Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long-term/Winter Storage tips

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Re: Long-term/Winter Storage tips

Oil becomes acidic sitting in your motor.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

Old Thread,

But............

Another reason the stands are good is to keep the carbs from laying sideways sorta, especially if you got gas in them still.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

I keep mine in tip-top shape over the winter by riding them...

Scott should have some ice-racing track days to let everyone get their fix during the winter months

We were talking about this at dinner last night. There are enough nice days over the winter to ride, so I've never really put my bike away save the first year that I started riding. I just keep up maintenance and plug in the battery tender. I check the tire pressure perhaps more religiously, since cold will decrease pressure.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Revised from the dead:

But, this is a reminder that we will finally hit below freezing temps this week. So, take care of your bike if you leave it outside
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    Revised from the dead:

But, this is a reminder that we will finally hit below freezing temps this week. So, take care of your bike if you leave it outside
    ....especially if you still have "water wetter" in it instead of anti-freeze from the last trackday.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Board Newbie

Yeah... As great as water wetter is, it still freezes! I use Engine Ice. A little pricey, but I only use it to store my moto for the winter... then switch back to WW come springtime.

I use Silkolene Pro Cool…..just as good as EI and cheaper. Also run some Stabil this time of year and keep the tank on the FZR full.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Guess I should drain the track bike this weekend.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Guess I should drain the track bike this weekend.

after talking with some peeps, I filled mine up with antifreeze rather than just draining it. should help keep the seals and such in good shape til next season

I was reading on TT about flushing your cooling system with a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. Run til warm, then drain and fill with your coolant of choice. The acid in the vinegar does a good job of cleaning but will not harm seals.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    after talking with some peeps, I filled mine up with antifreeze rather than just draining it. should help keep the seals and such in good shape til next season
    Hmm... maybe that's why it puked last time. Ok, here's the situation: unheated garage, attached to condo, only the garage door is exposed to weather (other garages either side, upstairs floor above). So far it seems to stay above freezing.

Think I should just add WW again? Or do anti-freeze? maybe just a space heater?
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Hey Jeff, I picked up that propane heater that BK was recommending. So far it rocks, but I haven’t used it enough to fully evaluate. I’ll update the Garage Heater thread soon.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Well, any heater will have to be electric, no air circulation once the garage door is closed, and there is one connecting door into the unit. The other way is a 100W lightbulb in a worklamp wired to a timer for those cold January nights.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I’m not venting it or the garage, but def not the kind of heater to use to keep the garage warm 24x7. It puts out 50k BTU on low and I haven’t needed it on for more than 25 minutes to get the garage warm. I’ve been using a CO detector and it has not gone off, nor have I noticed any effects while working in there. Best use for this heater is for short periods to warm up the garage so you can work. I’ve only used it twice tho, but very pleased with it so far.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Sorry NOOB question, but the point of adding antifreeze verse just draining the coolant for a track bike that will not be run over the winter is to keep the seals in better shape? I just hate having to put antifreeze in just to drain it in the spring to put WW back in.

Yes I believe that is the case, dry seals shrink and don't work as well until they expand again. I *think* that was the initial reason my bike puked coolant the first time out after last winter.

If where you store it is never below freezing for extended periods, ie more than a few hours. Theoretically you could keep plain water in the system all through the winter. People come up with elaborate heaters and blankets and ideas to not have to drain the bike.
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

I had a dead battery on my bike when I first bought it (bait and switch by the seller). I didn't even contemplate jumping it with the car. It was easy to leave my house as my driveway is a steep down hill. Once out I just had random strangers give me a push and dumped the clutch.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Push-Start-a-Motorcycle

problem is a lot of bikes sill have shitty weak charging systems. The RR's and stators are not adequate and relying on the bike to charge a dead battery is inviting trouble. It happens from time to time and you deal with it but should be avoided whenever possible.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Battery Tender FTW!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by mdlb View Post
    Sorry NOOB question, but the point of adding antifreeze verse just draining the coolant for a track bike that will not be run over the winter is to keep the seals in better shape? I just hate having to put antifreeze in just to drain it in the spring to put WW back in.
    I wouldn't just drain, there is a possibility that a passage or pocket in the system doesn't empty when drained and that area could freeze and still cause a problem cracking something. Antifreeze circulated through is cheap insurance.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Just keep riding the damn things.
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Yes I believe that is the case, dry seals shrink and don't work as well until they expand again. I *think* that was the initial reason my bike puked coolant the first time out after last winter.

If where you store it is never below freezing for extended periods, ie more than a few hours. Theoretically you could keep plain water in the system all through the winter. People come up with elaborate heaters and blankets and ideas to not have to drain the bike.
    The main reason I'd think, is that you can NEVER get the last little bit of water out, and all it takes is a little to crack your block. As for the heaters and blankets.....all it takes is a power outage of any sort, or, worse yet, a garage fire from a bad heater, to ruin your day. Best to be safe and run a minimum of 50% anti-freeze in it. Why chance it?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Of those of you that ride all winter, how long do you wait after the roads are 'clear' before getting back out? The reason for the question is the amount of sand and checmicals that get thrown up on the chain, plastics and rubber seals between said plastics and in the chain. I am just curious as to the effects of "ice melt" from CDOT on your bikes.
    Q: Why do you insist on wearing all that leather?
    A: I'd rather sweat than bleed!

shawn..415.624.7768