Thread: n00bs got a Q about tires...

n00bs got a Q about tires...

I know theres different sizes, like 170,180, 190 etc. Well I was wondering what the diff was...

I have a 170 on the back of my F2, and was suggested to put a 180 on when I need tires. Does it give you more grip in turns, or stability?!?!

I'm a curious n00b. Please help!

Use the OEM recommended size because that is what your geometry is built around. That size is the tire width and changing it will affect your handling characteristics negatively. The person recommending a 180 just likes the big "fat" rear tire look. If all you are doing is straight line riding it would be fine as long as your rim can handle that wide of tire, and you don't have clearance issues. Your OEM might even be a 160 on that bike.
    If you want more grip talk to Hoopty and get a set of his race take-offs

Re: n00bs got a Q about tires...

Tire size also goes hand-in-hand with rim size (width). It maybe physically possible to put a 180 sized tire on a rim meant for a max size of a 160, but what you do is deform the shape of the tire.

If you mount a wider tire on a narrow rim you pull the sides in of the tire. You change the profile. Now you won't use the whole tire and you'll actually alter the way the bike feels in the corner since the shape of the tire is not what it was meant to be or do....

Forget the looks and go with what works and was meant to be on the bike...
    '03 Harley-Davidson V-Rod

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"

You don't want to go with a 180, and I doubt it would even fit if you tried. Stick with a 160 or 170, either will be fine. I raced my SV650S and F3 on 170 rears, both come with a 160 stock though. Like Bueller said, I have plenty of take-offs if you need a cheap set of tires.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar
    Yeah, grab a set from Hoopty. I have a set of his take-offs on my F2 and they're nice tires.

Really sticky
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

coool, I'll stick with the 170 on back, as for the take-offs...

Arn't they not as good on street? better for the track? I have pirelli diablo's, not the corsa, on my F2, very nice tires! I didn't think that track tires worked as well as road tires, am I a fool for thinking that? or can tracks be just as good on street?

Loopty

They are much softer than street tires, so they don't last as long. They are also pretty slick when cold, but once they warm up they are tits. Lemme know if you're interested...
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Odd...I went down to 4play motorsports and asked about putting a 180 on the rear of my sv-s and he said it would help turn quicker and give me better traction in corners...was he off?

Loopty

That guy is blowing smoke up your azz, bro. If anything, a wider tire in the rear will make it turn slower. If you want better traction in the corners, get better tires and or suspension work.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

thanks for the tip...in all honesty I don't want to put too much in to the bike, I have had one solid sales offer and I may jum on it so I can go bigger.

Loopty

Didn't you just get the bike?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Member macktastic brake grabber's Avatar

i changed the size of my tires on my 92 F2 and it sucked. did not turn the way it was spose to and it made it handle really weird.
    also i will never buy dulops again. i never got more than 2000-2500 miles and they were toast. the fronts cup very badly nad the rear goes away in a hurry.
    mack
    I would rather die on my feet then to live on my knees ZAPATA ( but i am pretty sure he stole it from a scotsman)
    81 900CBF , 77 750 auto, 73 Elsinore 50 , 2005 fat boy limited edition screaming eagle. 103 cu. in. stroker

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    I thought the same thing about 207/208 Dunlops (in addition to their tendancy to slide around).

But after riding the 218's that came stock on my bike, I have changed my tune. At least about that model.

The 218 Dunlops were great. If only they sold them in stores now!! (They are still OEM only).
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

anyone else ride pirelli diablo besides me?!? how do you like them compared to others?

Quote Originally Posted by -Barn-";p="146108
    I thought the same thing about 207/208 Dunlops (in addition to their tendancy to slide around).

But after riding the 218's that came stock on my bike, I have changed my tune. At least about that model.

The 218 Dunlops were great. If only they sold them in stores now!! (They are still OEM only).
    The 207RR tires are pretty sweet as an alternative and here's a good price on them if you've got a big bike:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2493951804

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I've tried a variety of tires over the past few years mostly for the sake of trying something different.....in order from oldest to newest with my comments about them

1. Bridgestone BT56.....Lousy until warm, very slippery before it warmed up and about average once warm, poor tread life, not very communicative. Decent grip with poor feedback. (2800 miles)

2. Avon Azaro (Av39-40) Nice tire, good when cold, but with the same feedback problems the bridgestones had. Much better treadlife than the bridgestones. Slower turning in than some of the others, something I think has been addressed by the latest round of Avon tires. (4500 Miles)

3. Metzeler Sportec- Very good tire, excellent feedback especially from the front end, excellent in this regard. Warmed up quickly, worked good on the street and the track. Unsure about tread life as I sold the bike before they were done.

4. Pirelli Dragon (MTR-01-02) Nice tire, but not as much grip as the sportecs. Warmed up well, did well in the wet and dry. Longest life (5000 mi)

5. Dunlop D208 I'd ridden the 207s on a friends 900rr and thought they were pretty decent, the 208s were even better. This would be my second choice if I had to buy tires on this list again, with the Metzelers being my #1. Unlike others on the list I got decent milage out of them at around 4000 miles. Basically I would say it was a decent tire.

6. Bridgestone BT090. This was a race only tire that I used first on an FZR400 trackbike and later on a hawk trackbike. I was really impressesd with how good these tires were, especially considering my experience with the BT56. Excellent grip and feedback right from stone cold.

7. As a result of the experience with the BT090 I've just put on a set of BT014's for the street bike. Report to follow, but so far they seem OK (only 100 miles on them, so no real data here)

Best to you

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopty";p="145982
    Didn't you just get the bike?
    Yes, but I have been riding on and off most my life. I bought the bike cause it was a great deal with very low miles, and I figured it was a way to step gradually in to something bigger. But after owning it 4 months, I just feel that I should have started with something bigger.