Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Double Yellow Pass

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: The Double Yellow Pass

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofDenver View Post
    Never passed when it wasn't safe to do so. Anything you "HEAR" is up to you to believe if its true or embellished.

And I wasn't driving any less safe than you were.
    And who I chose to ride with is my prerogative too. You're off the list.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    And who I chose to ride with is my prerogative too. You're off the list.
    I don't even know what to say there? Don't ride with me again see if care? But don't wait 3 weeks and after the ride to bring it up. Its old news now. Your off my Christmas card list so there.

BTW thanks for ruining a great memory of a ride that I thought went off without a hitch. I guess I wasn't prevy to the knitting circle gossip that was going on afterwards.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Mon Jul 7th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

I hope I'm not the Chad in this conversation.
    Noone heres need to bring my name up for any reason.
    If this tread has anything to do with the ticket I got for passing in a double yellow, make sure you know the story.
    I got a ticket for passing in a double yellow less than 2 bike lengthes from the dashed line.
    Now do I pass in the DY, when I feel it's suitable and safe to do so, yes i do. And the ticket i got wont stop me, now all I will do different is make sure there are no cops behind me
    With that said those of you who dont like it, well hell just dont ride with me, i got enough friend to ride with
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Account Deactivated at users request

I will pass on a double yellow if:

- I can see quite a few hundred feet ahead
    - People driving really slowly
    - I am getting a bunch of rocks kicked up at me (Been up Boulder Canyon a couple times where I absolutely get some serious rocks coming at me)
    - No LEO within sight (more importantly out of city limits)

I have on an occasion or two passed someone going down 144th/Dillon road if they are going way slow. Other than that I am not too much of a double yellow crosser. Going up Boulder Canyon though I have done most of my passing on those short little straights. People go so slowly up that and I don't know about the rest of you but 30mph on my R6 puts my engine around 225 degrees which is hot on my legs.

People do for some reason drive as far over to the right as possible when I am behind them and I am not in the mood to DY pass. One thing I have started to notice is people get pissed when I ride behind them. I ride towards the left hand side of the lane so I can somewhat see what is ahead of them but I am at least a good two car lengths behind any of them. I think i've gotten more road rage riding safely and legally than I have doing something stupid.

Side Note: The other day I was riding up to Ned and there were two riders behind me on litre bikes. One of them had his girl on the bike only wearing a helmet. I am doing some double line passing and these two guys are following me and there were a couple times where I booked it passed a couple cars. Couldn't believe them. One guy in front of me passed 5 cars in the tunnel. No fucking way.
    Last edited by YZFRydn; Mon Jul 7th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Re: Douchebaggery of Denver

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    Nope, not you. Thanks for dropping by anyway. Your story is very relevant and maybe you could share a little more. How have you revised your passing strategy since the ticket?
    Last edited by PharmerKyle; Wed Jul 9th, 2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: keeping my end of the deal
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.
    Proud pilot of the one and only 1994 Kaw EX500 "Failstrom" adventure-mo-dealie!

IBA# 20672

If this tread has anything to do with the ticket I got for passing in a double yellow, make sure you know the story.
    I got a ticket for passing in a double yellow less than 2 bike lengthes from the dashed line.
    Now do I pass in the DY, when I feel it's suitable and safe to do so, yes i do. And the ticket i got wont stop me, now all I will do different is make sure there are no cops behind me
    With that said those of you who dont like it, well hell just dont ride with me, i got enough friend to ride with
    No his name was like fresh fish or something. He had 5 posts and was complaining by the second one. Good luck with the ticket though.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Pharmerkyle I will remove it if you say the magic word. But if you want to call someone names that is up to you. Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Do you know that saying? Huh Crash-cop-caller?

Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle
    The Merkle incident was all my fault...

...I'm so sorry to everyone involved....

... I instigated the whole Clovis ordeal as well.
    What are you going to do for an encore?
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Tue Jul 8th, 2008 at 08:15 AM.

Not me
    Shit I was feeling the love that someone wanted to talk about me
    About how i revised my riding, well I passed a truck in a double yellow 15 mins later, i just looked behind me real well first. no joke
    You know I do pass in the DY but I try to make all the proper moves first.
    Make sure there is no on comming traffic
    and if there is you have PLENTY of room to do so
    be patiant
    and I never pass in blind corners.
    Just be as safe as possible, and make sure the park ranger is not behind you when you do it
    It always goes back to the saying "RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE" If you dont like to pass in the Dy than dont and if you dont like to do wheelies than dont and if these are thing you dont or cant tolerate, than dont ride with those that do.
    We all need to quit forcing our beliefes on others and do our own shit
    There my 2cents

back to relevance

Not me
    Shit I was feeling the love that someone wanted to talk about me
    About how i revised my riding, well I passed a truck in a double yellow 15 mins later, i just looked behind me real well first. no joke
    You know I do pass in the DY but I try to make all the proper moves first.
    Make sure there is no on comming traffic
    and if there is you have PLENTY of room to do so
    be patient
    and I never pass in blind corners.
    Just be as safe as possible, and make sure the park ranger is not behind you when you do it
    It always goes back to the saying "RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE" If you dont like to pass in the Dy than dont and if you dont like to do wheelies than dont and if these are thing you dont or cant tolerate, than dont ride with those that do.
    We all need to quit forcing our beliefes on others and do our own shit
    There my 2cents
    Nice!

Ever not waited for someone in your group because they wouldn't DYP?

I didn't think so. n00bs need to hear this kind of stuff before they meet up.
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

K

I wouldn't say i would not wait for them, but i will not leave our meeting place till the got there and did what ever they needed to do.
    I ride with all kind of riders
    ones that are way faster than me
    ones that are slower
    hell i have one friend that will only do the speed limit
    And I ride with them all, I always make sure you know where we are going to stop next and noone leaves till everyone arrives.
    I would never give anyone shit for the way they choose to ride,unless you are outside your own ability, and not my standards. We all ride for our own pleasures so do so and we'll see you at the meeting spot.
    again ride your own ride and we'll all have fun

I went on a ride with a couple guys the other weekend...

One who posts here regularly...

Two of us were much more "on it" but we always waited for our friend to catch up if we got too far ahead. Not that we were all that much faster but there were a couple passes that the third guy didn't attempt even though he could have IMO. I was in the middle and found myself trying to send mind control messages to our leader to make more passes but to no avail. Still, the scenery was great so in those slower times when stuck behind traffic, I took the opportunity to look around a bit.

Re: First time for everything

Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    First time user of this funtion on any forum, ever. Well earned, DBoD!

That's better!

Sorry for the interuptions and eruptions. Please continue. This thread is already more than I'd hoped for.
    Agitator.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

They make good drugs for what he has...

Agitator.
    You should know. I learned from the best.
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I was in my "happy place" for a bit, but shit, here goes...

Kyle and David...KNOCK IT OFF!!!

David, you do understand the point of this thread, right? So, please (purdy please) respect its intent.

Kyle, I love ya cuz of your nature and appreciate this thread for its intentions...let's keep it this way...please.

On to the thread and its purpose...

Like I said in my first post, I freaked when I was much more newbish and saw other riders passing on the DY. The first thing that came to mind was, "Shit! Why the hell am I riding with these guys? I must be insane!" I got used to the idea, though. Not the idea of breaking the law, but the idea of "safely" passing on a DY. It can be done. Once I did so, it was because of a more seasoned rider and because he was signalling that it was "safe" to pass...and only then.

Now, I pass on the DY when I'm in a group. Funny thing, though, and I thought about this last night, but I don't pass on the DY when I'm by myself. I can't explain why, yet, but it may come to me.

Anyhoo, get back to the intent of this thread...please.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I believe it to be much safer to pass slower cars and separate oneself from slow stacked-up traffic while on a bike. Cagers have a way of entering one's tailpipe So I pass whenever I can do it to separate myself from congestion no matter what is painted on the road.

Cathy I have to be honest here, I don't think I have even seen you pass in a DY, ever
    You do show a good example of riding in a large group
    In smaller groups you are riskier but always seem to ride safely, safer than most I ride with

Cathy I have to be honest here, I don't think I have even seen you pass in a DY, ever
    You do show a good example of riding in a large group
    In smaller groups you are riskier but always seem to ride safely, safer than most I ride with
    You haven't ridden with me enough yet, Chad. And thanks.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Are we going to play nice here or is this thread going to go away? (BTW, nice work Cathy...thanks)

Many times the group mentality takes over in passing situations. I cannot count how many times that I go out to pass knowing the road, the passing distance (DY or not) and the following goofballs insist on making the same pass. It seems like they don't even take the second it takes to evaluate the situation before executing the maneuver. So be it. Like lemmings over the cliff ---- except the other lemmings don't stop and turnaround to deal with the hood ornament carnage. I have my doubts participating in group rides and as a result have become more selective with who I ride with.

You haven't ridden with me enough yet, Chad. And thanks.
    I was trying to say something nice
    I didn't say I was telling the truth
    HA

I was trying to say something nice
    I didn't say I was telling the truth
    HA
    You shouldn't say something about people unless it's the truth...

I have my doubts participating in group rides and as a result have become more selective with who I ride with.
    This is exactly what a lot of people I ride with tend to do. I'm not as selective (fortunately/unfortunately)...but I do try and offer up advice when on a group ride when it's necessary. I hope and pray after offering up the advice that it was taken well...I have a problem feeling like I'm overstepping my bounds. But, I hate the idea of someone getting hurt because of me...what I said/did, or didn't say or do.

Let's say that I'm more likely to pass in a group than by myself. I do DYP on my own but I'm a bit more patient. The nice thing about riding in the GWN, is that pretty much everyone moves over and waves you by even when it's not necessary. When I crossed the border to Washington, the traffic significantly increased and the behavior changed to be more confrontational.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

You shouldn't say something about people unless it's the truth...

SORRY

This is exactly what a lot of people I ride with tend to do. I'm not as selective (fortunately/unfortunately)...but I do try and offer up advice when on a group ride when it's necessary. I hope and pray after offering up the advice that it was taken well...I have a problem feeling like I'm overstepping my bounds. But, I hate the idea of someone getting hurt because of me...what I said/did, or didn't say or do.

I used to feel weird offering advice,so now i ask the person I want to give it to if they want some advice. Most say yes and I offer what I have and some have said no and I say nothing. As for me I like getting advice, it can only make me better.
    Unless your advice is stupid then I just learn that your stupid