Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to help shops become better.

How to help shops become better.

SO after the problems I have had over the last 6 weeks ( and after hearing of others as well) I have decided that something positive has got to come out of all these bad shop experiences, lets face it just slamming these shops is not going to change the way they conduct business ( although yelling profanities at them makes you feel better for a while it really does nothing to fix the problem) and in the long run could result in there being less shops to go to. Yes, Erico has let me down, but I like having a (insert favorite motorcycle here) shop close to my house so I want to do something that helps them to become better and not just tear them down. So I was hoping that we could come up with some constructive things to help ALL shops in the customer service department. Here I goes.

Just because you have a shop does not mean customers will pour through your door, a base must be built, for without that your doors may not be open long. Some people are brand new to riding and may not be technically savoy but the information they give you can be very valuable in diagnosing the problem with their bike, this does not make them stupid nor retarded just ignorant, and since you are the one with the info you should help to increase their knowledge, you end up with better informed customers at the end of the day and have made a customer feel like their business is important to you. Some riders are as old as dirt and know exactly what is wrong with their bike but may not have the space or tools to do the job, they are not trying to tell you how to do your job they are just trying to make it easier. So I guess my point is A) LISTEN to your customers, and if that is to hard maybe you are in the wrong business and B) Drop the egos, because the people who are affected by your egos are the people that pay your checks, and without those customers you have no business.

PS- Yes , I asked to have the Erico post taken down in order to try to make something positive and constructive out of this situation, If you have a problem with that please pm me.
    Last edited by rapparee; Mon Jul 21st, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Re: How to help shops become better.

I like this post!

Ok, so for me...I want to know if the repairs I "think" I need are necessary.

Recently, I found a nail in my tire. So, I called 2 shops. One did not answer, or return my message. The other said I need a new tire...they would not do a patch. I opted for replacing both tires. BUT, the nail did not go all the way through the tire. The shop did not inform me of this, but replaced both tires at a cost of $437.00...and that's with a discount.

My thoughts: If a shop really values me as a customer, they won't just take my money, but they will inform me of the best ways to take care of my bike along the way. They will try to save me money so that when the really costly "necessary" repairs/maintenance need to be done, then I'll be more likely to come back to them over all others.

I can do some things for my bike on my own. But, I would really like to be better informed and if a shop can give me some tips on saving money (and doing it safely), then I'm gonna trust them over a shop that is more eager to take money out of my wallet.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

They will try to save me money so that when the really costly "necessary" repairs/maintenance need to be done, then I'll be more likely to come back to them over all others.
    I think a good shop should give you your options in all situations, some will have several and some will only have one but if you are given that info at the beginning it makes you trust them more in the future.

I have been here for two years, and I have found that it may be a pain to do your own work, but with the quality of some shops here it is will worth it. While sometimes you have to learn by mistake, read multiple service manuals, ask Rybo a million questions, or give up until someone can help you, it still beats the price, the attitude, and the ridiculous prices of the shops here. For the most part, the people who work at the neighborhood shops are usually kind, but the bottom line is that the work sucks and the timeline is even worse. I have posted up a couple times about this, and I have had a shop contact me and bring me back in. In the end, the bike still didn't run well, and I lost even more time riding.

I guess it has been a blessing in disguise because I have learned how to do most of my own repairs, so in the end I guess I say, "Thank you!"
    Last edited by Repsol a095; Mon Jul 21st, 2008 at 06:03 PM.

In the end, the bike still didn't run well, and I lost even more time riding.
    It is my hope that we as a community can change situations like this. Leaning about your bike (or car, snowmobile ect) and how to work on it yourself is never a bad thing and I would recommend that to anyone.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Here's a couple points I wish Service Departments would get straight:

#1 Devils in the details.
    The difference between a positive and negative impression of your shop can sometimes be as simple as making sure the fairings are buttoned up properly
    and the oily hand prints are wiped off.
    I won't take an hour of your time at the shop, and I shouldn't have to, to check over my bike in detail. But I will when I get it home.
    If anythings loose or missing, however minor, how am I supposed to feel about that critical engine work you just did?

#2 Pull the other one Buddy...it plays Jingle-Bells.
    Best laid plans can go awry, we all know this.
    But if you say it'll be done on Tuesday, and it's now the following Friday, it shouldn't take 6 calls for me to find out the status.
    You knew damn well on Monday this bike wouldn't be done on time.
    A call before it's overdue will usually buy you several days grace before we start chomping at the bit.

#3 Buy me flowers before you try to screw me!
    You might be able to tell some RUB that he's low on headlight fluid, or that his ECU program needs to be upgraded to Windows Vista.
    Diagnose it, tell me the "must have's", and sure, tell me the upgrades and other service items available.
    But you try to bullshit me and I'm out the door.
    I'll even sometimes fain complete ignorance just to see if you're ethical or not.
    If instead you tell me that something can be repaired instead of replaced, saving me $100, you just guaranteed yourself my business down the road.
    Most people would sooner give someone a dollar than be cheated out of a penny.

If you don't like the way a shop does business don't frequent it, and advise others against it as well. The only way you are going to make things change, is to hit them where it counts, the pocket book. When they realize that they are losing business on a sizable scale, they will change.

Dear Dealer: You have 4 brand new CBR600RRs for sale on your showroom floor. You sold 2 more of them last week. Why then do you not STOCK simple things like fairing bolts, clutch levers and service manuals? I *know* you can order it for me. I can order it myself, thanks, and not have to call 3 times then come back to pick it up. Maybe one of those buyers would also like some aftermarket levers, or some genuine Honda Accesories...but no, you don't stock that stuff either. I know, you can order it for me.

Dear Salesman I see evertime I walk in that I bought 1 bike from: Yes, I bought a bike at a different dealer. Do you need to hassle me about that every time I come in? Your good-natured joking is annoying. No, I will not buy your Honda Inteceptor for $9999 when you list the same bike on eBay for $6500.

I've been contemplating opening a specialty shop in the next year or two... with 2 main things no one else has..
    1- A sizable parking lot that doubles as a stunt course/facility and...
    2- A liquor license!
    Seriously though if I do decide to open an independent shop, it will cater to primarily the street / stunt scene and scooter performance/repair. Having a small bar attached would be a killer attraction though, heh. Of course all bikes would be welcome, but I feel basic repair, maintenance, performance and crash repair at a substantially lower price than other dealers / independents would attract more business. I will hopefully offset the lower revenue with quantity while maintaining high quality work and quality control as most dealers / independents. I already have great techs on call as needed and most outsourcing taken care of too so looks like time will tell.
    -D
    Last edited by derekm; Mon Jul 21st, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

I've scaled it down to the shops that will let me come view what they are doing to my bike, be able to talk/joke with them and learn from the process as well. A few of these have gotten a little too big to engage in this way, as a customer. But, I still believe in a couple mechanics in town.

If I could, I would visit Epic in Longmont for everything. Helps that Mike knows a few Aprilia's personally, too

It's just too easy to bash on Forums, but it seems to be quite effective, of late. If that means we are a collective voice, then so be it IMHO
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

I hear nothing but bad things from the customers I have had so far for Tire Changes and basic things like Chain replacments of how the local dealers in the Springs / Denver area just plain stink. Are the dealers really that backed up, maybe they should hire a few more guys or at least high schoolers that all they do is change tires and other petty stuff...kinda crazy that they want you to book a week to two weeks in advance for such basic services.

How many times do you get your rim back from a dealer and they don't bother to wipe it off. I spent 20 minutes cleaining up one guys rim and sprocket because it was so dirty. Maybe I can do this because I have the time and am small, but still a dealer can at least do a quick wipe of the rim and make it look nice seeing as they got to handle it anyways. Cost me a few cents worth of cleaner and a rag *shrug*

In return I have a customer that takes 4-5 business cards and is telling all his buddies about me. Word of mouth is the best kind of advertisment (plus it is FREE).

How about offering a free drink, that guy tipped me an extra $10 because he like the service. Then again he was happy fromt he start I was willing to change his chain in the evening...one thing I do no one else does is work on Sunday and Monday...what is up with shops in Springs and Denver...worst then bankers.

One thing about our fast paced world is that people want it now or they go elsewhere. It really is that simple.

I know this sound slike a plug, it kind of is, I will not lie to you. But I tell everyone to go support the little guy...if not me check out D&S Motorsports in Woodland Park, CO.

I have a bit of advice for Grandprix Motorsports: Stock some more parts other than helmets and tires. People do not want to wait 2 or more weeks for their parts to come in. Plus, call when they come in, my brother ordered parts and I had to ask if they came in. The internet has faster ship times, so people wont want to waste time waiting from a store where it cost more. GPM loses so many deals due to parts, and its amazing nothing has been done to fix it. Also, I know this goes on at all Motorcycle shops. At the Jeep dealership I work at, they can get MOST parts THE SAME DAY from other shops and warehouses...
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

do it for free, yesterday and you will keep people happy
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    If you don't like the way a shop does business don't frequent it, and advise others against it as well. The only way you are going to make things change, is to hit them where it counts, the pocket book. When they realize that they are losing business on a sizable scale, they will change.
    But how many shops will realize that in if they do, how long will it take before some penny-pincher relates the loss in revenue to the loss in shop integrity? I think most will just let a mechanic or two go and call it a day -- standard business practices.

There are some good points made above but I think the first and foremost is simple: if you want my money you better earn my money. As stated, that could mean attention to detail, keeping me informed, not trying to cheat me and treating me like I actually know what's going on.

Basically, a little respect goes a long way. Remember, I don't have to come to you, I do because I'm feeling lazy or (I expect) you can do it faster or better than I can.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

Quote Originally Posted by RyNo24 View Post
    I have a bit of advice for Grandprix Motorsports: Stock some more parts other than helmets and tires. People do not want to wait 2 or more weeks for their parts to come in. Plus, call when they come in, my brother ordered parts and I had to ask if they came in.
    No shit! This is the exact reason I will not go to GPM, everything I have ever gone in there for is a "need to order" item. I get pissed and go to Vickery and they seem to have the room to stock all those little parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rapparee View Post
    PS- Yes , I asked to have the Erico post taken down in order to try to make something positive and constructive out of this situation, If you have a problem with that please pm me.
    The idea behind the Shop Experiences is so that people can review the shop they might take their bike to. Perhaps the thread you had was too negative, but I'd rather have the option to decide myself. If you think the thread was too negative when you look back at your experience then can I suggest you post it again in what ever way you think is fair.

If you were looking for a 1125R, would you buy it at High Country HD/Buell ? Not after reading this:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=21332

Which leads me to this thread. To help shops get better, post your rant on here and take the $$ from bad shops and put it toward shops that do a good job.

Like I need your support

Shops will also only improve if you point out their flaws. I usually if I post something also email it to the manufacture and the dealer (If not tell them the flaw in person...I just did this with Sears where no one could find the key/person with key to unlock a chain on a power washer I just bought). At least by letting them know of your post they then know they got countless people reading a review and maybe, just maybe they will look into the problem and make corrections for the next customers.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    It's just too easy to bash on Forums, but it seems to be quite effective, of late. If that means we are a collective voice, then so be it IMHO
    LOL,
    We are Legion....for we are many!

I just buy parts and the occasional tire change service so I don't have much exposure to the service departments around town.
    One thing I've noticed though, I've yet to read or hear of anyone having an issue with TFOG.
    Well, except maybe that they're booked up solid most of the time.

So my suggestion is that Jim & Jeff get to work on cloning themselves so they can take on more work.
    Come on guys, it's the new millenium, use the technology!

Perhaps the thread you had was too negative, but I'd rather have the option to decide myself
    I am not worried about the negative comments that I made just the language that I used. I am sorry if you feel your decision was taken away but this was about my language and if it had been you that had made that choice I would respect it. I am angry with the service that I received and made criticisms that still stand.
    At least by letting them know of your post they then know they got countless people reading a review and maybe, just maybe they will look into the problem and make corrections for the next customers.
    They are aware and hopefully they can and will learn from this.

Board Newbie

Why not leave your post for others to see?? Thats fine that you dont like the service. Did you feel bad about it? it doesnt matter either way, if you post it, then sack up and leave it.

just out of curiosity... of those that mentioned not having parts in when needed. Have any of you Owned or been a Buyer of a Speciality Brand Retail Store???

In my experiance as a Buyer for a Speciality Retail Shop, sales reps, if they have a good relationship with the shops, will sells items on consignment. so if the item doesn't sell, the rep will take it back. good for shop owners bad for reps.

however, most of the time this isn't the case. What usually happens is the shop ends up ordering items that the sales reps advise. Sometimes they sell, sometimes not. Unfortunately for the not part, the shops are now stuck with shit people don't want to buy. So to save themselves money they typically order 20% more of what they sold the previous year. This comes to be another problem. if the shop does well. They end up running out of the shit they need. Buyer/Merchandiser's responsibility.

As for one off parts. I totally understand not having a huge supply in stock.

Again..... most shops will only carry items that have been requested or sold in the past. If a certain item has never been requested their not going to carry it, for that once in awhile hey i need that part situation.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Why not leave your post for others to see?? Thats fine that you don't like the service. Did you feel bad about it? it doesn't matter either way, if you post it, then sack up and leave it.
    I did not "feel " bad about it, I did not like the language I used (F'n this F'n that) and if it does not matter either way why would you post a comment here. Sack up huh? I do not believe we have met, my name is Gary and when we do meet please ask me to sack up.

Quote Originally Posted by rapparee View Post
    Sack up huh? I do not believe we have met, my name is Gary and when we do meet please ask me to sack up.
    got my drink, this could be fun to watch!!!
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Board Newbie

O so very hostile, do yoga or something, it will help you in the long run.
    Cheers