Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cops can be such dicks

Re: Cops can be such dicks

Well there are only a couple of things that I pointed out in my original posting that have me upset.

• The CSP came up from behind me closing at a speed well over 25MPH greater than other traffic. It scared the hell out of me and would anybody else who pays attention to what is going on.

This is a Colorado tactic that I have seen used when I was in a car as well. They sit on the side of the road and if they see somebody who appears to be going fast, they take off in pursuit. They rush up on the supposed speeder and get right on his ass. I guess they have to be THAT close to pace the car to see if it is in fact speeding before they turn on the lights so you know whats going on.

Don't these guys have Radar, VASCAR, LIDAR, Laser or some other tool at their disposal? Once a guy is found to be speeding then turn on the lights and let other traffic know you are in pursuit. If the car is going to run, he's going to run either way and being on his ass is only a slight advantage.
    • The guy had an attitude problem. A serious ATTITUDE problem.

I don't want to sound like the habitual speeder or anything but just a couple of weeks ago after coming back into the country from Canada I got going a bit over the speed limit in Montana.

It was at night, same as here. He clocked me from his vantage point in the center median hidden in the bushes (the CSP officer was on the right shoulder instead). He pulled out on the freeway and turned on his lights. I saw him and imediately pulled over.

Yes I got a ticket, no he was not condisending or even impollite. He gave me the ticket, I paid him on the spot (that's the way it works in Montana), and he gave me a receipt. We chatted for a few seconds and I was on my way (thinking to myself I should turn the radar detector back on).

I firmly believe that the CSP is trained in techniques that really arn't required 99% of the time. It must be the Cheney theory, if there is a 1% chance then every and extreeme step must be taken and the public should be treated as if they were going to kill you.

Lastly, yes lets keep it clean and fair. I don't hate police, I just haven't seen them do anything good for me in many years. This one had a problem. Yes, to file complements or complaints: http://csp.state.co.us/compliment_concern.cfm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Oh, when riding, ALWAYS ask permission to remove your helmet. Some officers can consider it brandishing a weapon.
    I can't think of a time that I have been pulled over by a cop that I wasn't already stopped and had my helmet off before they even come to a stop.

Showing a mostly bald head with gray hair around the side has never hurt anything either.

Humm,,, you know.... what if we made a formal invitation to the CSP to come visit with us at bike night some time. Give us a chance to meet them. We can hear what they think and what they would like to see us do should we ever screw up and they feel the need to pull us over.

Ok, I have my flame suit on now. let it rip

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeoBe View Post
    Not to be rude but <snip>

Im not gonna keep going on, but i will say there are times you need to just keep your opinions to yourself.<snip>
    Enough said. You're a cop aren't you? OKD's comment of attitude is the basis of my complete and udder disdain for cops. I don't care what cop -- they ALL have attitudes. They have to ---- to survive in that line of work.

Oh ----- and I won't keep my opinion to myself --- ever.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by OldKneeDragger View Post
    Humm,,, you know.... what if we made a formal invitation to the CSP to come visit with us at bike night some time. Give us a chance to meet them. We can hear what they think and what they would like to see us do should we ever screw up and they feel the need to pull us over.

Ok, I have my flame suit on now. let it rip
    I can say that I have never been pulled over on my motorcycle. I have gotten several speeding tickets in several cars but nothing on my bike.

OKD, I understand what you are saying and I think it is a pretty good idea. That being said, I really cannot imagine cops showing up to bike night to discuss what we need to do. Now, if we had a social event like a BBQ (Food, drinks, entertainment maybe for the members and their kids) or get together at a park where most of the SOCO members met and made a day of it then maybe. With the current memeber turnout for bike night, does it really do any good to address a group of 10 to 15 people about how to act when another 100 to 125 people are not attending?

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Enough said. You're a cop aren't you? OKD's comment of attitude is the basis of my complete and udder disdain for cops. I don't care what cop -- they ALL have attitudes. They have to ---- to survive in that line of work.

Oh ----- and I won't keep my opinion to myself --- ever.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Call the department - file a complaint. Surly there is some merit in the fact he didn't even give you a business card.

I know for a fact your complaint will be taken seriously, if you are level headed and don't fly off the deep end when you're on the phone with the Sergeant.

And Nik_ninja - Your statement that all cops have attitudes is simply not true. Look at ODK's post about his experience with the LEO in montana.

Don't you know?... the "Ninja" was beaten as a child and ever since has not held authority figures in very high regard. Plus he lives in Boulder so his views are a little skewed.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    Don't you know?... the "Ninja" was beaten as a child and ever since has not held authority figures in very high regard. Plus he lives in Boulder so his views are a little skewed.
    Beaten or not beaten enough, who can decide?

Like I need your support

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    But we love him anyway.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

a cop cannot tell you to stop recording him bc he is in public view and you can record him because he is in plain sight.

I just got the call back from the public relations officer. A complaint has been filed and I extended an invitation for a representative (along with the cop in question) to meet with me (and any body else that would like to join).

Could be a good chance to clear the air. There must be another side to this story and I would like to hear his version.

The complaint process is a formal process that requires an internal investigation. They will send me a written letter reporting their findings within 30 days.

Good on ya OKD!
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by OldKneeDragger View Post
    The complaint process is a formal process that requires an internal investigation. They will send me a written letter reporting their findings within 30 days.
    I can see the letter now:

Dear Sir,

Our finding are as follows:

1: He's a cop.
    2: You're not

Our recommendation is to suck it up and thank whatever God you think will listen that he didn't whip your ass or just shoot you in the bargain.

{Removes tongue from cheek}

In all seriousness, good on ya for filing, and best of luck. Maybe the next time you interact with that particular cop, he'll be having a better day, and you'll have a better experience.

Merlyn
    - 2006 Buell XB12R Firebolt: Elvira, the Gothic XB

"It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
    It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
    that hands acquire shakes,
    that shakes become a warning...
    I am... IN CONTROL... OF MY ADDICTION!"

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post

Dear Sir,

Our recommendation is to suck it up and thank whatever God you think will listen that he didn't whip your ass or just shoot you in the bargain.

In all seriousness, good on ya for filing, and best of luck. Maybe the next time you interact with that particular cop, he'll be having a better day, and you'll have a better experience.

Merlyn
    No offense, but ODK has a good shot here. The CSP is pretty good about investigating complaints. You figure, Every complaint that is formally filed goes directly to IA(Internal Affairs). Since not much goes on in the state patrol (nothing aside from traffic related issues anyhow), IA has a lot of time on their hands. When people have a lot of time on their hands, they usually do pretty good with the few task's they're given..

If you filed a formal complaint, it WILL be investigated, and there are a few possible outcomes: Founded, Unfounded, or somewhere in between the two, which is referred to as "Unsustained."

The CSP does a good job at investigating complaints.
    Last edited by fullgrownbear; Tue Oct 28th, 2008 at 09:38 PM.

OKD you messed up. You were supposed to tell the cop, "Don't make me get off this bike and come at you like a Power Ranger!"
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

AKA "Devaclis"

I for one like police officers. There are some I know personally who I do not care for but in general, I have had nothing but good encounters (even when I was being pulled over)

It is a job that not many want. Those who do not like them would not be willing to take on their jobs. Yeah, there are bad apples, just like in sport bike riding. Are you gonna say that all of us riders are assholes just because people like Bueller and Ralph ride too? c'mon!!!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post

Dear Sir,

Merlyn
    I also like cops, but that is pretty funny. The whole visual of OKD doing a Power Ranger bit made me spit up a little coffee

Wow what a firestarter.

It's been a week after the fact, but I suppose I should post my view of things.

Actually, I didn't think much about it on saturday, and then sunday I came down with a terrible stomach flu-like disease that had me on my butt for 3 days. Now the wife has it...

So,

Were coming back from bike night at a good clip. Faster than the flow, but not just flying by any stretch. There was no way we were going more than 10 over when the CSP came screaming into the picture. I should point out here that that guy came up on me so fast that I had started to move into the other lane as part of my normal defensive riding to avoid being run over.

It was not until the car was just passing me that I realized it was a cop, and it was not until he had completely passed me that he turned on his lights. Ron had already seen all of this happening and immediately signaled and pulled to the shoulder when the cop finally put on his lights.

By now, I'm in the right lane with the cop hovering over the center line, and continuing to slow causing traffic behind me to become an issue. At this point, the officer used the bullhorn and made it quite clear that it would be a good idea for me to "PULL TO THE RIGHT, NOW!."

At this point, I'm starting to think that either this cop has lost his mind, or some prankster has attached some form of anti-cop propaganda to the back of my bike in a provocative way. So I signal and pull onto onto the shoulder. A few moments go by, and Ron pulls up behind me followed by the cop (and a crapload of traffic). The cop gets out and Ron immediately tells him what he thinks of his tactics. This conversation (argument) between Ron and the officer goes on for several minutes. Long enough for me to take off my gloves and helmet, get my license, insurance, and registration, wipe my face shield, adjust my jacket, and keep my hands warm over my radiator.

Finally, the officer comes to me and asks for my info, which I give him. He then says "I'll be back with your ticket" and leaves. Remember that our only other conversation at this point has taken place over the bullhorn.

I've been stopped my share of times, and NEVER has an officer not told me immediately why I was stopped. In fact I'm fairly sure that this is a requirement. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, judging from the bits of conversation I could pick up through the traffic noise, the cop was not happy with our speed. I figured at this point, the worst-case scenario is that he had a radar lock on one of us, and he might squeeze a reckless driving on the other. OR the more likely scenario will be a warning. While the cop is gone, I ask Ron if he was told how fast he was going. He said no.

Cop comes back and goes to Ron-the-troublemaker first. The traffic noise was bad enough that I could only hear when Ron and the cop were really getting pissed so here are the highlighting moments:

Cop says "I should write you a ticket but I'm going to let you off with a warning"

Ron says something else about the overkill and aggressive tactics (more traffic)

Cop says "I pull you over and you argue. I say I'm going to give you a ticket and you argue. I let you off with a warning and you still want to argue. I should write you a ticket anyways."

The officer finally came over to me, handed my info back, and said "did you hear that?" I responded with "most of it" and he said "slow down!" and started walking back towards his car. Ron caught him again, and they talked for a couple more minutes. We left.

The officer did give me the CSP contact card which is filled out with his last name and badge number. The guy definitely had an attitude problem.

I don't make a habit of speeding, particularly on the bike. I enjoy spirited rides as much as anyone else but speed limits are still speed limits and they should be respected. This is the first time I have ever been stopped without immediately being told why. On the other hand, this is also the first time I have been stopped by a crazed lunatic in a police uniform who is going through some kind of purple pill induced hallucination.

-Brian
    Last edited by Igor; Sat Nov 1st, 2008 at 02:17 AM.

Sounds like he was an ass, or in a bad mood, or perhaps just came from a traffic fatality where a child was killed, or, or, or.

Maybe he was having a bad day, maybe he is a jerk. Either way, you got a warning and he was unprofessional.

One of the purposes of a traffic stop is to educate the offender/public on what they are doing wrong. Sounds like he failed.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    ... Ron-the-troublemaker...
    I hearby nominate this as his new name. Can I get a second?

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Second!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whoring myself to all ladies in town to raise 2 million dollars.

Current Ride

It is very difficult to explain but it is automotive engineering porn.
    Mark Evans
    "A Bike is Born"

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post

I don't know, OKD sounds pretty good. We would have to call him RTT, or RT Squared, or RT2. I like OKD better.

There's no place like home............

So I just got a follow up call from the "district commander" (Charles Cargin). He had the officer who pull us over document the events as he saw them and compared his version with my version.

Surprisingly they were almost identically the same.

When the officer first saw us he wanted to get a license plate so he came up quick and close so he could read the plate and call it in. The reasoning he had was that a lot of the "crotch rockets", especially around the base will run.

He described the arguments we had and what had transpired.

According to Chuck (the commander), the officer had been reprimanded to some degree for some of the things he said.

He asked what else I would like to see happen.

Once again I suggested that some one from the department join us for perhaps 10 to 30 minutes at one of our bike nights. Purpose would be to have an open and frank discussion of tactics the officers use to apprehend potential traffic violations and how we as bikers should handle the situation to avoid problems.

So I will be missing this weeks bike night since I need to go to Southern NM and visit my mom. How about if I offer a date like the 21st and invite him to join us?

I'll see if I can find a good place to eat that has a "back room" where we might be able to visit. Will anybody else join me?