Thread: starts, idles... dies?

Board Newbie

starts, idles... dies?

So I've been having some problems with my bike. I've got new spark plugs, a freshly charged battery, and a fresh tank of gas. The bike starts up fine and will idle fine. The minute I try to add throttle it cuts out on me.

I haven't messed with the throttle cable at all. Everything is where it's supposed to be, as far as I know.

This is a new one to me. Any thoughts?

Charlie

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: starts, idles... dies?

This is an interesting one.....check the fuel pump and fuel filter

As a previous owner of a 92 FZR 600, I feel your pain.

Your plugs were so fouled either by gas (or oil -- as no one seems to have mentioned this) that now that your bike is running, you need to let it run for a while WITHOUT the choke on and without giving it gas to burn up the extra fuel that's sitting where your plugs spark. Otherwise your bike will keep dying.

As to why your plugs were fouled....

When I got my fizzer, it kept fouling plugs. I got it rejetted and it kept fouling plugs. Then I read on a forum about these things in the carb that houses the needles. They get out of shape (oval) and extra fuel will flow past them when its not supposed to....I forget the name, but I had RMCP replace them finally and it fixed my excess fuel problem.

But then, I noticed either my valve seals were shot or oil was leaking from the valve cover itself and fouling out a plug. I never got around to fixing that and just got used to changing and/or cleaning plugs.

This is why I own a fuel injected bike now.

Board Newbie

Thanks TalonGrrl, I think you hit the nail on the head here. Not sure I want to spend the money to fix it, but it's good to know what's going on. Recently I've been able to ride I just (as you said) have to let it run for a while with choke off (think it also has to do with opperating temp). I'm guessing my inconsitent idle problem probably stems from this condition as well. Oh well, at least it's running and I'm learning to ride.

And u made a great choice Amanda ;-) Our fuel injection ROCKS! No twisting the throttle, holding in the clutch, screwing with the chock (like the gsxr) or having to sit up right with the kickstand up (like the duc). Just click in neutral, push the start button, n voila!