Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do we highside?

Re: Why do we highside?

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    If you have a Kawi its just this easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s44KOINBB0
    That vid is pretty cool. Must have been a yamaha engine with a kawi body, otherwise I don't think it's possible to get that much hp?

Thanks again for the tips everybody. Now lets have all of the MRA crew show me how it's possible, to not do it, all weekend!
    Last edited by Sean; Thu Sep 18th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

I've read in quite a few places to stay steady on the throttle (don't increase or decrease) like many have said here, but what prevents this situation from turning into a low side? I've also heard to steer into a skid. Do you only want to do that in the example that Pilot posted? It seems that if you got on the throttle to hard out of a turn and then made a steering input you would just upset the geometry of the bike even more.
    '79 455 Formula Firebird
    '01 aprilia mille RSV
    ~Tyler

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by 455bird View Post
    I've read in quite a few places to stay steady on the throttle (don't increase or decrease) like many have said here, but what prevents this situation from turning into a low side? I've also heard to steer into a skid. Do you only want to do that in the example that Pilot posted? It seems that if you got on the throttle to hard out of a turn and then made a steering input you would just upset the geometry of the bike even more.
    Hey Tyler,

You make some good points. I'll respond.

1) Trying to stand the bike back up onto it's wheels keeps it from becoming a lowside. Also, that the ground speed and the wheel speed are matching slowly (bike is still accellerating, even if the wheel is spinning). You are going to generally be doing this as most highsides are happening at corner exit anyways. Even if it doesn't work, I'll take the lowside over the highside any day.

2) Yes, counter steering will help keep the back of the bike from coming all the way around. The good news about this is that it's almost instictive to do.

i am a victim of "chopping the throttle off..." it happens so fast your natural instinct is to let off, good thing i was only in a parking lot and only broke my wrist lol definately not fun but its good experience!

The bike will naturally steer into the skid (point down the road). This is the path of least resistance for the rolling front wheel. Rider input, and a battle between the arms and hands in a feedback loop of countering each other plays a great roll in the bike flipping the rider off. There have been many a rider bucked off (up, left, right, forward, backward) only to have the bike right itself and then continue on down the road. We only need to remember the vivid situation in which the bike and rider came off turn seven where the rider bailed/was thrown off and the bike said, "Fine, I'll keep on going myself," until Matty made a gallant effort to stop it.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by mastap07 View Post
    i am a victim of "chopping the throttle off..." it happens so fast your natural instinct is to let off, good thing i was only in a parking lot and only broke my wrist lol definately not fun but its good experience!
    In order to break this "habit" or SR as Code puts it, a rider must practice staying on the gas. This takes a dedicated effort and for some, it works to actually talk out loud in your helmet to oneself saying, "gas, gas, gas." Then in an emergency, muscle memory will take over.

You really don't have time to think this one out.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    The number one reason, IMO, for beginner riders to highside on the track is:

CHOPPING OFF THE THROTTLE

When you feel the rear tire sliding out, its not always a bad thing. Just make sure you are hanging off the bike, keep steady throttle and push the bike upright. If you can avoid the instinct to chop the throttle, you will be ok.
    +1!!! Biggest problem for just about every inexperienced rider is chopping the throttle, but their other problem is poor throttle control to begin with. Rolling the throttle should be a smooth action, not cracking it. When you feel the rear start to slide out a little, keep it steady on the throttle. Chopping the throttle is like hitting the brakes: it causes the weight distribution to be upset from about 40/60 front to rear (± 5%) during the turn to about 60/40 or greater front to rear.
    Last edited by CaneZach; Mon Jan 5th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

I just wanted to comment that the advice here is really good.

From what I have read it sound similar to fish tailing a car? like...increasing the throttle on a car slightly while the rear end slides out actually corrects because it's forcing the vehicle to straighten itself out...

Am I close? or did I totally miss the point of the lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by DeVeck View Post
    I just wanted to comment that the advice here is really good.

From what I have read it sound similar to fish tailing a car? like...increasing the throttle on a car slightly while the rear end slides out actually corrects because it's forcing the vehicle to straighten itself out...

Am I close? or did I totally miss the point of the lesson?
    Kind of. Motorcycles, technically being articulated vehicles, automatically turn the steering wheel (the front wheel, not the steering wheel like a car has) into the direction of the rotation. In other words, think of a motorcycle as a semi tractor towing a trailer. Everything from the front forks/bars back would be the trailer, while the forks are the actual semi. Once the rear starts to rotate around, the front wheel is automatically turned in the direction of the slide so all you need to do is stay on the throttle to retain control.

If everyone gets a kawi... then we have to deal with threads like... "How do you resist the urge to show off?"

Also there is a book out called "twist of the wrist II" that is a must read of riding sportbikes at top speed.
    Last edited by ZX9Rider; Sat Jan 10th, 2009 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    That vid is pretty cool. Must have been a yamaha engine with a kawi body, otherwise I don't think it's possible to get that much hp?

Thanks again for the tips everybody. Now lets have all of the MRA crew show me how it's possible, to not do it, all weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9Rider View Post
    If everyone gets a kawi... then we have to deal with threads like... "How do you resist the urge to show off?"

Also there is a book out called "twist of the wrist II" that is a must read of riding sportbikes at top speed.
    I am quite certain this link is an example of trail braking. Just wasn't sure people saw that from their comments. Cool video.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

#3...does hitting a boulder and going over the handlebars count as a high side?

I don't believe I'll get to the point of pushing myself on the track during track days to the point of high side. I'm git'n along in my years and I think I've seen about as much speed as I'm gonna see for my tastes. I want to make my later years as pain free as possible. But, knowing the physics of a track high side is good...just in case I feel like testing my resolve.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

KIMS??
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

I did this one in 2002. My first year on the track. Was on street tires, ran out of ground clearance, chopped the throttle and landed in the grass somewhere with a broken ankle and bruised tailbone. Yea that was my introduction to high side. Notice the sparks from the gear shift or peg dragging. There was a drag mark on the shift lever. I miss that bike.

Last edited by nwatkins; Tue May 19th, 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: adding picture
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice
    Sponsor: Visa Mastercard overdraft protection

lol, i just had to see this one because of my sig..
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen