Thread: Suspension Set-Up, Help

Suspension Set-Up, Help

So, who wants to spend some quality time with me and help me get the suspension to the SV set up right?

Pretty much what I need is someone to hold my hand and walk me through it.

Thanks,
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Suspension Set-Up, Help

Setting your sag is going to take 2 people, unless you know a stud that can actually hold you upright on the bike, while they're also taking suspension measurements.

Just for your FYI.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Jason ON View Post
    So, who wants to spend some quality time with me and help me get the suspension to the SV set up right?

Pretty much what I need is someone to hold my hand and walk me through it.

Thanks,
    No question whatsoever...

get in touch with Dave Rose www.fixmybike.com

it will yeild a well set up bike AND a great education in suspension adjustment and tuning. It might cost you a few bucks, but I promise you'll like the results.

Scott

The easy way is to do this.I have my SV setup like they suggested and its great on the street.

If not, then take it to Dave, Ive always wanted him to setup mine and that guy is a suspension wiz!
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    1993 Yamaha FZR 600 Tear Down!!
    1996 Yamaha FZR 600 <Sold>
    Twitter!

What kind of coin does a suspension set up usually cost.
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Get in touch with Dave for sure. I know when he's at the track he charges about $50 and that gets you some consultation for the day. Make a change, go out and try it and come back in to make another change.

IF you need parts, like a different rear spring or fork springs those are extra. In the case of some bikes the front and rear of the bike comes horribly set up from the factory. I know of one case where the back end was set up for about 180 lbs of rider and passenger and the front had springs for about 110 lbs. All in all getting it right is one of the best performance mods you can make.

s

Anyone got a good link to suspension tuning? I set my SV and my Gixxer up to what some folks say is a good starting point (essentially the middle of adjustment ranges). But how do I know if it's optimum for my weight and riding ability? That is, without instrumentation or lap times to be able to tell, other than by feel?

I seem to recall an article someplace that says: if the rear feels like it's skipping on exit, do this, or if it's not turning in do that.
    Even if I don't do it myself I want to be able to tell a tech intelligently I need more compression or rebound etc.
    Last edited by asp_125; Mon Sep 15th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Anyone got a good link to suspension tuning? I set my SV and my Gixxer up to what some folks say is a good starting point (essentially the middle of adjustment ranges). But how do I know if it's optimum for my weight and riding ability? That is, without instrumentation or lap times to be able to tell, other than by feel?

I seem to recall an article someplace that says: if the rear feels like it's skipping on exit, do this, or if it's not turning in do that.
    Even if I don't do it myself I want to be able to tell a tech intelligently I need more compression or rebound etc.
    When talking to a tech (such as Suspension Dave which I highly recommend) you want to tell them "the front is doing this or the rear is doing that" then the suspension tech can say if you need more rebound or less compression.

I have a book called "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" written by Andrew Trevitt. It is very much a beginner type book which covers all settings and how they affect your bike.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    No question whatsoever...

get in touch with Dave Rose www.fixmybike.com

it will yeild a well set up bike AND a great education in suspension adjustment and tuning. It might cost you a few bucks, but I promise you'll like the results.

Scott
    I'll contact him but money's getting tight right now. Thanks,
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

if we can get 5 people we can have dave do our suspension over here at speer and colfax. LMK who is in. I got me any my buddy that are down to get this done so we need 3 more people
    TintTechonline.com or PM me- Tint for your car!!!

Shameless plug: Go buy the book Total Control. There are two excellent sections in there that will help you set up your suspension--not to mention all the riding tips. You can get our book at Barnes and Noble, etc. Nothing like having a bit of knowledge under your belt.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

i have 2 bikes i want dave to do but they are both over at dallas's house minus fairings and tanks.
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Cool Re: Suspension Set-Up, Help

Quote Originally Posted by jimwallace View Post
    i have 2 bikes i want dave to do but they are both over at dallas's house minus fairings and tanks.
    where is dallas house at? if is not so far from us we could probably go there...
    TintTechonline.com or PM me- Tint for your car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guessinthe2000 View Post
    if we can get 5 people we can have dave do our suspension over here at speer and colfax. LMK who is in. I got me any my buddy that are down to get this done so we need 3 more people

Hey i'm down on this.. PM me some info if you can.
    When in doubt...Pull it out.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    ... In the case of some bikes the front and rear of the bike comes horribly set up from the factory..... All in all getting it right is one of the best performance mods you can make.
    +1
    My R6 came stock with front springs rated for 110lbs and a rear for 210lbs. (For 2-up riding)

Racetech front springs are a round $115 and easy to install. Best/Cheapest upgrade I've ever done to a bike.

+1 on Dave.
    If/When I re-valve the front and replace the rear I'm definitely going to him for the tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by guessinthe2000 View Post
    where is dallas house at? if is not so far from us we could probably go there...
    Dallas is down in the Springs.
    By all accounts he's an excellent welder, not sure if he does side jobs regularly, but I know he's helped a lot of friends out with their welding needs.
    Last edited by Sortarican; Thu Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

dallas is in the springs (as noted) i have a trailer so i can haul them wherever, but my concern is the weight difference without the fairings how much will that effect the setup.
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)