Thread: I just found out how waterproof my gear ISN'T

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

I just found out how waterproof my gear ISN'T

I wanted to test my Joe Rocket Meteor 4 Jacket & Ballistic 5.0 pants... I should've worn my rain suit over them - I had water running off the left sleeve (but only the left one ) into my glove! I started feeling water on my stomach at about the 20 minute/mile mark, and the bottom 6 inches of my jeans are soaked. Oh, and my 6 year old Teknic Silverstone race boots are NOT waterproof! Other than that, and the fact that I should've had my clear visor instead of the tinted one, it was a fun ride in (and still only took me an hour!).

Toes are a little cold right now tho.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Re: I just found out how waterproof my gear ISN'T

I really love how these garment manufactors make thier claims of waterproofness. If they acually went out in a deluge and hade to pound out 100 miles in it to get home they would reconcider thier claims.
    Ny new so called H2o proof jack isn't either Spidy, so don't feel bad.
    It is way better than the last though so I am reserving my complaints.
    Just a couple seeps in the vent zippers is all. At least it wasn't running down my arms like before. Bring on the fall riding season !

Peace Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Yeah, I wore gore-tex over my stuff and with the exception of my hands and feet, I'm dry.
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

I did alright riding in today. Had my Joe Rocket 3-piece leather jacket/zippered mesh on, but put on a lightweight rain jacket underneath. And then my Alter Ego pants with the rain liner. And then used my outdoor gear....had on some gortex tall hiking boots, and ice climbing gloves. It all keep me dry and warm for another wonderful day of riding.
    The only thing I need to do is put rain-x on the visor and the anti-fog stuff on the inside. It'd be nice to see a little better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider_9 View Post
    Yeah, I wore gore-tex over my stuff and with the exception of my hands and feet, I'm dry.
    I have a leather riding jacket, and on many downpouring rain storms up to Denver, my jacket was saturated, but it didnt soak through.. the only time i got wet underneath, is when i turned my head to make lane changes.. Was thinking of buying a "Waterproof" Jacket, but Now i'm gonna probably just keep what i have.. after hearing what you guys said!
    Every man dies..
    Not every man really Lives...

www.myspace.com/5thdynasty

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRSURFR View Post
    I have a leather riding jacket, and on many downpouring rain storms up to Denver, my jacket was saturated, but it didnt soak through..
    I noticed the same thing with my jacket. I may pick up some leather conditioner with waterproofing in it to treat the jacket with.
    As far as anything nylon goes (i.e. pants) I've just sprayed them with waterproofing stuff I picked up from REI.

As for the turning head thing, I just took a bandanna and tied it around my neck/chin and it did a decent job keeping the water and spay out of my jacket.

The aerostich isn't waterproof, just water resistant. I had a tiny patch of water on my left front pocket and that was it. I also had a pair of aerostich glove rain covers so my hands were dry and since I regularly wear Harley Storm boots, my feet were also dry. With the heated grips and water resistant gear, I didn't get wet at all until I got off the bike for the walk in to the office

Nice day for a ride. I didn't see any other bikes though.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Joecycle View Post
    As far as anything nylon goes (i.e. pants) I've just sprayed them with waterproofing stuff I picked up from REI.
    I've been meaning to pick some more of that up!
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
    R.I.P. 502

Must be nice to sleep in and get into work at 8:30?
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    8:30? That's crazy! I don't get here until 9 . . .
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Wow...that's nice. It's either 6 or 6:30 for me. But, back to Sponge Bob's gear....
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

I was stuck in the rain last night and I have an aplinestars leather jacket, stayed pretty warm and wasn't wet underneath.. my pants on the other since they were work pants..yea soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRSURFR View Post
    I have a leather riding jacket, and on many downpouring rain storms up to Denver, my jacket was saturated, but it didnt soak through.. the only time i got wet underneath, is when i turned my head to make lane changes.. Was thinking of buying a "Waterproof" Jacket, but Now i'm gonna probably just keep what i have.. after hearing what you guys said!

2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by Kappa03 View Post
    I was stuck in the rain last night and I have an aplinestars leather jacket, stayed pretty warm and wasn't wet underneath.. my pants on the other since they were work pants..yea soaked.
    I wear jeans when i ride, and usually, the heat from the engine, along with the wind, dries them out real good.. except for the bottom part! LOL
    Every man dies..
    Not every man really Lives...

www.myspace.com/5thdynasty

Haha yea my work pants are dickies but they still get wet a bit, my socks were soaked too

2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    Who?
    R.I.P. 502

AKA "Devaclis"

I have had some pretty good luck riding in the wet with my Burton snowboard pants (in cold weather only) I have not found 1 single pair of gloves that I would consider waterproof, even after treating them.

If you are going to be riding a lot this fall and winter, seek out Carl. really, he has some of the best gear for cold and wet riding. The gear he wears makes it a joy to ride in the cold and wet as opposed to a hassle.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I have Teknic Defender gloves (textile), which are no longer available, but are insulated and supposedly waterproof (hard to tell when water's getting in via the sleeve of my jacket ). They're pretty good, except (IMHO) there's too much insulation around the base of each finger, causing (at least for me) circulation to be cut off, resulting in cold fingers. Teknic even exchanged my XL pair for a pair of XXL in an attempt to remedy the situation, and it helped a little, but my fingers still get cold (it just takes a little longer now).

I'm thinking about getting heated grips.
    R.I.P. 502

AKA "Devaclis"

Go to Dennis Kirk . com and get some snowmobile gloves. Best idea Beuller ever gave me I have been in some VERY cold riding conditions without heated grips and they rock. Heated grips would just be icing

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cm...eafCatId=30203

Check out the CLOSEOUTS!!!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Go to Dennis Kirk . com and get some snowmobile gloves. Best idea Beuller ever gave me I have been in some VERY cold riding conditions without heated grips and they rock. Heated grips would just be icing

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cm...eafCatId=30203

Check out the CLOSEOUTS!!!
    Good idea!

I will give my ice climbing gloves a whirl and see what happens. I have some Joe Rocket's that seem fairly warm as well, but perhaps not as waterproof as they claim. There seems to be a good (and supposedly waterproof) pair of gloves on that page for $55 though which is a damn good deal.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...