Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelie Machine

Re: Wheelie Machine

i was just about to say that you could add weight or drag to the rollers so that the job of getting the bike up and keeping it up would be closer to the real thing, but i see you have already thought of that and taken care of it. it seems to m you have this thing thought out well and executed just as well. I would love to try the thing out at some point in the future. nice work man.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

[quote=PROFLYER;373186]Do you usually jump into things that don't concern you? Perhaps it's a reading comprehension issue.

I wasn't questioning his skills, I was questioning his negativity toward an apparatus that looks like a good time, it looks like the guy has put some hard work into it and I can appreciate hard work. And for the record, I can ride a wheelie.[/quote]

He didnt say anything about you not being able to ride a "wheelie"

So when your bike is all mounted up on the machine you can move the axle down 3"? Just tryin to figure out how that would work cause i would think that you could only put a downward pressure on it only so much. Maybe if you took all the tire pressure out so its allmost flat then bolting it down then airing it back up again so there alot of pressure between the rear tire and rollers? Yes no? i dunoo......
    Last edited by Kole.S; Tue Oct 28th, 2008 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moveman View Post
    So I know the machine will not help side to side balance or posture but do you think if brakes or something were added to the rollers this thng could ever be used to help learn throttle response or is there no hope and it will be nothing but a attraction?
    thats why he added the weights to the rollers, this will give drag equal to the weight of the bike so that its like the bike is free on the road and you will have to control throttle the same as if you were really riding.
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

I know what "for the record" means but it was still retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    Do you usually jump into things that don't concern you? Perhaps it's a reading comprehension issue.
    Public forum moron, Do you usually come on a forum and make an ass of yourself within 10 posts?
    Rhetorical, no need to respond.

Ok. ALMOST DONE!

Got the ramp bolted on. Added grip tape to it. Looks pretty nice. Got the suspension for the ramp / springboard bolted in place. Only destroyed 2 drill bits =P

The ramp is nice though, since it doubles as a loading ramp, and a way to keep the landing of wheelies light on the bike's suspension.

Took the side plates of the dyno off, and got the drums aligned so that they both make contact with the tire at the same time across the entire distance of the drums. Thing is dead center to probably a 32nd. Pulled off the main plate that houses the flywheel / eddie current brake. Got the belts adjusted for good tension and no slipping.

Gave the machine a good sweep, and the once over with simple green. Every bolt is in place... but the sun was about to set and still had to get the axle mounted to my bike, so ran out of time today.

I still need to decide how I'm doing the safety cable system to it. Definitely want to go through the frame of the trailer on the bottom... But need to figure out the best way to do the system while keeping the line short, and making sure it can't hit anything that will damage it... ie binding up on the ramp or hitting the mid pipes etc. I'll try to figure out a way that I can keep the system short, like by attaching it to the cage rather than the front tire.

So, if I can get that sorted out, I'll be able to test it tomorrow.

Got some pics of the axle on my bike as well, with the custom sliders I had made to protect the axle when I'm crashing in the lots.

Got physical therapy tomorrow at 2:00... so not sure if I'll test it before or after that. Maybe just keep myself in suspense and go get coffee in the morning and just think about doing wheelies lol. Ahh. crap. ok, will probably be doing the safety cable system and coffee. Good combo.

Anyways. My MySpace page will be updated in a few here... in the mean time, here's a few pics of the internals of the dyno, and the kind of overall look as it sits now.

Hey, anyone want to paint it for me?!

=P

- Pixel -

Last edited by pixel 6; Tue Oct 28th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

what were you thinking as far as paint. I own a painting company and have all kind of sprayers
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Ooh wow cool. Lol. I have no idea. All I know is that getting the ramp and assembly off of the dyno from here on out would be a huge pain in the ass. There's like no space to work with on getting the bolts on between the drum rollers, and the chassis wall.

Think you could work around that?

I guess i was thinking black, white, or yellow for the colors somehow. Something to compliment the look of my bike. I kinda planned on using grip tape on the top of the exposed dyno parts that house the internals... so like the 2 side plates, and the top of the dyno... but partially, I was doing that because it's cheap... and so am I lol. (not really)

So yeah, what do you think would make it pop? Trailer is a drab grey and black... gotta figure out something for that eventually too.

- Pixel -

lets get together here soon and figure something out. Buy the materials and we can work out a trade or something along those line. I'll send you a pm

you may want to do something like bedliner on the ramp as the paint can get slippery.......especially as it may double as a ramp. also anywhere people may be walking, you dont want to get sued cause some jackass slips and gets an owie.
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Check your PM. Tenure carries no weight, flex your e-penis all you want, punk.

and Pixel, thing looks way sweet, if Chad is gonna paint it I wanna come see it.
    Pretty fuckin ironic you talk about e-thugin'
    Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER
    Call me a moron again and I'll come visit your punk ass at your failing epic motorsports. The first guy was being an ass, this guy worked hard on his machine and a few dumb fuck "stunnas" crawl all over him for it.

You can flex your e-penis all you want online, but I'm local.
    Grow the fuck up

whats a stunna

Coming from a guy who acts 12....but was born in 1959 ...I bet you got a 5 year plan too...not die?

Shut the fuck up. I'm sure everyone would love to kick your ass now. I hope you don't threaten to come to my work and beat me up because I'm unemployed so it wouldn't very easy to find me.

I'm un-threadjacking this thread, if you've got a problem with me, PM me and we'll set something up, I think your attitude will change in person, or I'll help adjust it, either way, it wouldn't be the first time.
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

lol its the internet stop being a idiot who gives a mooses last shit what anyone says on here

I'm un-threadjacking this thread, if you've got a problem with me, PM me and we'll set something up, I think your attitude will change in person, or I'll help adjust it, either way, it wouldn't be the first time.

You can't control everything. You're not God. Who cares if you think you can unhijack a thread. You're the dumbass who hijacked in the first place. You need the attitude adjustment bud. This is an A-B conversation so C your way out of it before D jumps over E and F's you up.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

So do I get to see some God Damn wheelies now?

Very nicely done, I want to see this in action!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER
    Tough guy behind a computer screen, how about you come down to my gym, anytime, you name it, and we'll see who's tapping out or passing out.

What's beyond me is why would you insist on shitting on a dudes hard work? Is it because you're a broke ass punk without a job? Your mother not love you? Your daddy fuck you too much? Help me understand why you'd be such a bitch. I know it's online yada yada but I'm a member here because I'd like to get to know the other members and RIDE with them. So, assuming you'll see the thing in action one day, wouldn't it make more sense to either shut the fuck up or maybe use your knowledge and help him make it better?

I'm sure that's way over your head, but again, I'm just curious.
    D-D-D-D-DOUCHEBAG ALERT

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixel 6 View Post

Kinda looks like a 929. Can't wait to see this thing finished.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

This thread is way better then the highplains thread!

What is the purpose of two brake calipers on the rear wheel?
    Is one for a bar mounted hand control?
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Looks like it's definately got potential & is something new enough that most haven't seen it before! Is there some kind of cable attached to keep some from being a little over-aggressive & going farther back than the balance point?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

there should definitely be some sort of a leash to keep the bike from going over.

Quote Originally Posted by HR636 View Post
    There almost always needs to be someone to help the bike up because of the lack of traction.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner! lol.

So here was my day.

Ok, so loading the bike to the trailer is easy breezy, but definitely a 2 person job. From the there, I got the bike on the springboard / ramp, and jacked the ramp up into position. Worked nice since the ramp becomes elevated once the shocks are in place, it helped the bike get onto the dyno nice and easy. 1 person lifts, the other aligns the bricks, and slid into position like a bolt action rifle.

Did some fine tuning adjustments to make sure I was level, and slipped the quick release pins with the downward adjuster set screw in place. This turned out to be a very convenient and easy thing to do. Adjusted the downward pressure on the tire, and locked it in place with the 3/4" bolt from below.

Got the bike powered up, and took the machine to my limiter in 6th... 130mph after various tugs and brake checks. Noticed as I was accelerating hard that I was getting some slipping.

After going over a few more things on the bike like tightening the preload and compression damping on the rear, took the bike out to where I could be loud and uninterupted and gave it some tugs.

Here's what I found out.

Even after the tire was all warm and gummy, If I throttled up hard, or slipped the clutch, I'd get very little lift, and tons of tire spin. So shut it down, and adjusted for even more down pressure on the tire. Still no dice.

The rear drum spun up fine, but the front drum connected to the pully / fly wheel was having a hard time getting up to speed. So, decided to experiment, and took off the cover, and unhooked the pully belts from the fly wheel. Tested it again. This time the tire was able to stay hooked up, but had too little mass to lift the front more than a couple of inches at WOT.

So, reconnected the fly wheel, increased the down force on the tire, and tightened the belts more that I had initially. Got no slipping from the pully, but still didn't have enough traction on the drum. But by tightening the pully, and increasing the down pressure on the tire, was able to get it to come up about 2 or so feet slipping the clutch to WOT.

So, not the news I wanted to give every one lol. But it's where I'm at. As far as the rest of my design, and mechanical bits... the system is sick. Super strong, and I have very few wants.

I'll be calling my machinist tomorrow, and see if he's able to do the metal spit coat (looks like 60 grit sand paper) on the roller. If he can't I'll keep shopping around, as I think this is going to be the best solution.

The dyno as it is now, has some vertical lines across the drum, and all in all is really smooth. No finish to speak of.

If I run into a hitch trying to get the drum coated with something that works like sand paper, but metal and more durable... I'll see if my machinist can put some horizontal etching on the drum and get me some traction.

Well, I could go on for ages about all this.. but this is where I'm at. Would have loved if it worked flawless on the first try, but I'm not going to let a little thing like a wheelie machine not being able to do wheelies get me down. lol.

Here's a couple pics of the current progress.

- Pixel -