Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: commuting to work

commuting to work

Well gas prices are forcing me to park the old F-150 I drive at least 2-3 days a week. Kinda late in the season I know, I will be going very early and leaving before to bad of rush hour. Anyone else also commute to work daily? I will be going from Littleton to the Denver Tech Center. 19 miles one way.

Any tips for morning comute with reckless cagers? Becides just being alert, and careful?

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

Re: commuting to work

Just think of it as a technical obstacle course with pop-up morons and you'll be fine.
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

Not daily, but I try to ride 3-4 times a week if I don't have to drop the kids off, etc. I live in HR and work in the tech center - approx 12 miles.

If I take county line (from colorado) to Yosemite, N to the tech center, it takes me a few minutes longer, but is way more relaxing than 470 and 25. Leaving early is good for traffic, but the sun is awful low, and I wonder how many drivers actually see me in front of them. Coming home, I've found S on Quebec to 470 works best... keeps some air flowing in the afternoon heat.

I was thinking of driving to avoid the c-470 if at all possible. Hwy+morning+tired cagers scares me. I was thinking of taking bellview to I-70. what do you think?

If you have to ride east/west, try to avoid times when the sun is right in the drivers' eyes; sometimes even 10 minutes make a difference. Set spidey senses on maximum alert, high beams all the time. And it may be dorky but one of those Icon milspec vests in hi-viz yellow may help.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I commute every day. 1.8 miles each way, so I have very little to offer. In fact, I'm almost useless Although, I do almost get hit, nearly everyday, because of stupid ass boulder drivers drinking there double nonfat, low cal, hypermochafrappachino while talking on there vegan friendly blackberries.

Assume everyone is out to kill you and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    And it may be dorky but one of those Icon milspec vests in hi-viz yellow may help.
    Awww damn dude. How about the feelings of us poor military that are REQUIRED to wear those things? Although mine is Hardley Orange and not yellow.

John

Quote Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
    Well gas prices are forcing me to park the old F-150 I drive at least 2-3 days a week. Kinda late in the season I know, I will be going very early and leaving before to bad of rush hour. Anyone else also commute to work daily? I will be going from Littleton to the Denver Tech Center. 19 miles one way.

Any tips for morning comute with reckless cagers? Becides just being alert, and careful?

Are you going to post this one every motorcycle forum?
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

Yep - I commute ~30mi to work one way on teh bike. Only time I won't ride is if I know the weather is gonna suck or if I have to haul things/people.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Another daily commuter here, also about 30 miles each way. I do have an advantage in that I live in the country east of town so the sun is at my back and I dont have to deal with traffic until I am closer than Parker. A lot of good advice has been given, just be very observant of all the idiots on the road.

This summer I managed to go 2 1/2 months without commuting once in the truck, if it wasn't for the rain last week that streak would still be going...

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Parker to Boulder, daily (with the rare exception, of course).

Ya, be alert and just watch people - if you can't already, you'll soon develop a sense of what their about to do... do this when you're driving your cage too... pretty soon you'll be amazed at this new psychic ability you've developed.

If you're commuting early (around sunrise), don't forget - when your shadow is long & in front of you, oncoming traffic will be blinded by the sun and won't be able to see you... same is true for people turning onto the street you're on (either direction).

Ride safe.

PS: Moving to Technique forum
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

trying to see how much money I will be saving. I may have to think of less sporty tires, I need tires to last longer for sure.. WHat tires you all using?

I'm using some of my old race tires... Bridgestone BT-002's. Soft compound front, hard compound rear... riding em til their bald. I just put a "new" rear on 2 weeks ago, after putting 3000 miles on it since July 1st. I doubt it had 1000 miles on it before that.
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
    R.I.P. 502

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I commute on the bike about 3 times a week. From Highlands Ranch to Littleton. Other days are for chores/business meetings, and picking stuff up that I can't carry on the bike.

But for the most part, I have felt pretty comfortable on C-470. I know it just takes one in a crowd to ruin your riding moment, but maybe I have been lucky so far.

The C-470 people, seem to me, to be WAY nicer then the asshats on Santa Fe during rush hour coming home at night. My Santa Fe ride in the morning is great. It's the evening rush hour that has freaked me out. Stupid women drivers.

But, my take on it, is that I suppose it makes me a better overall rider to contend with it even though I get a lil nervous from time to time.

Silver lining is that maybe I will get to wave at you one day without knowing that it's you. And you have to admit that the nice cold air in the morning is kinda nice. Whoo hoo!

Safe riding.

Terri
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Words to LIVE by.

Did the 34mi. trip into the People's Republick of Boulder for 8 years and the above quote is my mantra when riding anytime.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

trying to see how much money I will be saving. I may have to think of less sporty tires, I need tires to last longer for sure.. WHat tires you all using?
    I use and 100% recommend the Pilot Road 2. It uses the 2CT technology of the Power except with a sport compound on the sides and a tour? compound in the center. I got 12000 miles out of a rear that was 99% commuting. I have taken them in the canyons and been satisfied but I have to qualify that with saying I am one of those that believes knee down, peg dragging belongs on the track. To give you an idea of how hard I push my tires usually have a 1/4" or so left on the sides untouched.

Basic MSF

Keep it in gear at red lights.
    Stay out of cager's blind spots.
    Stay in the far left or right of the lane at long stops to facilitate escape from pile-ups.
    Last edited by PharmerKyle; Fri Aug 22nd, 2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: I edit all o' my posts just to be annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.
    Proud pilot of the one and only 1994 Kaw EX500 "Failstrom" adventure-mo-dealie!

IBA# 20672

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post

Is this why you were slow in the corners ar R2SL? lol just keeding
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

AKA "Devaclis"

I ride 100%. Sold my cars to do this.

Head on a swivel

Stay in gear when stopped

Don't leave intersections first, let the vehicle next to you block red light runners

Get a loud fucking horn

I recommend the Metzler ME Z6 for your tires. Google some reviews on them, you will see why.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Just pay way more attention and get used to people riding your ass..
    I'm not innocent though I almost took out a bicycle this morning due to sun glare.
    On the other hand some dip shit in an older F350 about ran me over by not yeilding at a roundabout. Totally staring at me I had to honk about 6 times and he finally stoped! I was mid turn and there's no way I would have been able to stop in time if he had not stopped..
    11 BMW S 1000 RR

Re: Basic MSF

A couple of more thoughts I had during this morning's commute:
    • Ride with your high-beams on during the day!!!
    • Assume that people merging from an on-ramp will be coming straight over to the far left lane. Be pleasantly surprised when they don't.
    • The same is true if you're not on a highway and somebody turns off a side street to go the same direction as you.
    • If you're in the right lane and somebody is waiting to turns off a side street, don't assume that they're going to wait for you to pass... be prepared to slow down or change lanes to accomdate them, then honk at them and give them the "you're #1" salute.
    • On 3-lane roads/highways, be wary of people jumping from one outside lane to another (from slow lane to fast lane, or vice-versa).
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    Keep it in gear at red lights.
    I don't do this (not saying you should or shouldn't... it does have it's merits, such as a quick getaway from somebody who doesn't realize they're supposed to stop), I know it may not be the smartest, but I'm wary of the fact, usually keep an eye on my mirrors, and only relax once a car is stopped behind me.

Stay out of cager's blind spots.
    Definitely! I've told people "I never ride beside a cage (which risks putting me in their blind spot)... I'm either behind them, or passing them". As you start to pass them, take a quick look at the driver... sometimes you'll see their hand reaching for the signal, or they're doing a quick shoulder check before changing lanes (and don't expect that they'll see you). It's difficult to do this when the car has tinted front windows tho.

Stay in the far left or right of the lane at long stops to facilitate escape from pile-ups.
    Not sure how far over you're meaning. I'm usually where one of the car tires would be, and leave enough room in front of me that I can maneuver around if I need to. When I'm in stop-and-go traffic, I'm usually right near the edge of the lane, so I can jump into the other lane if it's going faster (I hate sitting in traffic anyway, but when you have a 50 mile commute, every little bit helps ).
    R.I.P. 502

I have the pilot roads as well. I'd recommend them. They don't get as sticky as the powers in the canyons, but they are perfectly grippy enough for my pace.

Couple of other thoughts from the BMF training I took many years ago:
    Always look in your mirrors when you come to a stop light. I keep it in gear until there is a stationary car behind me. Then I slip it in to neutral and sit up for a minuite.
    Pick your lane position based on the risks around you - move to the left of your lane if there is a junction on the right, move to the right if there is a car on your left, etc.

Right now I have the Pilot Sports of the SV, but that's what it came with. On the 05 I had Pirellie Stradas and will be going back to them when it's time for new tires.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

I commute ~25 one way almost everyday, pending good weather and if I don't have things to schlep around. I go from Thornton up to Genesee. Its a nice ride in the morning. No traffic, everyone is trying to get into the city, not leave it, as well as a lot of people are still asleep when I leave. Its all highway, except for about three minutes before I get onto the highway so I don't have to worry that much about intersections etc.

I almost got cagged the yesterday on I-70. I was passing a guy on the left, who was following a slow moving truck. He was behind that truck for a long time, so I wasn't anticipating him cutting into my lane. I wasn't in his blind spot cuz I looked right at him through his window as he came into my lane! He didn't even look first before he got over. He was looking as he was about to run me off the road. Fuggin idiot