Thread: $10 for the person to figure out the problem

Red face $10 for the person to figure out the problem

Sorry for the long post.

Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6, 33xx miles.

Problem- Wont hardly start and stay running.

Story- The bike is a track bike, and I had a little lowside at IMI last week. The bike slide across the track, caught the grass, and did a slow roll onto the other side. So I walk over to the bike, pick it up, put it in N and start it. I ride it over to my trailer and load it up. No problems. Nothing major was broke/bent.
    Take it home, ride it for a couple of laps around the block, back into the garage and look at it a little closer and notice that I got some dirt in/under the gas cap area. So, I take the gas tank off, drain it, remove the fuel pump, and clean the whole inside. I cleaned off the fuel filter too. I took the gas filler cap off and clean that whole area as well. Got it all nice and clean.
    Put the tank back on the bike. Connected it correctly. Filled with some new gas, and tried to start it. Fuel pump primes, cranks for a bit, and no start. So I take the tank back off, take the pump back out to make sure it is good. It checks out fine. Put it back on and same thing.

-I remove the fuel line from the fuel rail, and prime the pump and it puts out plenty of fuel.

-I removed the air box and look down into the engine while cranking to make sure the injectors are putting gas into the engine. They are. (*see note below.)

-I checked for spark. I removed plug number 2, ground it out and it is getting tons of juice. Also removed plug 3. Cleaned both while I had them out.

-Bike wants to start and does. It only starts if, while cranking, I open and close the throttle repeatedly. When it does start it only runs for less then 5 seconds and no higher then 700 rpm. It is not the idle speed being to low. If I give it any gas while running, it just dies. No back-fires.

*The injectors' pattern is not a mist. It is more like forcefull droplets. But if I look right above the intake valves, there is a nice fuel fog. Also, all the injectors have the exact same pattern. So I do not think they are clogged. It just seems odd to my that, all the injectors, would have the exact same, clogged pattern.

I just want to get some advice before I start throwing parts/money at it.

Thanks for any help,

Tyler B.
    Last edited by colo; Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 at 07:50 PM.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Re: $10 for the person to figure out the problem

sounds like you didnt connect a vacum line...

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

I never disconnected a vacuum line. That I know of anyway. I did look for connections that may have come undone, both vacuum and electrical.

Tyler B.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Maybe you throttle position sensor is out of whack.
    Last edited by Bashed; Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Put the throttle cable back on incorrectly? The auto choke on the injection system is mistakenly on all the time? Did you check the flux capacitor?

maybe you just hurt the bikes feelings. wash and rub her and show her a good time. that might work. lol good luck
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usmcab35 View Post
    maybe you just hurt the bikes feelings. wash and rub her and show her a good time. that might work. lol good luck
    And that is the $10 dolla answer right there. Whoo hoo! What? Bikes need love too.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by RCStylin' View Post
    Put the throttle cable back on incorrectly? The auto choke on the injection system is mistakenly on all the time? Did you check the flux capacitor?

Never disconnected the throttle cable. The flex capacitor looked fine to The Doc. and me.

Tyler B.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcab35 View Post
    I did tell her I was sorry and in the future I would take better care of her....and nothin'! Maybe I need to buy her some new jewelry...

Tyler B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Maybe you throttle position sensor is out of whack.

I havent checked it, but it seems unlikely that it would break as I messed with the fuel system. But I will check it in case.

Tyler B.

What did you use to clean the tank and filter?

Quote Originally Posted by MattTLS View Post
    What did you use to clean the tank and filter?

I used compressed air and a few shop towels for the tank. For the filter I used my fingers to get the lose stuff off the face, and a few shots of compressed air to blow the stuff further into the the filter, out.

Tyler B.

It's broken?

John

Okay, I doubt there's any trouble there then. What about an intermittent problem with either a tip-over-sensor or sidestand switch as a result of the lowside?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEffinK View Post
    It's broken?

John

Not broke...."temporarily disabled"

Tyler B.

Quote Originally Posted by MattTLS View Post
    Okay, I doubt there's any trouble there then. What about an intermittent problem with either a tip-over-sensor or sidestand switch as a result of the lowside?
    I dont think it would be either of those because I still get spark and fuel. And Im sure that one of those safety switches would disable spark or fuel or both.

Tyler B.

Think simplicity...

The bike ran before you touched the bike for repairs...

After repairs, the bike did not run...

I know you said you double checked the pump. But you should check EVERYTHING again.

*The injectors' pattern is not a mist. It is more like forcefull droplets. But if I look right above the intake valves, there is a nice fuel fog. Also, all the injectors have the exact same pattern
    If it is not a fine spray you have issues. The mist will be there regardless, it is rising from the cylinder after cranking due to heat or simply just cranking. These "forced droplets" are not normal. Dirty injectors/not enough fuel pressure. Use the force

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackel View Post
    Think simplicity...

I know you said you double checked the pump. But you should check EVERYTHING again.

If it is not a fine spray you have issues. The mist will be there regardless, it is rising from the cylinder after cranking due to heat or simply just cranking. These "forced droplets" are not normal. Dirty injectors/not enough fuel pressure. Use the force
    Ok this is more along the lines of what I was thinking. My next step was to take the injectors out, clean them and try again. The reason I do not think it is the fuel pump is because it acts normal. It primps and sounds normal. I would like to say the flow is normal, but not knowing what a normal flow is, I just have to guess that it is good after watching it primp into a bottle. It seems like the flow would be enough to supply the injectors with a good amount of fuel. The only reason I havent taken the injectors out is because it looks like a headache to get those suckers out.

Tyler B.

Re: $10 for the person to figure out the problem--WINNER

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackel View Post
    Think simplicity...

The bike is now running. After taking the tank off and removing and inspecting the fuel pump for at LEAST 5 times, it works. I thought about it all day at work an concluded that it MUST be the pump. All the injectors having the same wrong pattern problem made me think that problem lied further up strem; the pump. Although it looked like the flow was fine, it must have not been. So that is what throw me off my KISS plan.

The_Jackel- Thanks for giving me the "encouragement" to stay on path. (and for reminding me to tap into the power of the force)

I need a place to sent your money Paypal or mailing address will do.

Thanks all,

Tyler B.
    Last edited by colo; Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

sales@jackelmoto.com = Paypal address

Haha! You dont really have to send it, I am just glad I could help.

Hmm bike tech quizes for money? Whos next?

Seriously.. dont send it.
    Last edited by The_Jackel; Wed Sep 24th, 2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: ninja

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

So what was wrong with the fuel pump?!? Come on... don't keep us in suspense like this!
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Board Newbie

Im not sure if you run race fuel but i race in the MRA and last weekend i know of at least 5 guys who had problems with their fuel pump because the race fuel had some pretty large debris in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    So what was wrong with the fuel pump?!? Come on... don't keep us in suspense like this!

You got me. I never found anything wrong with it, I never fixed anything that looked broke. I just took it apart and put it back together a handful of times and it worked again.

Tyler B.

Quote Originally Posted by 615HereICome View Post
    Im not sure if you run race fuel but i race in the MRA and last weekend i know of at least 5 guys who had problems with their fuel pump because the race fuel had some pretty large debris in it.

Yeah I read about that. I didnt use that fuel, but I feel for the guys that did.

Tyler B.