Thread: Coolant, Water Wetter, Flush...

Coolant, Water Wetter, Flush...

ok, I decided that I am going to flush out the coolant and replace it. I am looking at doing my own mix of coolant and Distilled water. I have 2 questions...

Is it worth while to add Water Wetter?
    Does a 2003 GSXR750 really only have room for 400ml of fluid in the system? I am not sure as the manual I found was for a 2002...
    Last edited by Midget Hellion; Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 at 04:38 PM.

Re: Coolant, Water Wetter, Flush...

+1 for Water Wetter. I used a 3 part mix in my street bike and it brought temps down by almost 10 degrees.
    Casey D

I use Water Wetter in my bike and my car.

+1
    Mike

Why tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death!

www.myspace.com/mikehoner
    http://www.pickeringsauto.com/index.htm
    I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I understand why you would change your coolant, but why are you not replacing it with more coolant?

Keep in mind if you replace coolant/anti-freeze with water+water-wetter you'll need to change it back to anti-freeze in the winter. Unless you're keeping the bike in a temperature controlled environment.

You can get away with about a 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze, and if that's the case you won't need water-wetter.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    I understand why you would change your coolant, but why are you not replacing it with more coolant?

Keep in mind if you replace coolant/anti-freeze with water+water-wetter you'll need to change it back to anti-freeze in the winter. Unless you're keeping the bike in a temperature controlled environment.

You can get away with about a 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze, and if that's the case you won't need water-wetter.
    I wasn't going to add just water. I am looking at adding coolant and distilled water. I was trying to decide if I should add Water Wetter in addition to both coolant and water.

I don't see the need of adding water wetter if you're doing a mix. The coolant will have all of the lubricating properties of the watter wetter.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Awesome, then I may not bother...does anyone know the capacity of the cooling system?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    I don't see the need of adding water wetter if you're doing a mix. The coolant will have all of the lubricating properties of the watter wetter.
    This is a big misconception of the purpose of water wetter on a bike. The water pump IS NOT lubricated by the coolant. It is lubricated outside of the coolant path. Water wetter is a product that breaks the surface tension of the water to allow a larger "contact patch" if you will, with the radiator allowing more effective cooling. It works with and without anti-freeze. It's worth about 10 degrees on my race bike and about the same on my street bike (which has anti-freeze in it. Anti-Freeze and Water Wetter have two totally different functions and they can be used together effectively.

I believe the capacity is 2.5 quarts, but that's just a guess from doing a gsxr 600 a while back.
    Last edited by rybo; Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    This is a big misconception of the purpose of water wetter on a bike. The water pump IS NOT lubricated by the coolant. It is lubricated outside of the coolant path. Water wetter is a product that breaks the surface tension of the water to allow a larger "contact patch" if you will, with the radiator allowing more effective cooling. It works with and without anti-freeze. It's worth about 10 degrees on my race bike and about the same on my street bike (which has anti-freeze in it. Anti-Freeze and Water Wetter have two totally different functions and they can be used together effectively.

I believe the capacity is 2.5 quarts, but that's just a guess from doing a gsxr 600 a while back.

I've heard that water wetter is beneficial as a general lubricant for the cooling system, basically decreasing the viscocity of the water and allowing it to flow freely. That is in addition to its main purpose of dissipating heat quicker thus allowing the bike to run a bit cooler.

Regardless, I don't think it's anything more than a waste of money on a street bike with a 50/50 water/coolant mix, but you know what they say about opinions.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

I recently swapped out my coolant with engine ice, I felt it has made a huge difference, dropped the temp about 20-25 degrees on hot days in stop and go traffic and it is also almost non-toxic
    Mike

So let me ask...what temp should my bike operate at?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

between 180 and 210 during normal operation. A bit more in traffic

Figures...mine was 220 at night after a 5 mile run to the store...
    Last edited by Midget Hellion; Thu Sep 4th, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Removed Question for a new post...