Thread: Daytona 200 to be run Under the Lights on Friday Night ...

Daytona 200 to be run Under the Lights on Friday Night ...

...but wouldn't you rather see it run on SUNDAY like it used be (as late as 1960) but in my ultimate fantasy we'd all be running Super Motards on the BEACH!

Is it really impossible to do that? The mix of sand and street would be perfect for Super Motard. Hell, throw in some jumps/ramps (whatever).

Champ Car type Grand Prix races are held on the downtown streets of MAJOR cities like Denver, for instance, so why not heavily promote "Going Back to the Beach" for the Daytona 200 and run it on a Sunday, sell the idea to the city council, and run a couple of tanks of gas through some KTMs, Ducatis, Aprillias and Yamahas, etc.

As many cities as there are that seem willing to run Grand Prix races past their skylines (or right downtown) I would think this might stand a marginally greater than random chance of actually being allowed to happen for historical purposes.

I know people might object on environmental grounds but what the hell, it's worth a shot. Who would of thought that the Pike's Peak Int. Hill Climb would still be going on after all these years?

You could even run more than one Super Motard displacement class at a time and run it like Formula USA used to could.

It would give the sport (and the AMA) quite a boost, and God only knows what kind of major talent would show up, but in my dream, both International names and former National Champions would race. AMA flat trackers, extreme jump and motocross types as well as road racers like maybe Ben Bostrom and the like would all participate.

Thoughts?

Do you think this would be much better than the ovals with infields approach?

Even if it was only 100 miles?

If you went "Back to the Beach" how would you do it. Would you change anything from the general description above?
    Last edited by DanFZ1; Sat Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.