Thread: Wheelie Machine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wheelie Machine

someone else already has the patent. good luck getting any traction on it sitting on the tank. wheelie machines were made for people who don't know how to ride motorcycles as an attraction, no matter what it will never have the same response as when it's not on the machine, so you won't gain anything in muscle memory which is 90% of the skill you need to stunt ride.

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    Well that's awful nice of you to say. Lemme guess, you're a "real" STUNNA and have taken too many falls on your head?

Haters aside, I think it looks sweet! If you get it to where you can put a bike on it quickly, start bringing it to bike nights, you could probably charge for a few minutes on the thing. It may not be like riding a "real" wheelie but props for seeing it through, it looks like fun.
    Well, first of all it wasn't hating. It's constructive criticism from personal experience. Yes, I'm a "real" stunt rider. No, I've never taken any falls to my head and I rarely even drop my bike. Yes, it would be a good attraction for bike nights, but it's not a useful training tool. There almost always needs to be someone to help the bike up because of the lack of traction.
    Last edited by HR636; Mon Oct 27th, 2008 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HR636 View Post
    Well, first of all it wasn't hating. It's constructive criticism from personal experience. Yes, I'm a "real" stunt rider. No, I've never taken any falls to my head and I rarely even drop my bike. Yes, it would be a good attraction for bike nights, but it's not a useful training tool. There almost always needs to be someone to help the bike up because of the lack of traction.
    It didn't read that way. Anyway, maybe he could devise a system in the supports that would pull the axle down onto the rollers...
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

It didn't read that way. Anyway, maybe he could devise a system in the supports that would pull the axle down onto the rollers...
    What is the point? Does this machine teach side to side balance or correct posture or throttle response? No. It's an attraction not a training device.

What's the point of you asking a question then answering it?

There isn't one, looks like fun, why bash it?
    Do you have a point beyond bickering with someone who knows what it takes to ride a wheelie?

It does look like it'd be fun, just won't be very good for real world practice is all. I'm sure there will be a lot of people lined up to try it.

[quote=PROFLYER;373186]Do you usually jump into things that don't concern you? Perhaps it's a reading comprehension issue.

I wasn't questioning his skills, I was questioning his negativity toward an apparatus that looks like a good time, it looks like the guy has put some hard work into it and I can appreciate hard work. And for the record, I can ride a wheelie.[/quote]

He didnt say anything about you not being able to ride a "wheelie"

So when your bike is all mounted up on the machine you can move the axle down 3"? Just tryin to figure out how that would work cause i would think that you could only put a downward pressure on it only so much. Maybe if you took all the tire pressure out so its allmost flat then bolting it down then airing it back up again so there alot of pressure between the rear tire and rollers? Yes no? i dunoo......
    Last edited by Kole.S; Tue Oct 28th, 2008 at 11:32 AM.

Do you usually jump into things that don't concern you? Perhaps it's a reading comprehension issue.
    Public forum moron, Do you usually come on a forum and make an ass of yourself within 10 posts?
    Rhetorical, no need to respond.

Check your PM. Tenure carries no weight, flex your e-penis all you want, punk.

and Pixel, thing looks way sweet, if Chad is gonna paint it I wanna come see it.
    Pretty fuckin ironic you talk about e-thugin'
    Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER
    Call me a moron again and I'll come visit your punk ass at your failing epic motorsports. The first guy was being an ass, this guy worked hard on his machine and a few dumb fuck "stunnas" crawl all over him for it.

You can flex your e-penis all you want online, but I'm local.
    Grow the fuck up

Quote Originally Posted by Moveman View Post
    So I know the machine will not help side to side balance or posture but do you think if brakes or something were added to the rollers this thng could ever be used to help learn throttle response or is there no hope and it will be nothing but a attraction?
    thats why he added the weights to the rollers, this will give drag equal to the weight of the bike so that its like the bike is free on the road and you will have to control throttle the same as if you were really riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

I know what "for the record" means but it was still retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by HR636 View Post
    There almost always needs to be someone to help the bike up because of the lack of traction.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner! lol.

So here was my day.

Ok, so loading the bike to the trailer is easy breezy, but definitely a 2 person job. From the there, I got the bike on the springboard / ramp, and jacked the ramp up into position. Worked nice since the ramp becomes elevated once the shocks are in place, it helped the bike get onto the dyno nice and easy. 1 person lifts, the other aligns the bricks, and slid into position like a bolt action rifle.

Did some fine tuning adjustments to make sure I was level, and slipped the quick release pins with the downward adjuster set screw in place. This turned out to be a very convenient and easy thing to do. Adjusted the downward pressure on the tire, and locked it in place with the 3/4" bolt from below.

Got the bike powered up, and took the machine to my limiter in 6th... 130mph after various tugs and brake checks. Noticed as I was accelerating hard that I was getting some slipping.

After going over a few more things on the bike like tightening the preload and compression damping on the rear, took the bike out to where I could be loud and uninterupted and gave it some tugs.

Here's what I found out.

Even after the tire was all warm and gummy, If I throttled up hard, or slipped the clutch, I'd get very little lift, and tons of tire spin. So shut it down, and adjusted for even more down pressure on the tire. Still no dice.

The rear drum spun up fine, but the front drum connected to the pully / fly wheel was having a hard time getting up to speed. So, decided to experiment, and took off the cover, and unhooked the pully belts from the fly wheel. Tested it again. This time the tire was able to stay hooked up, but had too little mass to lift the front more than a couple of inches at WOT.

So, reconnected the fly wheel, increased the down force on the tire, and tightened the belts more that I had initially. Got no slipping from the pully, but still didn't have enough traction on the drum. But by tightening the pully, and increasing the down pressure on the tire, was able to get it to come up about 2 or so feet slipping the clutch to WOT.

So, not the news I wanted to give every one lol. But it's where I'm at. As far as the rest of my design, and mechanical bits... the system is sick. Super strong, and I have very few wants.

I'll be calling my machinist tomorrow, and see if he's able to do the metal spit coat (looks like 60 grit sand paper) on the roller. If he can't I'll keep shopping around, as I think this is going to be the best solution.

The dyno as it is now, has some vertical lines across the drum, and all in all is really smooth. No finish to speak of.

If I run into a hitch trying to get the drum coated with something that works like sand paper, but metal and more durable... I'll see if my machinist can put some horizontal etching on the drum and get me some traction.

Well, I could go on for ages about all this.. but this is where I'm at. Would have loved if it worked flawless on the first try, but I'm not going to let a little thing like a wheelie machine not being able to do wheelies get me down. lol.

Here's a couple pics of the current progress.

- Pixel -

The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

See.... 929. Lookin good. I was going to say something about getting some kind of grip tape for the roller, but I figured you had it covered.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli