Thread: Mladin DQ'd from VIR Wins

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Re: Mladin DQ'd from VIR Wins

OUCH

Well if its anything like our club, they'll get a very small fine and keep on truckin lol.
    Casey D

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Was the Spies bike equally prepared? If so does the DQ also apply to them or is their bike now required to undergo technical inspection?

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Unless the AMA already has Spies' crankshaft, it's irrelevant, because even if the cheater part WAS in the bike during the race, it's definitely out of it now.

I'm just curious... At what level does the AMA do mandatory inspections of bikes? How deep do they normally tear down, and is it consistent every race or something new each time?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by All-Labout-me View Post
    First Old bag across the line wins. Old age and treachery will ALWAYS beat youth and exuberance. Just ask my son!
    It has certainly played itself out here.
    Last edited by SamuraiX; Thu Aug 21st, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo

-Dedicated to all of those with BIG egos.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    ... At what level does the AMA do mandatory inspections of bikes?...
    I thought it was pretty much the same everywhere.
    Someone protests, ponies up the cash, and the part is tested.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Unless the AMA already has Spies' crankshaft, it's irrelevant, because even if the cheater part WAS in the bike during the race, it's definitely out of it now.

I'm just curious... At what level does the AMA do mandatory inspections of bikes? How deep do they normally tear down, and is it consistent every race or something new each time?

I doubt it was an intential cheater crank, probably has to do more with how DMG/AMA interpretted the rulebook verses how Yosh/Suzuki does. That said, Yoshimura probably thought they would never get torn down to the crank and have it inspected and Spies and Hayden undoubtably have (or had) the same cranks. They're inspections definately have not been consistent for each class but it seems they are tearing a top finishers bike down almost every race weekend in one of the 4 classes i.e. Hayes at Daytona, Rapp at Laguna, etc.
    More fuel for the DMG vs the Manufacturers drama. I bet if Mat hadn't openly spoken out against DMG and Mel Harris hadn't majorly pissed off Edmondsen, this would have never happened.
    Last edited by UglyDogRacing; Thu Aug 21st, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

The head of tech decides what he wants to see. The top three bikes are impounded after the race is over. The head of tech tells the crew chiefs what part he wants to see. It is usually only one part, it is the same on all three bikes, and it can be anything at all. Occasionally they take nothing. They usually take fuel samples too. Sometimes they have a good hunch from somewhere about a particular part that is not compliant and that is what they will look at on all the bikes if one of the non compliant bikes wins. For example, if an engine builder mentions to someone he built a bunch of Honda engines with non compliant crank shafts and a Honda wins a big race, they will look at crank shafts. Usually, however, they try to cover most major internals in a random order.

This is not the procedure if someone protests - that is completely different. But Mladin was caught on a tear down, not a protest.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    I doubt it was an intential cheater crank, probably has to do more with how DMG/AMA interpretted the rulebook verses how Yosh/Suzuki does.
    Those rules seemed pretty unambiguous to me. "You can only do these few things. Anything else is illegal."

Someone obviously "interpreted" wrong and got caught, but how intentional it was and by how many people remains to be seen. I'm curious if Mladin actually knew it was in there, or got unwittingly stripped of the points because some wrench did a bad thing. Regardless, he got caught doing something illegal and paid the penalty. I'm sure this kind of stuff goes on more than anyone really cares to admit.

I bet if Mat hadn't openly spoken out against DMG and Mel Harris hadn't majorly pissed off Edmondsen, this would have never happened.
    Yeah, fuck with people's money and they will fuck with you. Bite the hand that feeds you, so to speak, and you're gonna get slapped from time to time.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Yeah, fuck with people's money and they will fuck with you. Bite the hand that feeds you, so to speak, and you're gonna get slapped from time to time.

Ralph I think you got the idea right, but backwards. It has been well documented that that manufactors have been supporting the AMA series for years. They pay to help the tracks remodel, the promotors, the racers, advertising etc... So it looks like DMG may be biting the hand that will feed them next year.

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Those rules seemed pretty unambiguous to me. "You can only do these few things. Anything else is illegal."

Someone obviously "interpreted" wrong and got caught, but how intentional it was and by how many people remains to be seen. I'm curious if Mladin actually knew it was in there, or got unwittingly stripped of the points because some wrench did a bad thing. Regardless, he got caught doing something illegal and paid the penalty. I'm sure this kind of stuff goes on more than anyone really cares to admit.

Well Ralph maybe it had nothing to do with a "wrench doing a bad thing." What if everything they did was legal and it came down to something like the weight of the sample cranks sent to the AMA from Suzuki were less than Mat's crank due to machine tolerance differences. The first crank cut is usually lighter than the last one because of dulling. Mat may have had a disadvantage for all we know. I am only speculating though.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

All good points...

We'll probably never truly know, anyway.

than sincere ignorance

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

That's a fairly useless article. So, what, exactly, was the non-conformance?

And, I'd imagine most racers are not sure exactly what the mechanics put in their bikes.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

As a race fan and wanna-be racer (thanks joe aka jplracing) im sick of seeing one team sweep every round by ridiculous margins.

Miladin has been lapping into the top 10 lately

AND

I heard that they were also running traction control before it was legal a few years ago.

I was against edmunds and dmg in the beginning, but from what i've read lately the factories just want status quo racing. im over it and i dont even watch on tv anymore.
    5280 Supermoto #117
    Skull Candy, FMF Intl, Dragon, Epic Motosports, Michelin, Ogio

Colorado Supermoto Video

The AMA doesn't spell out specifically what was illegal in an effort not to embarrass the competitors. Just like Hayes' crank at Daytona; when the AMA DQ's somebody it is not because of a misunderstanding or slightly off-tolerance part - it will be something obviously illegal, trust me.

The big question is whether all of the Yosh bikes had this crank or just Mladin's. It's too bad only the #6 bike had the crank inspected. (The heads of all three podium bikes were inspected.) Mat seemed to have a lot of speed on Ben this round, and each rider does have thier own engine builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kranth View Post
    The AMA doesn't spell out specifically what was illegal in an effort not to embarrass the competitors. Just like Hayes' crank at Daytona; when the AMA DQ's somebody it is not because of a misunderstanding or slightly off-tolerance part - it will be something obviously illegal, trust me.
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=33821

“When we compared the crank from the winning bike to the control crank – we had a 2008 GSX-R1000 crank – it was obvious that there were significant differences in the manufacture of the two crankshafts,” AMA Pro Racing Director of Competition Colin Fraser told Roadracingworld.com Friday.
    Asked about the specific irregularities found with Mladin’s crankshaft, Fraser said, “It’s more about manufacturing issues."
    The explanation is still not very specific but from what I gather from the statements made is that it was not something that O'Rourke (Mladin's engine builder) did but rather a difference in how the cranks were tooled, weight possibly being one of those issues. Probably wont get the details until after the ruling on the appeal.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Ok, what gives?

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12863

Ok, hmmmm, Mladin seriously slams DMG, then they claim his crank is illegal.......and won't even say why?
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Fri Aug 29th, 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: 'Cause Oh-Bama needs CHANGE, dammit!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12868

Well, I'm all for DQ-ing them if it truly is NOT a production piece. But, maybe Suzuki got a batch from a different vendor? We'll see. they should weight them, do a material sample, check the MOI on them by spinning them, measure the journals, etc.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian