Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WaMu taken over by FDIC last night...

I could be wrong here, but I think there is some crossed info. The FDIC insures deposits up to $100K per account holder[s]. I think they insure based off the SSN.

Meaning:

If you and your wife have 2 accounts, both accounts in both names [joint], 1 of those accounts are insured while the other is not.

No lets say you and your wife have 1 joint account, and 1 account in just here name then they are ALL insured because your SSN would be the primary on the joint account and hers o the other.

The best way to have joint accounts insured is to have accounts at multiple banks or credit unions.

This is directly from the FDIC's web site:

How much insurance coverage does the FDIC provide?
    The basic insurance amount is $100,000 per depositor, per insured bank.
    The $100,000 amount applies to all depositors of an insured bank except for owners of certain retirement accounts, which are insured up to $250,000 per owner, per insured bank.

Deposits in separate branches of an insured bank are not separately insured. Deposits in one insured bank are insured separately from deposits in another insured bank.

Deposits maintained in different categories of legal ownership at the same bank can be separately insured. Therefore, it is possible to have deposits of more than $100,000 at one insured bank and still be fully insured.
    The following sections describe the eight ownership categories recognized by FDIC regulations and the requirements that must be met to have coverage beyond the basic $100,000 insurance amount.

Read this story, ah bummer.....:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=9021326

This is from money blue book:

How Does FDIC Insurance Keep Our Bank Accounts and Deposit Money Safe?

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is a federal government run entity that provides deposit insurance protection for participating member banks - guaranteeing their deposit accounts from loss. The FDIC system was set up to instill consumer confidence in our nation’s banking system during a time of severe economic recession and financial turmoil. To prevent massive runs on banks triggered by irrational consumer panic to withdraw money during times of crisis, the United States government set up the FDIC to guarantee depositors at insured banks that their money would always be safe, even during the worst of times.

As a general rule of thumb, the current FDIC insured amount per depositor at each bank is $100,000 (with extra exceptions for different ownership categories). This blanket protection insures member bank accounts frombank failure loss, up to the maximum insured amount of $100,000. The FDIC protection covers a variety of bank deposits, including - checking accounts, savings accounts, money market accounts, certificate of deposits (CD’s), and even bank money orders and cashier’s checks.

However, the FDIC protection does not cover non bank deposit type accounts and assets like - stocks, bonds, mutual fund investments, variable or fixed annuities, U.S. Treasury securities, or contents stored in safe deposit boxes. As FDIC insurance only covers bank failure loss, it also does not provide protection against bank fire, fraud, or theft, although in the overwhelming majority of cases, individual banks usually have their own private hazard and casualty insurance coverage against these other types of loss.

The FDIC also provides loss protection for retirement accounts held in member banks in the form of deposits. The FDIC limit for retirement accounts, which includes self directed plans like Roth IRA’s, Traditional IRA’s, SEP’s, and Keogh’s, currently stands at - $250,000. The higher FDIC limit for retirement accounts is a clear recognition by the FDIC of the importance of ensuring that consumers always have their retirement nest eggs to fall back on.
    Last edited by Magnum; Fri Sep 26th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

Re: WaMu taken over by FDIC last night...

I want to know how many people in this club have over $100K in the bank...cause you guys should share!
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I won't be satisfied until I watch video of some Ivy League pencil neck stock broker, with his fat ass banker, jumping out the window of a 60 story high-rise in NYC.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek View Post
    I want to know how many people in this club have over $100K in the bank...cause you guys should share!
    $100K doesn't matter, because if you had 2 accounts at the same bank with $5K each only one account is insured. So if the bank went under you'd loose $5K on the uninsured account.

This is why the OTS has to have a leg up on the situation and should not let banks mingle in shit loans! The OTS lost its handle on it over the last 5-6 years. They were way on top of it in the mid to late 90's.

And I know first hand, because I worked for an S&L at the time and watched the OTS come into our office and boot everyone out, seize files and shut down the wholesale lending operation! They allowed the bank to continue banking operations but they shut down the wholesale channel. These where in the popular 125% days when first plus was buying everything until they went under and there was no one to buy up all the 125's originated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I won't be satisfied until I watch video of some Ivy League pencil neck stock broker, with his fat ass banker, jumping out the window of a 60 story high-rise in NYC.
    And you can start by pushing Jim Cramer out that window.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by mclarke View Post
    O you want us to bank at WF?

AKA We Fee....

They are the biggest bunch of morons in the banking industry. I have never, ever had trouble or lack of service at any of the credit unions I belong to. But WF holds deposits for 7 days, charges you $2.00 to TALK to a banker on the phone..

I closed my account just as fast as I opened it there...
    I'm with you, brother. WF didn't close my checking account, never sent me any statements or other documentation, and we didn't find out until we went to buy our first house that WF had turned us over to collections for "unpaid service fees" that they kept charging us! We got it fixed, but what a PITA.

Also stay far away from US Bank. They also like to charge you for various things, as well as hold checks at random. More than once, they stole my wife's entire paycheck that way! (Bank holds check on Fri, we spend a bit here & there on Sat, bank adds massive overdraft charges on Mon THEN deposits check Tues, only to take all her money).

I will never give US Bank another rotten cent for any reason for as long as I live.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Hard to say which banks are the good ones to park money in anymore. I'm a fan of the distributed method however. Protecting yourself from a single point of failure is good on many levels, not just bank failure. (Fraud, human/computer error, identity theft, etc.)
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

You can have more money in one bank as long as you have no more than 100K in each account and each account is insured with FDIC.

Here is the catch. On each account you need a different POD (payable on death). That person has no account access unless you die but with different names on the accounts each account is insured separately.

Diversification is key. With your banking as well as your credit.

I personally utilize credit unions for 90% of my banking (Not a single credit union, 5 to be exact) as they tend to be protective of their money due to being member owned.

Although I do have a Bank of America account and a Chase account.

No matter our intentions, when we kill the innocent, we become the enemy.