Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Metallica - Real rockers or fart knockers?

Re: Metallica - Real rockers or fart knockers?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I vote fart knockers. Really? What a bunch of hard core, anti-establishment, rockers!! Screw the man, unless you ARE the man!

Lars needs to have his man card revoked and replaced with a free panty of the month card from Victorias Secret. Douche bag!!

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/...sal-cance.html
    Yeah, unless they come out with something that'll knock our socks off soon, stick a fork in them... Disturbed seems to be the Kings of the killer Guitar riffs and licks these days..
    Every man dies..
    Not every man really Lives...

www.myspace.com/5thdynasty

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRSURFR View Post
    Yeah, unless they come out with something that'll knock our socks off soon, stick a fork in them... Disturbed seems to be the Kings of the killer Guitar riffs and licks these days..
    Only in America, and I would venture to say there are alot heavier bands in America that are way heavier than Disturbed.

But if you're looking for rib crushing riffs, look no further that european Power Metal or Death Metal. Some Black Metal bands have heavy riffs but for the most part they play to fast to make any kind of thunder with their guitars.

Oh and if you want heavy American metal, might I recommend none other than:
    ICED EARTH or Demons and Wizards(both bands have Jon Schaffer as the guitarist both rhythm and lead).

here you go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4CDLmDx_Y
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXpWjPNAA-w
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Thu Sep 18th, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Only in America, and I would venture to say there are alot heavier bands in America that are way heavier than Disturbed.

But if you're looking for rib crushing riffs, look no further that european Power Metal or Death Metal. Some Black Metal bands have heavy riffs but for the most part they play to fast to make any kind of thunder with their guitars.

Oh and if you want heavy American metal, might I recommend none other than:
    ICED EARTH or Demons and Wizards(both bands have Jon Schaffer as the guitarist both rhythm and lead).

here you go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4CDLmDx_Y
    I'll have to check that out.. Disturbed is like the "Commercial" version of Metal, but yes, by far not the heaviest..
    Every man dies..

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRSURFR View Post
    I'll have to check that out.. Disturbed is like the "Commercial" version of Metal, but yes, by far not the heaviest..
    true, very true. Though I think 5 Fingered Death Punch is fairly heavy too, as well as Mudvayne, Slipknot and Godsmack. However, Godsmack being the lightest of those.

I always though Ozzy had some great guitarist myself, especially Zakk Wylde. He always has heavy riffs.

And we can't rule out the all time KING of heavy metal Mr. Tony Iommi. Some of his solo stuff is very heavy, and it's mainly his tuning. Using a low C to achieve his thunderous riffs.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

their music always blew ass. they were just a bunch of money huggers. sell outs too.

And we can't rule out the all time KING of heavy metal Mr. Tony Iommi.
    Saw him again last year. He is a multi-millionaire that never mellowed with money and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I'm just speaking for me but I never said anything about them needing to sound as hardcore as they were back when. My opinion is based on the fact that they actually digressed. Seriously, in the way of composition, lead and rhythm work, drums without any shadow of doubt, intensity, etc. At the most critical, pivotal point in their collective musicianship, they took a sharp 180 and set it on perpetual cruise control.
    I'm more hardcore (music wise) than I was 20 years ago and at least as much as 10 ago... and I have the studio recordings and a national tour to back it up. My tastes and interests have definitely broadened but in the big picture of what I listen to and 85% of what I play, I jam as heavy as it gets. Of course, I'm also a 4.0 GPA college student working on my bachelor's. I'm 36 now. Yeah, I got a late start but I'm young as hell at heart. That does not equate in any way to irresponsible, immature, or in need of growing up in any way. It just means my tastes haven't changed much in the way of music and I guarantee that if I'm playing it, I'm playing it to brutal crowds, even today. Thass jus' me tho.

'Nother quick point: It's not like we're talking about Ozzy or Dio here, which with 20 years lead, are both still rocking as hard as they did before Metallica hit the world. We're talking about Metallica. They are an icon of thrash metal, if not the icon. Consider Testament. Another iconic Bay Area thrash scene band from the same era. They actually at one point, had Kirk Hammet guitaring for them. Anyhow, They have actually gotten heavier and heavier with each album and still put em out every year and tour them. That's after their vocalist survived brain cancer too. So to somehow accept (it's everyone's individual right to of course but...) that they are busier covering Bob Seger than they are at kicking ass, taking names and basically being...Metallica, is sacrilege to what I grew up knowing them as.
    Fair enough, and obviously you have more musical knowledge than I do. I do think lyrically they have done some cool stuff recently.

As for the college thing, I went to school full time at 30 myself, so I get it. No, that makes no one immature, in fact going to any school, college or trade at any age implies exactly the opposite, I was talking about the guy who builds his (or her) life around partying.

And again, I realize I am way outta my league, but that last Dio relase was absolute total crap. Oh dear god what a collection of pandering tired lyrics (ooooh lookit me, I like the devile wooooo) and just lame rifs. Please, The Outfield was more hardcore at the El Paso County fair. Now, Ozzy may still have it in the the studio, but when I see him on stage I honestly feel sorry for him. I get why he does it, and bless him for still doing it. But his case, its not the age, its the mileage and his shows are just not that great. But, I am also not as passionate as you are about my metal. I was, but that became an interest in punk, then new age and electronica and I picked up a few favs from each form along the way I still like. I am not a musician, so lyrics tend to grab me more than rifs.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, I did discover At The Drive In a few years back, and yeah, that stuff is great. Testament was never my bag, even in my deepest Madien T-Shirt mullet sporting days, so I can't say anything to that.

You have come to a well reasoned position based on a style and tatse you developed early on, and you have the advantage of being a musician. You have compared Metallica's evolution to that of several other bands of the same ilk and deicied they have not gone with the same formula that originally made you a fan. I just get annoyed with everyone hating a group becuase they don't sound the same, and I hate the bandwagoners who always have such a nasty backlash for a band they once liked.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

true, very true. Though I think 5 Fingered Death Punch is fairly heavy too, as well as Mudvayne, Slipknot and Godsmack. However, Godsmack being the lightest of those.

I always though Ozzy had some great guitarist myself, especially Zakk Wylde. He always has heavy riffs.

And we can't rule out the all time KING of heavy metal Mr. Tony Iommi. Some of his solo stuff is very heavy, and it's mainly his tuning. Using a low C to achieve his thunderous riffs.
    You know, Slayer always had some real Cool riffs as well.. Angel Of Death, South Of Heaven.. And i'm not just talking about the "Heaviest", but also the hardest and the most catchy.. Sum 41, "Pain For Pleasure", Megadeth, "Angry Again" You Know...
    Every man dies..

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    4th generation metal......meh.....never much cared for it.
    Wow!!! your old!! What is 1st generation metal?
    I play more games that Coleco!!

Good points made. Especially on the one regarding people slamming bands for not staying the same forever. I would be in hell if I were expected to write or play the same as I did 10 or more years ago. A musician has got to evolve. Sometimes it means evolving right out of the original genre. It happens, sometimes to people's liking and sometimes not so. Either way, the one thing that kills me more than anything is when digression of musicianship is painfully apparent. In other words, I can't stand when they get lazy and lose their drive.

I'll definitely be listening to the new Metallica with an open mind. I expect to hear at least some difference with Rick Rubin producing.

In all fairness, I didn't catch the last Dio release but I did get to hang out with him for a day and then ride with him and his crew to Boulder for a show. That was...I wanna say...99 or 00?? Can't temember but I was amazed at how much zeal and energy he offered live to his old and new stuff.
    Ozzy...I have to admit that 3 of the last 4 times I saw him weren't exactly explosive as far as his personal performance. The band as a whole can't miss with his lineup but it's always a gamble as to how on Ozzy himself will be. Last time I saw him at this most recent Ozzfest he was really on his game and on point with his vocals... and I must say I was freaking impressed. I was all grins the whole show seeing him throw it down like he would have 15 years ago. For his age and all he's been through for the sake of who adn what he is, he doesn't quit and he gives it everything he has. Iif Ozzy's game is lacking, it's only because the guy has twice the road and life miles as most bands still going. In Metallica's case, I can't say exactly why they decided to backslide (Bob Rock didn't help things one bit) but it is simply not because they've been around the block and weathered the times that the likes of Ozzy has.

BTW, LOLZ @ The Outfield.

Peace buddy.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Fair enough, and obviously you have more musical knowledge than I do. I do think lyrically they have done some cool stuff recently.

As for the college thing, I went to school full time at 30 myself, so I get it. No, that makes no one immature, in fact going to any school, college or trade at any age implies exactly the opposite, I was talking about the guy who builds his (or her) life around partying.

And again, I realize I am way outta my league, but that last Dio relase was absolute total crap. Oh dear god what a collection of pandering tired lyrics (ooooh lookit me, I like the devile wooooo) and just lame rifs. Please, The Outfield was more hardcore at the El Paso County fair. Now, Ozzy may still have it in the the studio, but when I see him on stage I honestly feel sorry for him. I get why he does it, and bless him for still doing it. But his case, its not the age, its the mileage and his shows are just not that great. But, I am also not as passionate as you are about my metal. I was, but that became an interest in punk, then new age and electronica and I picked up a few favs from each form along the way I still like. I am not a musician, so lyrics tend to grab me more than rifs.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, I did discover At The Drive In a few years back, and yeah, that stuff is great. Testament was never my bag, even in my deepest Madien T-Shirt mullet sporting days, so I can't say anything to that.

You have come to a well reasoned position based on a style and tatse you developed early on, and you have the advantage of being a musician. You have compared Metallica's evolution to that of several other bands of the same ilk and deicied they have not gone with the same formula that originally made you a fan. I just get annoyed with everyone hating a group becuase they don't sound the same, and I hate the bandwagoners who always have such a nasty backlash for a band they once liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Wow!!! your old!! What is 1st generation metal?
    I wasn't there (waaaay too young) but Sortarican was...he'll tell ya: "the first generation metal was bronze. Why do you think they called it the Bronze Age, sonny?"

1st generation metal was Iron Butterfly, Jimi Hendrix and the James Gang.
    These are the people that first learned how to take distortion and sculpt it into music.

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.

when cliff died, metallica died, period.
    they have been a joke since master of puppets
    04 RC51

Loooooser fart knockers, can't even listen to the new song, it sucks!
    Mike