Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My season ending event...

My season ending event...

Last night I had a fairly simple and somewhat routine plan. Jump on the bike at about 4:30, hit Deer Creek Canyon Road, meet the wife at Aspen Grove for a little shopping and then finish the night with a quick beer at the Toad. I usually do a solo ride somewhere at about 3pm every day (not very many are off work at 3 so I'm on my own). I have a private ride scheduled for Sunday so I decide to get some curves in. I did Pine Crossing on Wednesday with some vigour, but that's too far. Today I have to get back and meet with the wife so I decide Deer Creek is the way to go.

So I get all my gear on, boots, jacket, pants and my helmet, and scoot out. Dam this is good!! I JUST put on an H1 exhaust and a werks kit. Sounds fantastic and looks great.

So far the season has been pretty shit for me. June 13th I had my S1/L5 disk operated on. Had just one spirited ride in May, and then just started on the bike again a few weeks back.

I take the beginning part off Wadsworth slow. After I turn onto Deer Creek I hit the gas a bit and take the first part of Deer Creek with some spirit. Dam this is why I ride.

I get to a straight part and I'm going about 45 - 50. I pass a cyclist on the right. All of a sudden I see the side of a Deer !! FUUUUCKK!!

I don't remember the impact, just the Deer for a split second and then sitting on the side of the road. As I sit up I pause for a second.. Check my pants --no problem -- my body isn't leaking any fluid -- gut check -- yep feel ok -- Fucking Deer -- Cyclist catches up, she's a little hysterical I think, but WTF I just took out a deer at 45 -- Fucking Deer --

Quick check my legs are ok, I can feel my toes. Dam that was lucky. I glance over to my now demolished bike in the middle of the road. -- Fucking Deer -

I get up take my Helmet off. I tell the lady I'm ok, nothing broken. She wants me to sit down but screw that I have to go see what shape the bike is in. Front end it completely torn off. Both fairings are wrecked.

She flags down a few cars and gets someone to call 911. I don't object need to make sure I'm ok. No cell coverage here dam.

I ask her what happened. She tells me she saw the deer on my left, it runs to cross the road. Apparently I jerk the bike hard left into oncoming lane (there was no traffic) and then I locked up the rear wheel. She thought I'd make it around but I just hit the deer square in the back leg/hip. It's a big animal yet I spin it around a few times and the bike drops back into the right lane. 80' later I'm on the side of the road in the dirt, and the bike a few feet in front of me. Deer ran back from where it came.

She says I'm lucky I have my gear.

The EMT shows up first and the Jefco police shortly after. Fire trucks show up a few minutes later. They check me out, I look ok. Some road rash my right elbow -- it's throbbing -- my right shoulder feels like someone hit it with a baseball bat. My right knee has a little road rash, and my left leg is scraped up as well. My head aches. --Fucking Deer--

I snap a few pictures with my Black Berry (sorry low res).

My Rocket jacket and nylon pants didn't stand up to well. I think that if I had leather I'd at least have avoided the road rash a bit more. My head, shoulder and knee are a bit wrecked but not broken.

Here are a few pics to remember. Wife is due Sept 22nd, so I think this season is a wash. We'll see if I can buy a new bike or fix this one before year end, but I'm thinking next season is a more realistic. My body is a mess anyway and I want to be in shape to ski in Jan/Feb.

All I can say, is thank god for my gear otherwise I'm sure I'd be dead right now.

Fucking Deer -- I'm getting my hunting license --

Last edited by ihavealegohead; Fri Aug 15th, 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Like I need your support

Re: My season ending event...

Like I need your support

Glad your ok man. Another great example of gear saving someones life.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

any day you wreck a bike and are able to get up check the damage to your bike is a good time to realize your alive bikes can be fixed/replaced

glad your ok bro

Dang, glad you are okay!
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Wow - insane crash. So the season ending event is only because you now have no bike, right? You're ok? Just taking care of the important stuff...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Damn yo! Glad you got away from that one mostly okay! Stupid-ass nature!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by prakarp View Post
    Wow - insane crash. So the season ending event is only because you now have no bike, right? You're ok? Just taking care of the important stuff...
    Yep, I'm sure the bike is going for parts. By the time I get a check from insurance, and with the baby comming.. I think I'm done for the season.

There is NO WAY I'm giving up the sport.

Like I need your support

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Dayum!

Sorry you went down man, sucks big time, but good thing you had your gear on. Every time I see some squid in the canyons with his lid strapped to the tail I want him to see pictures like these.

Any tickets?

They don't call it deer creek for nothing...
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

good to hear your ok, sucks about your ride. on the lighter note the deers day is all fucked up too. It's not feeling all that good either
    If you want I'll go hunting with you, not hard to find a deer with a red hip
    Again good to hear your OK
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

A deer on Deer Creek Road? Who'd have thunk it. Damn motorcyclists!!!

Glad to hear you are okay Jules. Sure sorry about the bike though. Guess you will be upgrading your gear soon too? What a bummer all the way around.

Let's have a BBQ!
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Welcome to the club. Glad you're OK. When's the BBQ?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

So.... is the deer okay? Glad you're fine. Thats nuts. Were there all the time, hiking with the pup after work. We see deer crossing that road everytime we go. Thank goodness you were wearing your gear!!!
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

Glad you're ok...

I'd be making a necklace or key chain or something out of that tuft of hair!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

ZACTLY !! My house we can check out the bike!?!!

My boots, Dr. Martins held up very well. They are high boots over my ankle. They are all scratched up but no injuries or skin missing from my ankle.

I didn't ask if I went over the bars or held onto the bike. I'm thinking that by the bikes direction I must have been thrown off the bike to the right of it.

Like I need your support

Quote Originally Posted by AshliRider44 View Post
    So.... is the deer okay? Glad you're fine. Thats nuts. Were there all the time, hiking with the pup after work. We see deer crossing that road everytime we go. Thank goodness you were wearing your gear!!!

They didn't find the deer. The only deer bits we found were on the road.

Like I need your support

I swear I'm going to start legislature to make those damned deer wear the orange, retro-reflective vests so that we can see them.

I am glad to hear that you are relatively ok and sorry to hear that this happened. Best of luck getting everything back in order . . .
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Dang! Glad you're ok. Did the cops in their infinite wisdom give you a ticket for running into a deer that cut you off?

AKA "Devaclis"

That sucks man. I was wondering why we didn't see you last night. You are ok, which is the best part of the entire story.

Too bad that fucken deer lived.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'm glad that you made it out of that OK.

On the bright side, you now you have an excuse to shop for a new bike and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Dayum!

Sorry you went down man, sucks big time, but good thing you had your gear on. Every time I see some squid in the canyons with his lid strapped to the tail I want him to see pictures like these.

Any tickets?

They don't call it deer creek for nothing...
    No tickets.. I think it's either a 35 or 50 there, and I was doing 45 ish. It's a relatively straight part, so had I wanted to go 90 it wouldn't have been due to a lack of effort.

The state patrol guy who showed up last was also a rider, didn't write anything. We went over the scene and he walked me through the skid marks, about 6', and then the 79' slide on the pavement. He figures I hit it at about 40-45mph.
    Last edited by ihavealegohead; Sun Aug 17th, 2008 at 08:13 PM.

Like I need your support

sorry to hear about the accident man... glad you alright.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavealegohead View Post
    Wife is due Sept 22nd, so I think this season is a wash.
    sweet, someone else to share my birthday with.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

WOW!!!
    that has to have been spooky!!!

not looking forward to my deer killing days.

been close a few times,but no contact yet.

think i might not wanna go looking for that road anymore
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

Wow thats insane! Glad you are ok! I rode up there on saturday with my wife 2up and she asked me if people ever hit deer...this answers her question! I think you just inspired me to get rid of my textile jacket though and get a leather.