Thread: What should I get as my first Sportbike

Board Newbie

Re: New member introductions here

Hey I was just looking on the site and decided to ask a question. I am really into sportbikes and want to purchase one but I don't know what to get. i am 6'4'' and about 315, (Tall and big not fat and round). i have heard a lot of people close to me saying that I shouldn't get anything smaller than a 900 because with my weight I won't push it very fast. But others say that I should start with a 600 because of inexperience riding skills a 900 or higher would be too power for a begginer. So I decided to see what others think of my situation, you can never have too many opinions. Feedback would be great thanks
    T-Sal

You should get a pocket rocket (Mini Bike) For your first bike. LOL Just kiddin' get something slower like a 600cc
    My personal site: www.myspace.com/eaheer

600 will still do 150mph without any problems. It may have been true in the past, but we have 600's now putting out what 900+ bikes did several years ago so it really doesn't add up anymore. NTM if you look at say GSXR's, they're the same ergonomically so the "I don't fit on the 600" thing doesn't make sense either.

Re: What should I get as my first Sportbike

go to cycleforums as well as beginner bike.com with your size 600 woudlnt be bad but theres some good articles to read. I started on a 250 and dont regreat it for a second its plenty fast for now handles like a dream and doesnt scare me like a 600 would also the 75 mpg is awesome. However i weigh less than half what you do and i have streched it to its speed limits so a ex500, gs500, seca II,, or maybe maybe 600 f4i. I wouldn'tt go with anything like a r6 or 600rr there just to "fiesty" and bite hard if the owner doesnt know wtf there doing

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="154281
    600 will still do 150mph without any problems. It may have been true in the past, but we have 600's now putting out what 900+ bikes did several years ago so it really doesn't add up anymore. NTM if you look at say GSXR's, they're the same ergonomically so the "I don't fit on the 600" thing doesn't make sense either.
    Well put, couldn't say it any better then you did.
    My personal site: www.myspace.com/eaheer

I would look for a Katana 750 and ride it for a year, take a rider safety course. It is not a wicked fast engine but it will get around very adequately, I had a 600 and it actually hauled ass (I am 200+ lbs.), and they are really pretty comfortable. They should be pretty cheap to get a hold of and should retain their value pretty well.

Or you could buy my F4i track bike and learn to ride on a track!

SV650 standard, learn from there. Not a huge powerband to scare you, but will handle the corners as fast as you can handle them...

Kristian

I would look for something that can adjust suspension at both ends easily and forget about ther speed part. With todays bikes they all can pretty much lug around 2 people = 300lbs pretty easy. It is the forks and rear shock that you would want to dial in for having that constant load I would worry about to make sure you had a nice ride an not one that wallowed in every corner trying to make up for the weight.
    When you meet someone new why do they tend to tell you how good or fast they can ride and then wreck shortly afterwards??

Ur 900cc recommending friends are smoking crack and want you to die. Stick with a 600. There are ALOT of folks that can put the hurt on those liter bikes with a 600. Ur tall, so avoid the R6 since that feels puny to me and I'm only 5'7". GSXR-600's have a big feel due to the reach over the gas tank to the bars, last gen anways, not sure about current gen. Dunno about Kaw's but I don't like em really. And not sure how you'd fit on an F4i. Katanas and the like, well I don't think they're a good investment for down the road. You might feel bummed out by it. Folks that own them love em, folks that skip em and go straight for the regular sportbike 600 will say they'd NEVER go to em.

Oh yeah, before you even consider the bike, FIND OUT YOUR INSURANCE RATES!!!!! #1 thing new riders don't do and end up regretting the most and end up riding w/ no insurance.