Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metallica - Real rockers or fart knockers?

Re: Metallica - Real rockers or fart knockers?

Sold out after ....And Justice for All. They just annoy me now.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing View Post
    Now if Jeff, Dana and Chris would all stop listening to the back street boys Britteny Spears and the theme song to 7th heaven, they might actually hear some good music ..
    You listen here Sonny Jim.
    I was PLAYING in metal bands when ye were still suckling at yer mother's teet!

(Play artist.....Tiffany....um ahhh...I mean UFO...yeah UFO!)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Just got the new Metallica. Haven't been able to listen to it all yet but there are some good riffs.

The new Motorhead is classic. Listen to it at Motorhead decibel volumes and it will cause drain bamage. Good stuff.

SANITARIUM!

-Dedicated to all of those with BIG egos.

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    You listen here Sonny Jim.
    I was PLAYING in metal bands when ye were still suckling at yer mother's teet!

(Play artist.....Tiffany....um ahhh...I mean UFO...yeah UFO!)

Listen here old man, you might want to see a doctor cause you are starting to slip in your old age......My name is Joe not Jim

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

I agree with everyone who said Metallica sold out. When Lars went before congress to outlaw illegal file sharing he proved he didn't care about the music or the fans, but rather the profits. He became the poster-boy for corporate greed. I haven't listened to them since.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

Metallica FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I am i the same boat, I like the black album, but it was definitely the beginning of the pussification of a hard core metal band.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire?
    You can't fault a band for evolving. They all went back to school. They studied classic literature and cut their hair. If they kept making albums that sounded the same, they'd be AC/DC.

I do agree that there more recent stuff hasn't grabbed me the same way as the rawness of "I GOT SOMETHING TO SAY...!" but dammit, Fuel is a great freeking song.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

I guess I generally just dont give a shit what a band does off stage. If I like their music then I listen. Hell I hate Marilyn Manson but love some of his music. Dope show is a great cd. I think its just fun to jump on the Metallica sold out wagon, same with the Green day sold out wagon. Who gives a shit they make good music??? Thats not a personal attack on anyone, simply my opinion.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing View Post
    nah your not the only one that likes the new cd.

For what its worth the first song they released on the radio was the weakest one on the album

I have been a Metallica fan since the 7th grade. Everything after And Justice for All sucked. However on the new one I am glad they have tried to go back to there roots. They will never be as raw as they were in the 80s and early 90s, but the new album rocks

Now if Jeff, Dana and Chris would all stop listening to the back street boys Britteny Spears and the theme song to 7th heaven, they might actually hear some good music

I am rockin' out to some Clay Aiken!! Backstreet is awright.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I like this quote.... "There's nothing to discuss. That fact that Sydsvenskan has a writer that has downloaded this music illegally and then makes mention of an illegal site in his review is totally unacceptable to us."

Ummm if he had looked into the laws, it's not illegal to download it. .........douche
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I am rockin' out to some Clay Aiken!! BackDOOR is awright.
    fixed it for ya
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Metallica died after "And Justice..." as far as I'm concerned. That was the untimate peak of their evolution. From there it has been steady digression. Shit, I remember the world premier of "Enter Sandman" and about a minute in we all thought it was a joke! As in MTV was playing some kind of prank!
    So sad though...every album they put out was a definite progression beyond the album before it...until the Crack album.

The new stuff is clearly Rick Rubin whipping them like sled dogs, trying to get them back on track.

This is what makes or breaks a band, and definitely what broke them. When Metallica was hungry, and had something to fight toward, they actually related to what the hell they talked and played about and busted their asses to convey that message.
    Once they have nothing to work for, the hunger is lost, and the music reflects it. Now, in their case I would say that once certain members start ammassing collections of bullshit, pretentious, $40,000.00 nuovo art, or when marriage counseling comes into play, freakin' let it die with dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Once they have nothing to work for, the hunger is lost, and the music reflects it....
    That right there is the fact of the matter.

After becoming nouveau rich very few bands/artists can really produce the same visceral feel they had when they were struggling.

Only a handful that I can think of (Beatles, Floyd, Stones, maybe U2) ever accomplished it.
    And even then they had to reinvent themselves and their sound evolved into something very different than what it was when they started out.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

I know that they seemed to have sold out. I can give that much, but back in the mid to late 80's (yes, I know I'm dating myself) they were the cutting edge of rock! In fact, their earlier music was so influential that the young kids today still sing the songs . . . sell outs - yeah, but you have to give them credit for what they did early on. They truly were pioneers and went againast the mainstay of what music was at the time . . . just my $.02
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

It seems everyone wants to jump on them for not being as hardcore as when they first came out, well hell who of us are as hardcore as we were 20, even 10 years ago? A night of drinking now requires me to set up an itinerary, cancell the next days appiontments, and ensure I have hangover remedies availible. It used to start with "Hey lets grab a beer" and end with me showing up at work the next day in the same clothes as the day before.

On the upside, I don't drink shit anymore becuase I have (some) money now. Sell-out? Oh hell yeah, you bet. Music is no exception. You what they say about 25 and 35. If you're not fighting the system at 25, you have no heart, if you're not a part of the system at 35, you have no brain.

Who here has that friend in their late 30's still acting like they are 25, working another in a series of dead end jobs until they quit or get fired and call you a sell out becuase you have responsibilites? That guys not hardcore, he's pathetic. Granted you may not like what they are doing now, but if Metallica sounded exactly the same as the 80's, they would suck.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    ..Who here has that friend in their late 30's still acting like they are 25, working another in a series of dead end jobs until they quit or get fired and call you a sell out becuase you have responsibilites? That guys not hardcore, he's pathetic.....
    Hey, I resent that remark.
    I'm so gonna kick your ass.

(.... as soon as I move outta my Mom's basement.)

It seems everyone wants to jump on them for not being as hardcore as when they first came out, well hell who of us are as hardcore as we were 20, even 10 years ago?
    A night of drinking now requires me to set up an itinerary, cancell the next days appiontments, and ensure I have hangover remedies availible. It used to start with "Hey lets grab a beer" and end with me showing up at work the next day in the same clothes as the day before.

On the upside, I don't drink shit anymore becuase I have (some) money now. Sell-out? Oh hell yeah, you bet. Music is no exception. You what they say about 25 and 35. If you're not fighting the system at 25, you have no heart, if you're not a part of the system at 35, you have no brain.

Who here has that friend in their late 30's still acting like they are 25, working another in a series of dead end jobs until they quit or get fired and call you a sell out becuase you have responsibilites? That guys not hardcore, he's pathetic. Granted you may not like what they are doing now, but if Metallica sounded exactly the same as the 80's, they would suck.

I'm just speaking for me but I never said anything about them needing to sound as hardcore as they were back when. My opinion is based on the fact that they actually digressed. Seriously, in the way of composition, lead and rhythm work, drums without any shadow of doubt, intensity, etc. At the most critical, pivotal point in their collective musicianship, they took a sharp 180 and set it on perpetual cruise control.
    I'm more hardcore (music wise) than I was 20 years ago and at least as much as 10 ago... and I have the studio recordings and a national tour to back it up. My tastes and interests have definitely broadened but in the big picture of what I listen to and 85% of what I play, I jam as heavy as it gets. Of course, I'm also a 4.0 GPA college student working on my bachelor's. I'm 36 now. Yeah, I got a late start but I'm young as hell at heart. That does not equate in any way to irresponsible, immature, or in need of growing up in any way. It just means my tastes haven't changed much in the way of music and I guarantee that if I'm playing it, I'm playing it to brutal crowds, even today. Thass jus' me tho.

'Nother quick point: It's not like we're talking about Ozzy or Dio here, which with 20 years lead, are both still rocking as hard as they did before Metallica hit the world. We're talking about Metallica. They are an icon of thrash metal, if not the icon. Consider Testament. Another iconic Bay Area thrash scene band from the same era. They actually at one point, had Kirk Hammet guitaring for them. Anyhow, They have actually gotten heavier and heavier with each album and still put em out every year and tour them. That's after their vocalist survived brain cancer too. So to somehow accept (it's everyone's individual right to of course but...) that they are busier covering Bob Seger than they are at kicking ass, taking names and basically being...Metallica, is sacrilege to what I grew up knowing them as.
    Last edited by Raptor; Wed Sep 17th, 2008 at 01:11 PM.

Again...thanks Mr. Bob Rock. You suck!

[quote=Raptor;357226]'Nother quick point: It's not like we're talking about Ozzy or Dio here, which with 20 years lead, are both still rocking as hard as they did before Metallica hit the world. [quote]

So true.

Some guys just have it in their soul. I've seen Ozzy and Dio in concert more times than I'd like to admit and they still great.

I say listen to the music that you enjoy. If you like old Metallica over new then listen to the old. Time waits for no man and maybe age has mellowed some rockers a bit more than others. There is always up and coming indie bands to listen to as well as the bigger names. Hard rock isn't dead yet.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

There are more players that pick a Gibson Les Paul than any other ax. Les Paul's are the sound that others are judged by --- period.

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

The ...And Justice For All tour was the last one I liked. Saw them twice on the Black Album tour and once for Load but by then, I was done.

Master Of Puppets was their high point IMO.

I dont know Im listening to All Nightmare long and its got me headbanging at my laptop haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I am going to go and download their entire library, and not pay for it.

... but seriously, why would you ...

Their entire collection would take up valuable storage space which could be put to better use by storing music of some kind.

Don't punish yourself.

Download At the Drive In - Relationship of Command and relive the year 2000. I seem to remember having a great deal of optimism about how kick ass the more hard core stuff was going to be back then.

If I thought that "Lars Online" was what the future of Rock would bring me, I would have bought an acoustic guitar and beat my own head in.

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.