Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Double Yellow Pass

Re: The Double Yellow Pass

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    I used to feel weird offering advice,so now i ask the person I want to give it to if they want some advice. Most say yes and I offer what I have and some have said no and I say nothing. As for me I like getting advice, it can only make me better.
    Unless your advice is stupid then I just learn that your stupid
    Advice is cheap but opinions will cost you.

Like I need your support

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    And who I chose to ride with is my prerogative too. You're off the list.
    Can I be on your list?

Like I need your support

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihavealegohead View Post
    Advice is cheap but opinions will cost you.
    And opinions are like ass holes ----- everybody has one.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Can I be on your list?
    Which one? --- I have a few.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Generally speaking I never pass on the yellow line. I’m been on bikes for about 20 years, the R6 being my first sport bike. It’s not a matter of skill for me but choice. That said, there are times when I do pass

1) When I’ve had no good twists because the cager in front of me is too slow
    2) Exhaust fumes from the cager in front of me.
    3) I’m in the middle of no where
    4) I’m in Wisconsin
    5) I'm trying to keep up with that nutty fudge packer Nick Ninja

Like I need your support

Generally speaking I never pass on the yellow line. I’m been on bikes for about 20 years, the R6 being my first sport bike. It’s not a matter of skill for me but choice. That said, there are times when I do pass

1) When I’ve had no good twists because the cager in front of me is too slow
    2) Exhaust fumes from the cager in front of me.
    3) I’m in the middle of no where
    4) I’m in Wisconsin
    5) I'm trying to keep up with that nutty fudge packer Nick Ninja
    Don't try to patronize me you Canuck. And it's spelled ***k_N****

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

This board is all about people who ride, offer advice and are computer savvy. Its great! I'm sorry for my posts earlier they seem harsh. There is a lot of punches I pulled though I wrote a few nasty messages but ended up erasing them before posting. I didn't want to make any one mad at me except BEEP because of the uppity post he made about you guys and your mad skills. So I apologize. Tell PharmerKyle what I said if he ever takes his fingers out of his ears. <--Joke cuzz he put me on his ignore list.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YZFRydn View Post
    .... One guy in front of me passed 5 cars in the tunnel. No fucking way.
    Don't think I'd ever try that one either.
    If something went wrong or you misjudge it's nice to have the option of taking the shoulder. DOn't really have that option in a tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    ...but there were a couple passes that the third guy didn't attempt even though he could have IMO.... Still, the scenery was great...
    Like you said "IMO"...obviously it wasn't OK in his.
    Good to hear you didn't do like some and begin riding his tail trying to push him outside his comfort zone.
    Sometimes ya gotta just ease off the throttle and enjoy the slow.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

AKA "Devaclis"

I really do not like passing on DY. I have been behind slow traffic, in a group, and had other riders pass me and the vehicles ahead on DY. I'll sit back and bide my time. It's not always how fast you get to your destination. It gives me a chance to sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery. To slow down a little bit.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by ihavealegohead
    Can I be on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja
    Which one? --- I have a few.
    Legohead - I'm on a couple, I'm sure, these are the ones you DON'T want to be on
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Like you said "IMO"...obviously it wasn't OK in his.
    Good to hear you didn't do like some and begin riding his tail trying to push him outside his comfort zone.
    Sometimes ya gotta just ease off the throttle and enjoy the slow.
    Exactly! I'm more of an encourager than a pressurer. If he doesn't want to ride in a way that he feels uncomfortable, then that's his call and I support that decision 100%. Plus for all I know, his bike was the culprit. Who am I to say what someone else should do anyway?

As a side note, there sure is a lot of drama on this board considering it's mostly men. But I read it every day because there is a ton of good info about riding.

heck yes I'll pass on the DY if *I* feel its safe for me to do so. I'm not going to sit behind some camper trailer struggling its way up a hill because a traffic engineer counted on both hands before deciding where the dotted lines need to go.

If I feel I have the proper sight distance and can safely move around the obstacle then I'm going to do it.. unless one of my good friends in uniform happen to be around.

as for group rides and DY passing, each person in the group should still be deciding for themselves alone what is safe. riding beyond your limits and all that jazz still apply.

I'll pass when I need to and theres no emergency that says my partner behind has to stay right on my butt, theres always plenty of places to play catch up.

all that said, wow you guys are a lot of drama.
    - Jeff

What I'd like to know is what's up with all the new "zones" of DY? It is easy to tell when you look down and see the old school paint of dashes covered up by a solid line...bummer.

When it comes to giving advice, the advice I'm getting is it's like golf: Don't, it's their shot to play (unless you're a paid caddy, ha). Otherwise, Darwin's law seems to be more popular than other options.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    What I'd like to know is what's up with all the new "zones" of DY? It is easy to tell when you look down and see the old school paint of dashes covered up by a solid line...bummer.
    I'm noticing those too, IMO that just encourages more congestion, road rage and DYP since folks can't get around slower traffic. Maybe CDOT and CHP are working together to increase revenue.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I'm noticing those too, IMO that just encourages more congestion, road rage and DYP since folks can't get around slower traffic. Maybe CDOT and CHP are working together to increase revenue.
    The ride up from Morrison to Evergreen via Bear Creek is pretty much a waste of time on the weekends. With all respect to those who can't drive over 20 in the corners, that can be a bit slow for bikes--even on a touring ride.

I've found the best time to hit the front-range roads is on Sunday after 6 pm. Then most folks are at home watching 60 minutes and doing other stuff.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post

When it comes to giving advice, the advice I'm getting is it's like golf: Don't, it's their shot to play (unless you're a paid caddy, ha). Otherwise, Darwin's law seems to be more popular than other options.
    Many good roads here in Colorado have fallen victim to the dreaded DY paint striper machine. The reasoning is multi-fold.

Over the past twenty years not only bikes have increased in horsepower but cars have as well. As a result, what used to be adequate passing distances marked by the DY and Dashed lines have become death traps for unsuspecting motorists. Also traffic congestion has increased tenfold during the same time period. More vehicles occupying the roadway = more idiots competing for the same space.

Secondly there has been a change in demographics. The Peak to Peak is a prime example. when gambling was introduced to Central City and Black hawk the road was found to be inadequate to handle the insanely large numbers of vehicles --- and buses. Add inebriation into the equation then the cocktail becomes almost volcanic in nature.

The elimination of passing zones are determined by statistical analysis data. The more accidents that occur in a given passing zone tend to place that passing zone on the endangered passing zone list. CDOT, in their infinite wisdom decided to DY the complete stretch of road from US 6 and CO119 all the way to CC & BH. There might be one or two places that are still legal places to pass but the majority have been eliminated.

I say that we all start a campaign to SAVE THE PASSING ZONE. Pass legislation that will freeze all dashed lines to remain as such - and tack lane splitting on the bill as well

I do it.
    Many motorcyclists do it, and quite safely!
    Cagers do it.
    I've even seen a bicyclist do it.

Just do the math and decide for yourself. If you don't put anyone else at risk who cares what you do with your own life? Please don't bring up increased insurance premiums either. We all take risks every day (not always on two wheels) and if what's his face can't handle others here who obviously know what they are capable of, maybe he/they should find other folks to ride with, or bite their toungue and leave it at that. I applaud all of you here regarding safely/intelligently passing on the double and I have yet to ride with any of you, but I would happily do so!!!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I say that we all start a campaign to SAVE THE PASSING ZONE.
    Didn't CO adopt the Cali law about X number of vehicles behind you on a mountain road and you're SUPPOSED to pull over and let them pass?
    That would alleviate a lot of the problem.

Then again, CO said they were going to begin pulling drivers over for hanging in the left lanes at lower than posted speed limits.
    Anyone's that driven down to Pueblo from Denver knows that never gets enforced.
    Favorite is the section near the Academy. Flat and straight and always 200 people in the left lane doing 50 in a 75.
    (I blame the Southies for not going all Charles Bronson vigilante on the f&ckers!)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

a specific position or point in physical space

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Favorite is the section near the Academy. Flat and straight and always 200 people in the left lane doing 50 in a 75.
    (I blame the Southies for not going all Charles Bronson vigilante on the f&ckers!)
    Damn...I would like to help you brother, but I just sold all my weapons.
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

now, imagine that oncoming car wasn't there, who here is going to honestly say they wouldn't scoot on by?

Attachment 8525
    - Jeff

a specific position or point in physical space

With no on-coming car, and looking at the shadows for the gap, I would at least leap-frog the two campers...taking them one at a time. That is how I would look at the situation.
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

There are a few things that are hard to tell from this picture. How fast your traveling, how fast are the camper’s traveling? Maybe the picture is throwing off my depth perception but that corner is a little closer than I would like it to be if the campers are going at a good speed. If the car was not there I would at least overtake one camper, not sure about passing two in that picture. Truth be told would probably wait for a better line of sight and pass them both in one shot especially if I am riding with less experienced riders, unless they are doing 30.
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

A woman is like a motorcycle, both scream and get hot if ridden hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by *KEN* View Post
    Make sure the car you're passing isn't about to make a left-hand turn...

pretty much like everyone else said, i'll pass when it's clear. then again my clear might not be as defined as others, lol.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

and tack lane splitting on the bill as well
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.