Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wheelie Machine

Re: Wheelie Machine

you would be a genius if you got it to work the 1st time. Tweak here tweak there and you'll get.
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

See.... 929. Lookin good. I was going to say something about getting some kind of grip tape for the roller, but I figured you had it covered.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

No no... there's two 0's in Goose. lol.

Yeah, did a bunch of research and calling today to a bunch of dyno manufacturers... So after arming myself with info, went back to my machinist today and took a look at some diamond knurling samples. Found one that looks like it'd work just fine... nice and pointy. I'm pulling off the drum and taking it to him tomorrow morning, and he's going to rush the job and get it done for my by tomorrow evening. So let's see. today's what? Thursday? So put it back together on Friday, and go test it again on Saturday.

Wish me luck!

- Pixel -

"Some meter maid tried to give me a ticket today for parking on a sidewalk... I told her it was a 50cc bored out to a 929"

lol

- Pixel -
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    This thread is way better then the highplains thread!

What is the purpose of two brake calipers on the rear wheel?
    Is one for a bar mounted hand control?
    mike
    Yeah, the most common setup is the FullThrottleInc adapter. So reservoir is mounted on the bars with the HB... then the like goes to your rear brake into the adapter... then back out of the rear brake master to the stock caliper.

Mine setup is the HoHey designs bracket... so my hand brake has it's own reservoir, and goes to the furthest caliper... and my normal rear brake has it's own reservoir, and independent caliper as well.

Both work good if you bleed the system right.

But mine's the pricy route to go.

- Pixel -

Voila!

- Pixel -

bad arse
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

Gold Member

what about wraping the drums with grip tape??

Oops. Double post...
    Last edited by pixel 6; Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:04 PM.

Take it in...

=)

Wheelies... but needs some tweaking to feel right. Tire hooks up good now, but the fly wheel makes a 1st gear clutch up feels closer to a 3rd gear clutch up. But I have some ideas on how to make adjustments.

I''ll post some more info, and more questions in a bit.

- Pixel -

Last edited by pixel 6; Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 at 08:05 PM.

NICE!!!!!
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

test rides????

I wanta try...
    When in doubt...Pull it out.

Ok, here's where the project is at.

Test 1: Couldn't get traction, so did diamond knurling and increased the down pressure.

Test 2: Got traction, but the fly wheel pulleys were giving the drums a 1 to 1.3 ratio. That ratio made the fly wheel spin faster than the drum, making the wheelies feel wrong on launch, and engine braking. Also had to use way too much throttle to both launch it, and keep it at BP.

Test 3: Today. Got a new fly wheel put on the system, at a 1 to 1 ratio. So now the wheelie feels right when it's at BP. However, I now have a problem with too little rotating mass. The acceleration on the launch feels too light. But I have no problem spinning up the mass I'm moving.

Based on the weight of steel, and plugging in some numbers, The drums each weigh about 75 lbs. So a 150 lbs combined there. The fly wheel also weighs about 150 lbs. So the mass I'm currently moving is 300 lbs give or take.
    The number I'm looking for, is the weight of the bike plus rider... so figure 450 + 150 on the low side... 600 lbs. I'm a little over 200 lbs... so my target number would be more like 650 or so.
    So I'm now 350 lbs too shy on my rotating mass.

So my possible solutions, are

1: Add the fly wheel from my other dyno to the fly wheel on the existing one. Brings me to 450 lbs, so still 200 lbs shy. Would be fairly easy to do though, so might give this one a test.

2: See if the eddie current brake will work with only one side of the dyno plugged in. If I get lucky here, I can use the eddie current brake to resist the 300 lbs I'm moving, and make it feel like 650 or whatever.
    Only reason I don't like this one, is the system starts to become computer controlled, rather than a mechanical system, which I'd prefer.

3: Plugging in the math, a 28" drum, 8.5" thick, would weigh 460 lbs. Then add the other drum at 75 lbs... and fly wheel at 135 lbs... so total about 670 lbs. Right around my target weight for the system.
    If the eddie current test doesn't work, I'll probably have to go this route... only drag is steel is about a dollar a pound... and I'll need to get a 675 pound drum of steel 42" wide, and get it machined down in width to 28.5" wide.
    So basically I'll have 200 bucks in metal shavings sitting on the floor if I do this one. =/

Well, anyways, got a crappy phone vid of my first test today. Sorry for junk quality. Was getting dark quick, so had to rush this test a bit. Ooh, and sorry about the first minute of on the vid... was warming up the tires, and I don't have a good editing program for video on my laptop to crop the first part out.
    First couple of pulls you can tell I have too little weight I'm moving. Thing spins right up!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=46370940

Will give the eddie current brake a try on Friday when I finally get some free time!

- Pixel -

Ooh. Dlish... Even though I've never done one in the streets... Coasters on the machine felt pretty cool lol.

You still get first try after I get it dialed in... Try to be patient! I'm working away at it!

- Pixel -

I got nothing but time

Quote Originally Posted by pixel 6 View Post
    Ok, here's where the project is at.

Test 1: Couldn't get traction, so did diamond knurling and increased the down pressure.

Test 2: Got traction, but the fly wheel pulleys were giving the drums a 1 to 1.3 ratio. That ratio made the fly wheel spin faster than the drum, making the wheelies feel wrong on launch, and engine braking. Also had to use way too much throttle to both launch it, and keep it at BP.

Test 3: Today. Got a new fly wheel put on the system, at a 1 to 1 ratio. So now the wheelie feels right when it's at BP. However, I now have a problem with too little rotating mass. The acceleration on the launch feels too light. But I have no problem spinning up the mass I'm moving.

Based on the weight of steel, and plugging in some numbers, The drums each weigh about 75 lbs. So a 150 lbs combined there. The fly wheel also weighs about 150 lbs. So the mass I'm currently moving is 300 lbs give or take.
    The number I'm looking for, is the weight of the bike plus rider... so figure 450 + 150 on the low side... 600 lbs. I'm a little over 200 lbs... so my target number would be more like 650 or so.
    So I'm now 350 lbs too shy on my rotating mass.

So my possible solutions, are

1: Add the fly wheel from my other dyno to the fly wheel on the existing one. Brings me to 450 lbs, so still 200 lbs shy. Would be fairly easy to do though, so might give this one a test.

2: See if the eddie current brake will work with only one side of the dyno plugged in. If I get lucky here, I can use the eddie current brake to resist the 300 lbs I'm moving, and make it feel like 650 or whatever.
    Only reason I don't like this one, is the system starts to become computer controlled, rather than a mechanical system, which I'd prefer.

3: Plugging in the math, a 28" drum, 8.5" thick, would weigh 460 lbs. Then add the other drum at 75 lbs... and fly wheel at 135 lbs... so total about 670 lbs. Right around my target weight for the system.
    If the eddie current test doesn't work, I'll probably have to go this route... only drag is steel is about a dollar a pound... and I'll need to get a 675 pound drum of steel 42" wide, and get it machined down in width to 28.5" wide.
    So basically I'll have 200 bucks in metal shavings sitting on the floor if I do this one. =/

Well, anyways, got a crappy phone vid of my first test today. Sorry for junk quality. Was getting dark quick, so had to rush this test a bit. Ooh, and sorry about the first minute of on the vid... was warming up the tires, and I don't have a good editing program for video on my laptop to crop the first part out.
    First couple of pulls you can tell I have too little weight I'm moving. Thing spins right up!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=46370940

Will give the eddie current brake a try on Friday when I finally get some free time!

- Pixel -

Ooh. Dlish... Even though I've never done one in the streets... Coasters on the machine felt pretty cool lol.

You still get first try after I get it dialed in... Try to be patient! I'm working away at it!

- Pixel -

pretty awesome.

So how is the fine tuning coming along?
    2004 Blue GSX-R 600 Ghetto Fenderectomy

Been really cold... will probably wait until the first of the year to do more work on it. The last change I did to the system didn't work... so I know what direction I need to go now.

I should have it ready to play on by spring for sure.

- Pixel -

Might be too late for this, but I have a suggestion. I'd think that you'd want the bike turned the other direction, so that if someone freaks out, they don't bail and land on the tongue of the trailer or your truck.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Might be too late for this, but I have a suggestion. I'd think that you'd want the bike turned the other direction, so that if someone freaks out, they don't bail and land on the tongue of the trailer or your truck.

Come on, you'd have to be some kind of a pussy to bail off a stationary bike. Whoever does that deserves the pain that ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    good point...

Quote Originally Posted by HR636 View Post
    Come on, you'd have to be some kind of a pussy to bail off a stationary bike. Whoever does that deserves the pain that ensues.
    better one lol

...Vagina really IS everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by HR636 View Post
    True, but at the same time, people love to sue others in this country for less.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825