Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP - Laguna Seca

MotoGP - Laguna Seca

Stoner just ran off on 11 after sliding the rear. I have to say - this is one of THE MOST EXCITING GP races I've seen in a loooong time. These guys are putting it all on the line like this race means the championship.

I'm on the edge of my damn seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: MotoGP - Laguna Seca

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Doctor has operated..

What a great race. They diced it up WSBK style. You could tell that neither Rossi nor Stoner were going to give this up without a fight. In the end Rossi broke Stoner, and I'm glad to see Rossi take his first win at Laguna in a USGP.

GO!!!!!!!! #46
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

not really biased towards any racers as this was my 1st race to watch. CHERRY GONE and what a battle. I heard on the press conference stoner shunned rossi saying that he forced him to brake on 11 but I didn't see it. He tried coming in too fast and lost it IMO. But a great race!
    Procrastination pays off NOW!!!

Yep here it is. Direct from cyclenews.com, Stoner is butt hurt big time.
    http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12683
    Stoner quote:

Stoner was happy to take second in the championship, but not happy with some of Rossi's passes.

"Yeah, well, you know the mistake I made sort of a bit past halfway through the race, it was my mistake," Stoner said. "I ran a little wide in the last turn and as I went to come back on the track I just lost the front, so it was race over after that.

"I mean during most of the race, I was enjoying a lot of it. I felt some of the passes were a little bit too much for me. I’ve been racing for a lot of years and come through a lot of different ranks of racing and just a couple of the passes were a little too much. I would have liked to have had a little bit cleaner battled, but anyway, we’re happy with the results. We’re still in the front in the championship and we’re not too far.(<---)"

Take your medicine son, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. You finally got your wish to dice it up with Rossi and he broke you, plain and simple. And from what I saw on T11, Stoner wasn't forced to do anything. He just ran into the corner to hot, trying to put a move on Rossi. It's racing and it's anyone's game.

Now with the Summer break at hand. Rossi did what he needed to do. Got the momentum back, and seriously deflated Stoner's ego. There's a reason Rossi is a 7 time champion.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Jul 20th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    You finally got your wish to dice it up with Rossi and he broke you, plain and simple. And from what I saw on T11, Stoner wasn't forced to do anything. He just ran into the corner to hot, trying to put a move on Rossi. It's racing and it's anyone's game. quote]

great point, he tried a move, came in hot and lost it plain and simple! there were some pretty close calls but THAT particular one was not one of them, but racing is racing. Again, if you can't take it, GET OUT!
    Procrastination pays off NOW!!!

Rossi whined about Bridgestone/Yamaha all last season. Let Stoner whine about the passes. He was on the better machine and got beat by the better rider. He's upset - and rightfully so. What's he gonna say, he wasn't fast enough?!

Maybe if he hadn't worked his tires so hard the first 10 laps, he would've had a little more traction in the second half of the race. That kid was bouncing around like a 6 year old on a pogo stick. No wonder he had nothing left to break on.

Excellent race for sure. I'm a big Stoner and Duc fan, but to me, I think experience took the win.

Well done Spies, too!

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

EXCELLENT RACE, EXCELLENT WIN FOR ROSSIFUMI, EXCELLENT PLACING FOR SPIES AND VERMEULIN. I SAW A COUPLE PLACES WHERE TRACTION CONTROL DEFINATELY SAVED STONERS ASS.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    Rossi whined about Bridgestone/Yamaha all last season. Let Stoner whine about the passes. He was on the better machine and got beat by the better rider. He's upset - and rightfully so. What's he gonna say, he wasn't fast enough?!

Maybe if he hadn't worked his tires so hard the first 10 laps, he would've had a little more traction in the second half of the race. That kid was bouncing around like a 6 year old on a pogo stick. No wonder he had nothing left to break on.

Well as for Rossi whining about Yamaha. I don't remember him saying the reason he lost races or a championship was because of his bike. Sure he said the bike needed improvements, all bikes need improvements according to the racers. It's how they feel more at home on them.

He did complain about Michelin and had a right to. Their tires sucked and still suck. It was interesting to watch how their quality just tanked after Rossi's 04-05 seasons. He really started havinig problems with them in 2006. Last year wasn't as bad as 2006 in my opinion. However, when a tire manufacture can't produce a quality tire, should the racers just live with it and just say oh well and not care?? No they are going to rip on the tire manufactures and hopefully get better rubber. There is just as much at stake for a tire manufacture as for factory teams and riders. IF you're tires are weak, then what does it say about the company?

Actually yes Stoner should say he wasn't fast enough. I've heard Rossi say it many times when he's lost, that he didn't have the pace. So why is it so hard for Stoner to admit it? What Stoner won't admit is the fact that he got schooled by Rossi and doesn't like it. Stoner thinks that racing is all about being in front and running away with the race. That's not racing, racing is about dicing it up with guys on equally good bikes and tires and letting rider/racer skill prevail and be the determining factor.

You're right again, maybe if Stoner wouldn't have road so hard in the first 10 laps he may have had something. Then again no one was forcing him to pass Rossi. I mean Stoner needs to admit that some of his passes were close as well. The thing is Rossi isn't some backmarker rider. You pass him like that and he's going to make you earn it.

Rossi was playing the mind games he's so well known for. He knew he didn't have the outright speed of the Ducati. So he made Stoner work for every pass. It was as much of a mental race as it was a physical race. Rossi knew the way to break Stoner is to break his spirit. He knew that if Stoner passed him, the best way to break him down is to pass him right back in the next corner. Rossi applied his tried and true mind game and it worked. Eventually wearing Stoner down.

The thing is everyone is gunning for Rossi. Stoner, Pedrosa and the rest of the young ones. However, when they all have gone up against Rossi in a head to head(meaning a real fight for position) they lose. Rossi is a master of the dual. Yeah Rossi has lost, when he's way back in the pack because of poor qualifying and the others check out. However, in a dual he always wins.

Yeah Stoner has won a championship, and yeah Pedrosa runs the #2 plate because he finished ahead of Rossi last year. All Rossi has to do is say "Scoreboard" and point to his 7 Championships and racing records he holds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Well as for Rossi whining about Yamaha. I don't remember him saying the reason he lost races or a championship was because of his bike. Sure he said the bike needed improvements, all bikes need improvements according to the racers. It's how they feel more at home on them.
    Not to argue... but he specifically mentioned the power of the Yamaha numerous times. He also said he "produced" for Yamaha for many years, and that they were not "producing" for him. He openly threatened a Yamaha departure at the end of last season, if the bike was not improved to compete with Stoner's Duc.

It's well documented...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/...696222309.html
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=43417
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2653069.ece

If nothing changes, I can look for another opportunity. I gave a lot of success to Yamaha in these past years, now I wait for something from them. Yamaha have to show me something now, make a good bike for 2008, otherwise I could make a change.” -- Valentino Rossi

Not to argue... but he specifically mentioned the power of the Yamaha numerous times. He also said he "produced" for Yamaha for many years, and that they were not "producing" for him. He openly threatened a Yamaha departure at the end of last season, if the bike was not improved to compete with Stoner's Duc.

It's well documented...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/...696222309.html
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=43417
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2653069.ece

If nothing changes, I can look for another opportunity. I gave a lot of success to Yamaha in these past years, now I wait for something from them. Yamaha have to show me something now, make a good bike for 2008, otherwise I could make a change.” -- Valentino Rossi
    Right and I should of clarified that he did talk about the bike. However, is it really whining about your equipment if it sucks?? He's paid to win races, and if he's got a trashcan underneath him, sure he's going to talk about it.

However, Stoner was complaining about another rider and alluding to Rossi riding dirty. I don't buy that and like I said, Stoner made some hairy passes too.

Being defeated by the "better" rider is not something to whine about. If Stoner's bike malfunctioned or blew up, then I wouldn't say one thing about him complaining about riding a big pile of crap. He has every right to. I just don't think it shows maturity to complain about losing in a dual. Everyone will see it differently. I'm obviuosly and always will be Pro-Rossi, you're Pro-Stoner. It's fine he's your racer and Rossi is mine. So you're right, no arguing.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Great race, I wish they all could be that exciting. Rossi is "DA MAN".....for now The remaining races towards the end should all be a must see.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter green_zx7r's Avatar

Holy crap that was some SERIOUSLY entertaining dog fights!!!

Both were going at it hard. I never thought Vale would catch up to Casey, so when he pulled that move for the lead, I was quite surprised.

Regarding Casey's comment on Rossi's seemingly rough passes... Honestly, Casey showed as much aggression back but couldn't match the heat.

Rossi really used the short circuit to his advantange. Great great racing!!!
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2002 WSBK Eric Bostrom Monza Wild Card Replica ZX-7R
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Always and forever will be a Kawasaki rider.

Right and I should of clarified that he did talk about the bike. However, is it really whining about your equipment if it sucks?? He's paid to win races, and if he's got a trashcan underneath him, sure he's going to talk about it.
    Having an underpowered bike is one thing ... bitching about your tires is another. I think Rossi went a little too far with his Michelin moping last year.

However, Stoner was complaining about another rider and alluding to Rossi riding dirty. I don't buy that and like I said, Stoner made some hairy passes too.
    Agreed.

Being defeated by the "better" rider is not something to whine about. If Stoner's bike malfunctioned or blew up, then I wouldn't say one thing about him complaining about riding a big pile of crap. He has every right to. I just don't think it shows maturity to complain about losing in a dual. Everyone will see it differently. I'm obviuosly and always will be Pro-Rossi, you're Pro-Stoner. It's fine he's your racer and Rossi is mine. So you're right, no arguing.
    Agreed. Actually, I'm a Rossi fan too - I'm just trying to see both sides of coin.

Having an underpowered bike is one thing ... bitching about your tires is another. I think Rossi went a little too far with his Michelin moping last year.
    I see what you mean and understand. However, you really can't blame him for being irritated with Michelin. Especially coming off of his 2004/2005 seasons where his Michelins worked so well. Then to come into the 2006 season and have tire failure after tire failure. I remember one race he actually lost a huge chunk out of his tire.

I know some people like to say, well that happens to tires. Yeah losing small amounts but having a huge chunk just fly off. Then to have alot of his tires in 2006 and 2007 just go off. He'd be doing great, but then the tires would just tank. Seemed like they made his tires to last half the race distance and then rest of it he was on his own.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

What a great race. I couldn't believe Rossi kept the lead going through the dirt, and then almost bumped Stoner off of the track! It was great. Most exciting one I've seen in awhile.

Rossi is not known for being the cleanest passer. Its racing stuff happens, you do what you need to do to win, that what they get paid for. If he felt Rossi did something to impose his riding its his choice to say. None of us were on the nor did they show the braking zone of turn 11 over and over to even show us if Rossi hit the brakes early to throw stoner off.

Who cares every racer whines from time to time.

fun race to watch for sure

kill something everyday...if for no other reason but to stay proficient

Great race! A mortal would have dumped the bike while cutting a corner on the corkscrew. Rossi totally messed with Stoner's mind at the beginning of the race by being so aggressive. Stoner's Duc was faster but Rossi is ....ROSSI!
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I don't think Rossi meant to cut it, he just overshot it and somehow managed to save it, unfortunately pushing Stoner wide.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

"My heart is still beating after that". Really Greg?? Your heart is still beating? That's weird! Are you still breathing too? GOD I hate Greg White. Good racing though.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

^^^ Hah...Yes, Greg White informed us that they wear leathers now when they race too. Interesting.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    "My heart is still beating after that". Really Greg?? Your heart is still beating? That's weird! Are you still breathing too? GOD I hate Greg White. Good racing though.
    "These guys ride in full leathers, with Helmets, and knee pucks made out of plastic."
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    "These guys ride in full leathers, with Helmets, and knee pucks made out of plastic."
    And Casey Stoner is moving his left hand... because... the clutch is on the left side. Did anyone catch that one? What a douche.