Thread: MotoGP changes...here they come...

a specific position or point in physical space

MotoGP changes...here they come...

MotoGP riders suggest five ways to cut cornering speeds.

According to Spanish sports website as.com five suggestions were put forward by the MotoGP riders to help reduce cornering speeds, during their meeting with Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta and Riders' Safety Representative Franco Uncini on Saturday evening at Brno.

As predicted, the options include the introduction of a control tire and new limitations on electronics - albeit in the form of a ban on 'fly-by-wire' technology, which has removed a direct mechanical link (cable) between the throttle and engine, rather than the use of a standard ECU.

The full list of ideas, which includes a return to 990cc racing, will be presented to the Grand Prix Commission. The five suggestions put forward by the riders are:

1. Introduce a single control tire.
    2. Increase control of the throttle by the rider (by removing fly-by-wire technology).
    3. Use narrower tire rims.
    4. A possible return to 990cc engines, but with a limit on top speed.
    5. Stay with 800cc, but increase motorcycle minimum weight.

AS reports that the Michelin riders, who have struggled badly at the last two rounds, were unanimously in favour of a control tyre rule, with 'a majority' of the Bridgestone riders in favor.

The switch from 990cc to 800cc was made for the 2007 season in order to reduce top speeds, but the more nimble 800cc prototypes are able to corner faster - forcing circuits to increase the amount of run-off available, something that cannot continue indefinitely.
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

Re: MotoGP changes...here they come...

Why are the also trying to slow down the fast guys
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Did DMG take over the FIM when we weren't looking?

Spec tire rule sucks. WSB lost over 2sec/lap.

Leave tire sizes alone, and increase the number of different tires available so they don't have to "save" their good tire.

Bring back the 990's AND the old fuel tank size (and the tire-smokin' corner exits!).

Allow lighter weight. Easier to steer, brake, accelerate.

Ban any electronic aids (TC, anti-lock, etc.). The only throttle control that should be allowed if anything is using the throttle as an engine SPEED control rheostat, instead of a throttle butterfly position control. This would prevent any radical acceleration of a rear tire in mid-corner if it loses grip (by controlling engine rpm not throttle), but would not allow the ham-fisted to just whack the throttle open and let the TC save them like t does now. I'd imagine we'd see Casey do a lot more crashing......like he used to.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

We all know that there is only one solution to this argument...

Live Female Mud Wrestling!

I'll volunteer to coach a team of umbrella girls for the win.

MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

AKA "Devaclis"

^^ Time to leave the sandpit and enter the mudpit.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Why do they keep slowing down the fast guys? Because they keep going faster than the race tracks are safe for... The faster you go, the more run-off you need- think of the extremes to simplify... If you bin it in a corner at 20 mph, you might slide to the edge of the track. Tuck the front at 150 mph, you're going to go for a while...

I'm for the 990 solution.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

990 racing was WAY better.

technology has to be capped at some point, or else we would just end up with robots racing motorcycles. aka Casey Stoner
    5280 Supermoto #117
    Skull Candy, FMF Intl, Dragon, Epic Motosports, Michelin, Ogio

Colorado Supermoto Video

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I'd imagine we'd see Casey do a lot more crashing......like he used to.
    +1
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

What are you guys talking about that last few races I watched Stoner ended up crashing. Are you saying he used to crash more then he already does?
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

i think they should get rid of rider assist controls and let the riders do the riding. I mean for gods sake, what is throttle control if you have traction control?
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Spooling up the rear (drifting) may not be the best way to execute faster lap times. Sure, it looks cool as hell, but smoothing out the torque curve is a better way to reduce lap times. Motors that have to constantly modulate their throttle on exit, either through super-rapid throttle adjustments by the rider or some form of traction control, tend to make the bikes harder to handle.

Minor variances in torque, to the final drive, translates themselves to changes in suspension, handling and overall ride ability. These highs and lows in the curve must be dealt with in every gear. With five gears and two to three peaks and valleys in the torque band a rider may have to deal with 10-15 variations rolling on through the corners.

In a one lap race this may not be a problem for the very experienced--champion, to deal with. But as laps add on the human brain can be overloaded by all these translations. Yes, several riders like a bike to be loose--really moving around underneath them. In general, having a smooth power supply allows a rider to roll on the throttle without the feeling of the back end coming loose at the wrong time, such as going from full-lean to full-upright. It is generally in the turns that a race is won or lost--minus the few bad starts off the grid or the neck and neck to the finish.
    Here is an example of several torques. Notice the sharp drop, in several places of the Ducati. Imagine rolling on through that out of turn seven at Pueblo--and then add in a few bumps just for fun

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Here is an example of several torques. Notice the sharp drop, in several places of the Ducati. Imagine rolling on through that out of turn seven at Pueblo--and then add in a few bumps just for fun
    Now here's a nice torque curve:

This is why I'm always raving about the V-4...

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Torque image not showing.

Rider Workshop-USA

Shows up here on multiple machines. Here is the UR:

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/VF1000R/images/vfpower.jpg

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

This is all I'm getting from the link:

Rider Workshop-USA

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    This is all I'm getting from the link:
    Looks right to me. Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

--Thomas Jefferson

Traction control, Fly by wire, and other electronics are not the (to quote Mat) magic pill everyone thinks they are. If you are heavily using your traction control, you are definitely not winning, because it is slowing you down. There is still mad throttle control (and other various skills) to take a TC equipped bike to the podium at that level. It helps with tire management, especially late in a race, and occasionally prevents a high-side.

Personally, I am for them, and don't want to see them gone.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

I agree w/ justin.. Traction control is NOT all it is cut out to be. It is pretty cool for the mid-mid upper level rider, but not for the top 5 guys.

If anything TC is making racing more interesting (other than to the morbid people that want to see the massive highsides... which we still see when youngin's aka lorenzo, get on the gas to quick)... more interesting by allowing riders to still ride 100% at the end of the race being able to try that one last late pass without taking everyone out.

Electronics are cool, they definately help people go faster, are a little safer, but they dont make the top guy the top guy.

Rossi did it without TC, and he is doing it with TC... its not the electronics that make the rider
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

I know the way to slow down the riders going into the turn:

NAKED UMBRELLA GIRLS!!!!!

I am sure it would help.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

didnt they used to call him "crashy stoner?"

so did he just magically learn how to ride better?

if so then why is melandri on the same bike as him and caparossi used to be, and marco cant even crack the top ten?

im not making statements, cause i dont know anything about this kind of stuff, im just looking for answers. thanks!
    5280 Supermoto #117
    Skull Candy, FMF Intl, Dragon, Epic Motosports, Michelin, Ogio

Colorado Supermoto Video

Quote Originally Posted by jsears1864 View Post
    didnt they used to call him "crashy stoner?"

so did he just magically learn how to ride better?

if so then why is melandri on the same bike as him and caparossi used to be, and marco cant even crack the top ten?

im not making statements, cause i dont know anything about this kind of stuff, im just looking for answers. thanks!
    because great riders like wayne rainey said to team ducati - quote - "its easier to teach a fast rider not to crash than make a slow rider go fast"

Stoner had it in him, he just was making poor decisions and crashing... some good coaching got him to slow down. Look at this year; now under pressure he is going back to his old self.

The ducati was that much better of a bike.... look at the top speeds at any track through the first half of 07... the desmo destroyed all others.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    What are you guys talking about that last few races I watched Stoner ended up crashing. Are you saying he used to crash more then he already does?
    Yes, and they were more spectactular too!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)