Thread: Windows XP disc

Windows XP disc

So my computer is acting up like crazy and in order to fix it I need a Windows XP disc to repair whatever is wrong. However, my disc is somewhere at home and trying to get my mom in Maryland to find it would take forever. Therefore I'm asking if anyone in the Fort Collins/Loveland area has a disc I could borrow for a day or two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Re: Windows XP disc

lemme check if i can find mine.. you just have XP pro or wht?
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

I can give you one....you just need to have your own key...Pro? Home? Media Center?
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

He only needs his own key if he is re-installing windows. You can use any xp disc even a dell recovery disc if it's just missing a start up file or another type of missing/corrupt file. Or just reload it and call microsoft to activate it for free ha

2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by Kappa03 View Post
    He only needs his own key if he is re-installing windows. You can use any xp disc even a dell recovery disc if it's just missing a start up file or another type of missing/corrupt file. Or just reload it and call microsoft to activate it for free ha
    Umm I am not talking booting the disc and using the first "r" repair option in the recovery console....I am talking a full repair which at the full GUI stage will ask for your key to complete the repair....

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    Umm I am not talking booting the disc and using the first "r" repair option in the recovery console....I am talking a full repair which at the full GUI stage will ask for your key to complete the repair....
    I've been talking to some people and I'm pretty sure I won't need a key if it's just to repair some corrupt files. And I've got XP pro.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Lol all you have to do is replace a file, to do that it's not even close to the step of formatting or repairing. And a full "repair" is just a restore and yes you will need a product key unless like I said do it over the phone which it will give you the option to do so as well.

And as he just stated its only to repair/replace corrupted files. In the windows xp recovery console you can do that, not having to have a product key.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I am always surprised how agreeable Microsoft is, to giving me activation codes for new XP builds. My XP-Pro install key hit its limit about 9 installs ago, and yet a quick call to MS, and they're reading me a new activation code 2 minutes later.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Haha, so I can borrow a disc then?
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

So I tried doing a repair once my system recognized I already had XP installed... almost done with the install and now it's asking for a CD key. Any suggestions?
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I don't think the product key has anything to do with the CD-ROM. Mine are on stickers on the back of my computers - I think they are about 25 characters long.

If you built the computer yourself the sticker should have come with your original XP install disks, with instructions to paste it on the back of the PC. If you bought it prebuilt then the manufacturer/builder should have stuck it on the back.
    Last edited by skortch; Tue Nov 4th, 2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: grammar...
    03 SV1000S
    97 DR650

Usually it doesn't ask for a product key if you just do a repair. Did you do a full restore? And like Skortch said, try the sticker on the back or side of the computer. If not click on "activate over phone" I think it's called, and you can just tell microsoft your computer was restored and needs a key, they'll give you one.

I hate quoting myself.....

Anywho if you get completely stuck I can help you out if you bring me the tower.....

CDs have nothing to do with keys, mostly, some different version of XP discs like OEM, HOME, PRO, VLK.....but most Vista discs have all the version on a disc and your key unlocks the proper version.....back in the day of NT you could hack server out of client....