an uncountable number of pieces, resulting in the debris field in the road, with the rear section of the bike stuck under the front of the truck.
    One witness told me later that she had told her husband after Mike had passed them then Mitch passed them, “ They look like they are having so much fun, David, you should get a bike HE’S NOT GOING TO MAKE IT!” It happened that quickly.
    I wasn't on this ride or personally acuainted with the rider, but we were headed to the same rally that evening by different roads.
    http://www.legacy.com/gazette/Obitua...onId=115519162

He certainly wasn't a stupid or thoughtless person as you can tell by his obituary. It's a grim reminder that it only takes one error in judgement or bit of bad luck. This is partly why I'm downsizing to a 500 or a duallie for now.

I rode up to Denver & back today on the ST. I told myself from the beginning that I wasn't going to go wild with speed or do any DYPs. I only passed clean today and kept it down in the 8 pt range. It only hurt a little. This was the source of inspiration for the 9/6 ride that I posted. Take it easy, everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.
    Proud pilot of the one and only 1994 Kaw EX500 "Failstrom" adventure-mo-dealie!

IBA# 20672