Thread: Japan MotoGP - Rossi/Stoner Style Question

Japan MotoGP - Rossi/Stoner Style Question

I know this is coming a little old, but I just remembered it while watching some highlights today...

In entering one of the corners, Rossi and Stoner both would let their left leg hang way out off the bike. The announcer said it was so they could "properly align the bike" for entry into the corner. My question is... how does this assit in getting the bike setup for the corner... and why were Rossi and Stoner so more exaggerated in their body positioning than anyone else?

See 1:48 mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYi7m...eature=related

???

Re: Japan MotoGP - Rossi/Stoner Style Question

Pre-race interview with Rossi, Dutch broadcast of Assen:

Q: You've ridden a lot of bikes: 125, 250, 500, 990, 800. Which one was the most fun to ride?
    A: I think the 500 was the most fun to ride because the power was wild, the bike was light and not electronic system. So I think 500 was the most impressive.

Q: Do you see yourself ever getting married and living with kids in the Tuscan hills, or do you want to stay in the motorcycle business forever?
    A: No, I want to stay in the motorcycle not business... on the motorcycle track. To ride as more as possible. And after I will start to think about the family, but I'm not ready yet.
    Q: 2 kids, 3 kids, 4 kids, 5 kids?
    A: I think 1 is already enough!

Q: If you had the chance to get your own racing team, which two riders would you pick from the past, or now, or the future, whatever.
    A: Ah ok, so not me... Kevin Schwantz and Waine Rainey.
    Q: Why?
    A: Because with Schwantz we have fun and a lot of brave, and with Rainey we have more constant and more points.

Q: This question was the most send in question of all. You have a lot of rituals before the race. But you also grab your ass and your crotch when you leave the pit lane. Is there something wrong with your underpants?
    A: Yes, yes it's true! But maybe I had something wrong with my underpants in the past, you know? Now I think my underpants are ok, but is more something from.. uhh... nervous.

Q: You've been without a world champion title in the last two years, have you ever given up hope?
    A: No, never giving up hope. Also, if I pass through a difficult period especially last year, also after 2006 where I lost at the last race... I never give up hope. I always think that we have the potential to come back on the crown.

Q: During the races we always see you lift your left leg, and most of the time with left corners, why is that?
    A: So is nothing I decide... when I arrive to deep in braking... without thinking I take out the foot, the left foot. But I don't know why. Seriously! My impression is that I am able to stop the bike better, but I don't know if it's true.

Q: From Casey Stoner (he asked in Barcelona): How do you come up with fantastic helmets, special deliveries, and post race celebrations?
    A: It is like my hobby, you know. When I have free time at home, I like to think of the special helmet, or some special celebration. In general it is to have some fun, to make something different. For the helmet, the delivery and the celebration I have more famous, I mean I have have more fans and I continue. But it's like a hobby. Also I have Aldo Drudi, the designer of the helmet that work already with Graziano... that eh, we are close friends so me each other like in Mugello, and after hour and hour we have some stupid idea like the face.
    Q: Was that your best helmet ever?
    A: I think so, one of the best.

Q: And now, what is your quesiont for Nicky?
    A: What he think... in Valencia 2006... when the first time he see in his board Rossi out?
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I have also seen Troy Bayless do the same and have wondered the same thing. This should be interesting
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

dam DAWG you fast
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

I had also heard that it helps the riders with balance coming fast into those corners. If you watch alot of the other riders to it as well, maybe just not as pronounced. I've noticed alot of the 250cc guys do it.

Or maybe Rossi just thinks dragging his foot gives him that much more braking power HAHA!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    I know this is coming a little old, but I just remembered it while watching some highlights today...

In entering one of the corners, Rossi and Stoner both would let their left leg hang way out off the bike. The announcer said it was so they could "properly align the bike" for entry into the corner. My question is... how does this assit in getting the bike setup for the corner... and why were Rossi and Stoner so more exaggerated in their body positioning than anyone else?

See 1:48 mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYi7m...eature=related

???
    Roadracing World addressed this question a few months back. They said after the rider finishes with downshifts they move their foot to the left and away from under the shift lever and back onto the peg. Bike deceleration causes the foot to swing out a bit.

I did it a few times actually. but only a feeble attempt to stop cramping from PPIR. from turn 7 to turn three I was in pain. after doing my downshifts into turn three i would hang my left leg to make the pain go away for a brief moment.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

My humble guess is...

A rider takes his leg off for balance because it distributes mass away from the bike's pivot point and moves the center of mass outward. That, in turn, provides additional cornering stability by lowering the center of mass.

...and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I've heard a couple reasons over the past year:
    1. Riders kick thier foot out to "reset" it on the pegs before entering the corner.
    2. To transfer weight forward on the bike while braking hard
    3. Depending on the riders background (dirt track or speedway) its a balance technique
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Another possible answer:

The Pendulum Effect. Also, it increases air braking and drag which induces a pivot point by differences in air pressure between the front and back of the leg (just like when you hang your hand out the window of a car). You can do it on a bike, skateboard, skis, or even dancing. It is another way of preloading the bike into the turn. And a great chance to stretch, too!
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I personally think it is an unconcious fear response to pushing hard and coming into the corner hot - kind of preparing for the worst. You dont really see their upper body tense or their arms stiffin up - I think that energy has to go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
    I personally think it is an unconcious fear response to pushing hard and coming into the corner hot - kind of preparing for the worst. You dont really see their upper body tense or their arms stiffin up - I think that energy has to go somewhere.
    By design, our body is a sympathetic system. Therefore, I don't think that your response holds water.

huh?

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

To better articulate... give me an example of when your body was in "fear response" mode but only part of your body reacted? When you're in fear of something, your entire body reacts.

Moments before impact in a car crash a "fear response" is generated. Your entire body tenses up, not just your legs, as suggested above.

JUST DANGLE YOUR LEG, IT'LL MAKE YOU FASTER!
    Last edited by Cars-R-Coffins; Tue Oct 21st, 2008 at 02:09 AM.

RedFlash asked this in Road RacerX (maybe it was Jeff) a few months back and had it published... answer was it was just Rossi's style
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522