Thread: Took a round today...

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Took a round today...

Ok so I was at the shooting range trying out some new toys that I got or have modified recently and the 2 guys next to me were a little unnerving at first because they wanted to see all my guns and I didn't care for the way they approached me but since we were on the same team I let it go.

Later when they were unloading their guns they had to cut a zip tie off their gun and he didn't follow gun safety rule #1 (treat every gun like its loaded) and it spent a round off in the trunk and out the side of the car into mine.

I heard a shot that sounded very weird like a bass drum and turned to look and I saw them looking very surprised. And a smoking hole in the side of their trunk. I asked them what was wrong and if they are OK? They said that he just shot a round off and it went threw the side and with in inches of his friends legs. They were both fine. But they started arguing about the damage to his car.

I looked down the side of my car to see no damage to the doors or the windows and I went about shooting. Later I noticed that they were giving off a hurried vibe like they had to leave. I decided to take a even closer look at my ride and when I got to the front of it I saw the damage.

They came over like this was the first they seen the damage and were very understandably sorry. They offered to replace the light and surveyed the hole and we all were happy to see that it was localized in the headlight. The sheet metal wasn't hit. I am going to see what the dealership will charge to fix this and he will pay me back for it. And he is going to fix his buddies bumper too.

I didn't get all the information that I wanted but I got a number and his plate number.

And what you think about this shit?

I am personally pissed and I amazed that grazed so lightly on the car. If I parked a few inches away this would have missed all together. I was wondering if I should mess around with him if he trys to jerk me around or just go straight to the police.

Also on another note my toys checked out fine so the day wasn't a total loss!
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Mon Aug 4th, 2008 at 01:06 AM.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Re: Took a round today...

WOW... it's amazing that people like this are allowed to roam the streets without collars!

Where you at an actual range, or on open space? Had I been at the range, definitely would have informed the rangers because people like that are a danger to everyone around them.

I took my nephew shooting for his first time on Saturday. We had 3 kids (between 7 and 14), my brother in law (who knows next to nothing about firearms), my dad and one other friend. We shot for several hours, cleaned up our plastic bottles, targets and brass, all without any incidents...

I think you're pissing in the wind if you think these guys are going to man up and pay for the damages to your car without a court order, but best of luck. I guess I'd feel lucky to get out of there without one of these idiots shooting me!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

And if the gun was pointed a few degrees over in that trunk, your car would have been just fine, because the bullet would have been lodged in his friend.

Having some level of verifiable training before anyone is allowed to own any type of weapon would at least give the public the knowledge that he knew what he was doing was irresponsible.

Now he can calm he didn’t know the gun was loaded. No excuse I grant you, but it does leave doubt that he really didn’t know what he was doing and releases him (at least in his mind) of the responsibly of his actions.

Not only do I believe you should report this, I also believe the police should take away his weapons until he can show a court that he can be responsible with them.
    Last edited by Snowman; Mon Aug 4th, 2008 at 08:02 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

if you didnt get the info itll be hard to collect. all the info. shame people like that have guns. i never handle my friends mack 10 without extreme caution, glock or other guns without extreme caution. luckily no one was hurt.
    Brat

It was a MAC 10 that he was shooting. .45 ACP soft lead wad cutter.

This was the "range" up by HP hill. Its where I met you for the first time brat.

I am going to the dealer at noon. I will see what they say?

I have a real problem with the police doing any good for me. At the very least they are a back up. If he doesn't give me the money to fix this he is going to leave me no choice but to involve the police. Then after he is hen pecked from the courts he will have to pay me plus some.

I didn't mention this, but after I seen the damage and the moment of information was passed I sat them both down like some children for lesson in gun safety. It didn't matter what he thought he knew because he showed me that he doesn't know squat so I went over treating a gun like its loaded very carefully and I think he learned something.

But he isn't getting away with anything.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

I got it fixed. He paid me $308 for the dealership estimate to repair it. The dealership charged me $250 for the replacement light. I wasn't going to pay the extra $50 bones to have them remove 2 bolts and replace the light. So I passed the savings off the this guy. It was a nice/stupid thing to do considering what he did. But I didn't want to be a dick about it a make him get all defensive and make me take him to court. So I played it cool and everything got taken care of. The only down side is I didn't find the bullet and the new light doesn't match the old light its much clearer than the old one. But I will just rub some dirt on it make all better. Or use it as a reason to wash the whole car see what that looks like. LOL.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

you mean that wasn't covered by warranty? I have a hole in my coffee table from years ago when a friend forgot rule #1

It wasn't covered under normal road hazard. LOL To be honest we never talked about the warranty at all. It was a straight cash deal. When the car was newer some punks tried to smash the window with a rock and ended up smashing the mirror off. All of this was replaced with the warranty. Same thing when the power steering when out. It would say on the panel "Power Steering" and I thought it was a quiz since I tried to add fluid and it turns out to be electric P/S. They replaced the whole steering wheel. All I paid was a $200 deductible for both times. You would think that an object smashing the headlight no matter what it was would be something covered under the warranty. But like I said they never mentioned it.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Fri Aug 8th, 2008 at 10:42 AM.