Thread: Suspension question

Suspension question

All,

I have a 2008 Yamaha R1 and have some questions about suspension. I have been reading a lot and have been in contact with irdave on these forums. I haven't gotten to indepth with Dave but wanted to get some of the forums opinions.

I have recently really got back into the gym and have dropped from 267 to 254 and I am hoping to drop some more. I am 6'4" and have a pretty big frame and I don't think I will ever really hit below 230. I give you this information because it falls into the suspension dilemma.

I have my first official track day on Sept 6th and my second one Sept 8th at two different tracks. I understand as it sits right now my bike would be hard to get dialed in for me since the springs front and back are more ideal for a much lighter racer. I was thinking of going to see Dave so he could at least get me on the right path.

So here were my options....

1. Just let everything ride as is and run a couple track days and once I settle off on my weight then look at suspension.

2. Grab an Ohlins rear and have it sprung for my weight and grab a front spring for the forks.

3. Grab the ohlins and say a Traxxion Ak-20 kit.

The more I think about it the more option 1 sounds best. Dropping another 20lbs is going to have a big affect on my suspension and would in the end cost me more ordering different sets of springs whenever I lost too much weight.

Option 2 and 3 are pretty expensive but I would like to end up at Option 3 over the winter.

Would it still be safe for me to attend a couple track days on an optimized stock setup???

Oh here is a pic for you all to laugh at if you want.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Suspension question

There is lots of good news here:

1) if you are thinking of buying high quality suspension components (ohlins/penske etc) one of the big advantages those units have is a high degree of adjustability. You could get a shock set up for your weight today (mind you it will NOT be ideal out of the box) and put a new spring on it when your weight changes. Dave keeps about 50 springs in stock all the time to make sure the right one is available for you.

2) Same goes with the forks, the only major change that can't be done without opening the forks is to change the fork springs. Again, I think Dave keeps a bunch in stock.

now for my shameless plug of my event and my sponsor! Why not come to Pueblo on July 27th? We will have a team of instructors on hand to help guide you through your first track day AND Dave will be there to do suspension work all day. Have him order up your bits, come a day early and have him put them on the bike. Then use your Pueblo track day to REALLY dial the bike in for YOU. What could be better than that?

Best of luck to you

Scott

Need thicker leather. I can see nipple right through that thin thing! (Or are your nipples that stout???)

I'm working on dropping some weight myself and I've been holding off buying some leather for that reason. I couldn't wait to get the front springs done however, the stock ones were dangerous with my weight. Though I did get them still a little under-sprung knowing that soon they'd be ideal... I hope...

Can't give you any advice for the track ride though - so essentially this is a useless reply and for that I apologize. I just couldn't help not replying and at least showing empathy for your situation, one fat ass to another.
    Eric in Highlands Ranch
    '00 SV650 noisy lil bitch
    -----
    CSC Quotes worth repeating:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Yeah, it could be nothing, or you could die in a fire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
    The best fix is to ride more.

The only thing is cost, I know springs are only $100 or so but if I can get by for awhile might as well save the $200 it would cost to switch them out in a couple months.... agree??

I have really been thinking about coming up on the 27th the only issue is funds. I am 5 hours away from Pueblo and 5 hours from the other track I am going to. As you can pry tell that's a lot of driving on $4 a gallon of gas, not to mention paying for the class and hotel and what not. The only reason I am not 100% on Pueblo is I am going to Hastings because my best friend will be there on his 1098s and it's going to be fun to see how we learn together and how we progress when we can use each other as benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rednarb View Post
    Need thicker leather. I can see nipple right through that thin thing! (Or are your nipples that stout???)

I'm working on dropping some weight myself and I've been holding off buying some leather for that reason. I couldn't wait to get the front springs done however, the stock ones were dangerous with my weight. Though I did get them still a little under-sprung knowing that soon they'd be ideal... I hope...

Can't give you any advice for the track ride though - so essentially this is a useless reply and for that I apologize. I just couldn't help not replying and at least showing empathy for your situation, one fat ass to another.
    Lol, being 6'4" the leather really is tight and I didn't realize I was "nippin" until I took that picture. I guess that's just the way I roll.

Site Admin

I think if you get your bits from dave he will likely work out a spring exchage for you as time goes on. Get in touch with him to be sure, but it seems like something he would strongly consider.

Money is an issue for sure, but I hope you find a way to join us on the 27th. Pueblo and Hastings are two VERY different tracks and it would be great for you to be able to get onto both of them in short succession like that. What is the other track you're going to?

s

Quote Originally Posted by TWISM View Post
    The only thing is cost, I know springs are only $100 or so but if I can get by for awhile might as well save the $200 it would cost to switch them out in a couple months.... agree??

I have really been thinking about coming up on the 27th the only issue is funds. I am 5 hours away from Pueblo and 5 hours from the other track I am going to. As you can pry tell that's a lot of driving on $4 a gallon of gas, not to mention paying for the class and hotel and what not. The only reason I am not 100% on Pueblo is I am going to Hastings because my best friend will be there on his 1098s and it's going to be fun to see how we learn together and how we progress when we can use each other as benchmarks.

Mid-America. My friend lives in Lincoln and it's not to far from him so after Hastings we were going to head to his place for a couple days then hit up the other track.

Site Admin

all great tracks! You're going to have a great time!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

If you know the stock spring rates on the R1 go to racetech's web site. http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...pringType=Fork
    Start plugging in weights till it comes up with the stock factory spring rate listed.
    This will tell you how much difference there is in weight.

As an example, I checked my R6 and discovered the stock front spring rate (.78 I think) was what Racetech called out for a 145lb rider. (I'm 200+)
    The stock rear spring will usually be heavier (aroung 200 lbs) due to two-up riding.

At very least upgrade your front fork springs. It's cheap and easy and will make a big difference.

If you have the funds to completely upgrade your suspension to aftermarket, do it.
    That change will be night-&-day to the stock.
    (and +1 on irdave's work also.)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Well, with the 20% off on ebay. I picked up an Ohlins rear for a little over $700, which is way better than I have found anyone selling them for. I will get in contact with Dave more about the front end springs. They spring it for me for free also and the spring rates they have I pretty much fall into the one I would use forever unless I gained a ton of weight. The springs move in 20lb increments.
    Last edited by TWISM; Mon Jul 14th, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Site Admin

Well, with the 20% off on ebay. I picked up an Ohlins rear for a little over $700, which is way better than I have found anyone selling them for. I will get in contact with Dave more about the front end springs.
    That's a good price for an ohlins. double or triple?

20% off on e-bay? is there a promotion going on or something?

Spring rate is a tricky thing, for the racebike we've considered having different springs for different tracks, even though my weight is pretty static. It hasn't worked out that way, but we do make adjustments to the bike based on the track we are at. This past weekend we added some additional fork oil because I was bottoming the front end on the brakes, next step was to put in a stiffer fork spring. At the superbike races at miller I watched crews change springs on bikes between sessions to find the "right" spring for the track that day. The really fast guys play at a different level, but the right spring is really important.

s
    Last edited by rybo; Mon Jul 14th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

New in the Box with full Ohlins warranty. YA743 Ohlins 3 way adjustable Rear shock for 2007-08 Yamaha R1.

Triple.

It's a promotion with Windows Live. You can get up to 20% back after 60 days. I got $178 back on this purchase.

Site Admin

Awesome! That is a super price for a triple.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    At very least upgrade your front fork springs. It's cheap and easy and will make a big difference.
    I learned that lesson the hard way a couple of weeks ago in turn 7 at PMP.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Well, with the 20% off on ebay. I picked up an Ohlins rear for a little over $700, which is way better than I have found anyone selling them for. I will get in contact with Dave more about the front end springs. They spring it for me for free also and the spring rates they have I pretty much fall into the one I would use forever unless I gained a ton of weight. The springs move in 20lb increments.
    I'm at 225 lbs. now with the hope of losing some more weight. I'm heading up to Ft. Collins tomorrow to see Dave and have him do his magic on the front forks for me. He'll be swapping out the stock front springs and putting in some new ones from GP Suspension, I believe. We'll get the oil changed in the forks too. I'll let you know how it goes and the difference it makes. Although, I probably won't really know the benefits this mod provides until the July 27th track day. Looking forward to it!
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

I am pry wrong on the spring increments. I think they move closer than 20lbs. I had some info sent to me that had springs spaced out over 20lb increments. So they pry move much smaller than that.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

It's a promotion with Windows Live. You can get up to 20% back after 60 days. I got $178 back on this purchase.
    Post up a link to that promo if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I learned that lesson the hard way a couple of weeks ago in turn 7 at PMP.
    I still can't believe how well you ran on stock springs.
    (No offense Bro, you're no feather-weight rider.)

I take it new ones are on the menu before the next race.

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    ... Although, I probably won't really know the benefits this mod provides until the July 27th track day....
    225# on stock fork springs?
    You'll probably notice the improvement pulling out of Dave's driveway.
    (Though on the track you're gonna dent your gas tank, that's how happy you'll be.)
    Last edited by Sortarican; Mon Jul 14th, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Basically you go to www.live.com and type in your search. I did and searched for Ohlins R1. The first link at the top of the page is a sponsored search and says something about getting 20% back if you use paypal.

Here are the terms and conditions.

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I still can't believe how well you ran on stock springs.
    (No offense Bro, you're no feather-weight rider.)

I take it new ones are on the menu before the next race.
    Yeah, I took the "the limitation is me, not the bike" argument one race too far. I definitely want to have the forks set up properly before the next race.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I shot another email off to Dave to get me started on the fork springs. Thanks everyone for the help.

With the 20% off I couldn't pass up the rear and will work on the springs in the front for now and get it all dialed in by Dave and see where it goes from there. Hopefully I can make it to Pueblo sometime too.

If you know the stock spring rates on the R1 go to racetech's web site. http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...pringType=Fork
    Start plugging in weights till it comes up with the stock factory spring rate listed.
    This will tell you how much difference there is in weight.

As an example, I checked my R6 and discovered the stock front spring rate (.78 I think) was what Racetech called out for a 145lb rider. (I'm 200+)
    The stock rear spring will usually be heavier (aroung 200 lbs) due to two-up riding.

If you have the funds to completely upgrade your suspension to aftermarket, do it.
    That change will be night-&-day to the stock.
    (and +1 on irdave's work also.)

the Racetech website is known for publishing wrong spring rates, both stock and suggested...
    It is what it is

Yeah, Dave is the closest for me so I am going to try and do a double day and let Aaron dyno it and Dave tune the suspension.