Thread: The waiting is over...

a specific position or point in physical space

The waiting is over...

Ben Spies signs with Yamaha World Superbike for 2009

American racing sensation Ben Spies has signed up to the Yamaha factory World Superbike Team to partner 23 yr old British rider Tom Sykes for the 2009 season. The 24yr old American rider from Dallas is fresh from a record third championship win in a row, taking the AMA Superbike Championship crown again for 2008. Spies is only the fourth rider in the history of AMA Superbike to win three consecutive titles and 3rd on the all-time AMA Superbike wins list with a total of 28 AMA Superbike wins.

This now completes the Yamaha World Superbike team for 2009.
    Spies has been racing and winning in the AMA Superbike Championship since 2005, and has an unrivalled 90% podium finish rate for racing, the highest for any AMA rider in the history of the championship. He took second place in his rookie year followed by the three successive championship wins. Prior to this he had a three year stint in the AMA Supersport Championship. Spies turned pro in 2000, racing in the AMA Superstock Championship for two years before joining AMA Supersport in 2002.

Spies has also ridden in MotoGP in 2008, starting in place of injured Loris Capirossi at the British GP, finishing 14th place scoring his first MotoGP points. He had a further 2 wildcard outings, achieving 8th at Laguna Seca and an even more impressive 6th at Indianapolis.

“I’m very excited about joining Yamaha in World Superbike,” Spies said. “This is a positive step for the direction of my career. I’ll have a great opportunity to race on many of the top road racing circuits in the world. Riding with a company as passionate about racing as Yamaha is going to put me in a good position to contest for a world championship right from the start.”

“Superbike racing originated in America, but it’s been a while since we’ve had an American world champion. There’s a great tradition of American riders in World Superbike and I hope to put my name alongside great champions like Fred Merkel, Doug Polen, Scott Russell, John Kocinski and Colin Edwards. “

“After considering my offers it became obvious to me that Yamaha would be a great home. Yamaha was excited about the possibility of me joining them and they just made me feel like I was coming into a great family. You look at how Yamaha treats its riders and how, even after their careers are over, they’re always part of the Yamaha family. That was really important to me. I’m looking forward to the challenge at hand and to work with Yamaha to produce a winning team and ultimately a World Superbike Championship.”

Massimo Meregalli (Yamaha’s factory Superbike Team Manager) –
    “We’re really enthusiastic to have signed Ben Spies for the 2009 team. He’s proved to be a very skilful and successful rider in AMA Superbike, he has been one of the riders we have followed closely this year. We are sure he will be a great combination with Tom Sykes, the team are looking forward to starting with them both next year. There will be a lot to learn with new circuits and new bikes but we also have new motivation as a fresh team and will give 200% to help the riders win in 2009. ”

“We’re very excited to have Ben join the team” said Yamaha Motor Europe Racing Division Manager Laurens Klein Koerkamp. “He’s proved to be a top rider with his AMA titles and recent rides in MotoGP, we believe he’s got a long future ahead of him at the highest levels in motorcycle racing.”
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Re: The waiting is over...

Well, good for Ben. Much as I hate to see him not get a good MotoGP ride. And, barring that, hate to see him not get the top ride in WSB on the Suzuki, I wish him the best. I think he faces the world far more talented and prepared than Nicky, and hope he eventually gets the MotoGP ride he deserves. Hell, he comes arguably even better prepared than my personal here Schwantz.

Oh, and f#ck off to Suzuki for totally blowing it and not signing him to the Rizla team in MotoGP, or in WSB. Complete, friggin', idiots.....

I hope he kicks their ass on the Yamaha.

Well, should be an interesting season then, for sure. Corser and Xaus on the Beemah, Mad Max on the Aprilia, and now Spies on the Yamaha. Can't wait.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Well, should be an interesting season then, for sure. Corser and Xaus on the Beemah, Mad Max on the Aprilia, and now Spies on the Yamaha. Can't wait.
    werd!

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    werd!

werd +1

Here's to hoping Spies dominates after his rookie season.

If we're lucky, we won't have to wait that long, but I suppose that would be a bit much to ask.

How good is his team mate.

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Tom Sykes came out of nowhere to take over Chris Walker's spot on Rizla and would have won the WSBK race at Donington if the red flag didn't stop it. He finished second and a top 10 in the next race.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Oh, and f#ck off to Suzuki for totally blowing it and not signing him to the Rizla team in MotoGP, or in WSB. Complete, friggin', idiots.....
    you are assuming the Suzuki teams actually wanted him...
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    you are assuming the Suzuki teams actually wanted him...
    Why wouldn't they? He's going to WSB far better than B. Boz ever was, far better than Colin ever was, and far better than Nick was. not to mention better than Ru$$ell, and Kocinski or perhaps even Schwantz. So, with that kind of talent, and his association with Suzuki and what he's done for them, why wouldn't they want him?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

so much the general public doesnt know about his time with Yosh, winning isnt everything
    It is what it is

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

So, with that kind of talent, and his association with Suzuki and what he's done for them, why wouldn't they want him?
    I can think of several reasons not to hire a guy even if he's "the best". I'm not saying that any or all of them apply to Ben, but really there are a bunch of reasons:

1) Paycheck demand too big
    2) other contract demands too big
    3) Attitude
    4) Fit with team / crew

I've been the hiring manager for positions before, and really HAVE passed on the "most qualified" person for the job because of some of the reasons above. Attitude and fit with the rest of the team are both reasons I've passed on "superstar" candidates.

He seemed to have zero respect for Mladin, that situation could've been handled better-
    young bastard got dusted by ol' Matt at Laguna as a sendoff to WSBK. lol.

-Dedicated to all of those with BIG egos.

so much the general public doesnt know about his time with Yosh, winning isnt everything
    So enlighten us!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I can think of several reasons not to hire a guy even if he's "the best". I'm not saying that any or all of them apply to Ben, but really there are a bunch of reasons:

1) Paycheck demand too big
    2) other contract demands too big
    3) Attitude
    4) Fit with team / crew

I've been the hiring manager for positions before, and really HAVE passed on the "most qualified" person for the job because of some of the reasons above. Attitude and fit with the rest of the team are both reasons I've passed on "superstar" candidates.
    I can understand that, but if anyone has an attitude, it's Mladin. I've also always thought DuHamel a nice guy, but I've heard a few things recently that seriously dispute that.

The probelm with not hiring the "superstar" is that he ends up at your competitors company that DOES hire him....and he patents something that flat smokes the competition. The most brilliant minds always come with some personality quirks. It's easier to get the people to get along (or quit whining) than to manufacture brilliant minds out of mediocre ones. Like it's easier to teach a truly fast rider NOT to crash so often than it is to teach a slow guy who never crashes to be fast. Me, I'd take the "superstar" any day over the worker drone. Those are the guys that make history instead of read about it.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiX View Post
    He seemed to have zero respect for Mladin, that situation could've been handled better-
    young bastard got dusted by ol' Matt at Laguna as a sendoff to WSBK. lol.
    .......and Mladin has respect for?????????

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Me, I'd take the "superstar" any day over the worker drone. Those are the guys that make history instead of read about it.

Sort of...I think we've all seen examples of how a single superstar doesn't make a team (or even takes from the team) and how a team of mediocre "worker drones" can make something big happen.

I think we've also seen how important the "team" is in motorcycle racing in recent years. When Rossi left honda he took his ENTIRE CREW with him. We all read about Jerry Burgess and Rossi, but it's important to understand that he thought his team was so valuable that he made it a condition of his contract that he got to bring all of them with. It played out for Casey as well. If it was just the superstar rider, then he would have been winning on the Honda too.

The rider is one of the most important components to be sure, but it isn't the whole game. Neither is the bike, neither is the crew. It all has to come together at the world level to win.

Now, what I say next is completely honest, not meant as a jab in any way. This is all just an opinion of a guy who knows very little about the "world level" of motorcycle racing. I'm a club racer and know that I have better results on weekends when my "regular" crew comes to help. I watch the races, I see how the teams that seem to work together best do best. What goes on in the transporters after hours is a whole different thing, and something I've never been privy to.

s

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    Sort of...I think we've all seen examples of how a single superstar doesn't make a team (or even takes from the team) and how a team of mediocre "worker drones" can make something big happen.

I think we've also seen how important the "team" is in motorcycle racing in recent years. When Rossi left honda he took his ENTIRE CREW with him. We all read about Jerry Burgess and Rossi, but it's important to understand that he thought his team was so valuable that he made it a condition of his contract that he got to bring all of them with. It played out for Casey as well. If it was just the superstar rider, then he would have been winning on the Honda too.

The rider is one of the most important components to be sure, but it isn't the whole game. Neither is the bike, neither is the crew. It all has to come together at the world level to win.

Now, what I say next is completely honest, not meant as a jab in any way. This is all just an opinion of a guy who knows very little about the "world level" of motorcycle racing. I'm a club racer and know that I have better results on weekends when my "regular" crew comes to help. I watch the races, I see how the teams that seem to work together best do best. What goes on in the transporters after hours is a whole different thing, and something I've never been privy to.

s
    Very True. In addition to Rossi bringing Burgess (Doohan's old Crew Chief), an excellent example is Michael Schumacher, who basically brought his whole team from Benetton and brought the disorganized Ferrari team to glory. But.....it's still the "superstar" that brings the people together. That the team rallies around. A true leader can switch teams, and in the industrial world, companies, and get people to follow entheusiastically.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

So enlighten us!
    not a chance in hell
    It is what it is

.......and Mladin has respect for?????????

his crew for a start
    It is what it is

not a chance in hell
    Awww, you gonna be a stash and not share?

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I hope he kicks their ass on the Yamaha.

Even Carl Fogerty got left up in the air by Ducati every single time when it came down to contract negotiations. The musical chairs B.S. didn't go away until after he had won his 4th Championship in WSB. Most of the riders have to play musical chairs. Mick Doohan and Rossi would be exceptions to the rule. So the riders who are good enough try to pressure the team they are on to committing to something solid by letting rumours get around that they are engaged in serious discussions with other teams.

You can't blame the riders for trying, but the teams/Factories seem to always have them over a barrel.

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.